Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 22-09-2020, 09:17 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

setup DMK 51AU02 in PHD2

Hi, I'm having issues with this camera. Running windows 10, I have the drivers installed, it's recognised in Device Manager. Using SharpCap and PHD2 I can select it but there is no image. If I switch to my ASI camera there is an image, but not the DMK, even though it shows up as available in the camera menu. I've tried different USB cables and ports, but no success.
I've recently bought this, and am trying to set it up for the first time.
I'm hoping someone with experience with these cameras could help?
Thanks
Stephen

Progress report - it works with Celestron's iCap 2.4, but only when I reduce the frame rate. A relief that it's not a hardware issue...
There doesn't seem to be an option to reduce frame rate from the default 15fps in PHD2, which might be part of the issue. I've got the drivers from DMK installed, so it's recognised in PHD2...
Old 22-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Stephen,

Can I suggest you download IC Capture which is the image capture software package written and supplied by Imaging Source for all of their cameras.

I have this package and have used it as my backup to test cameras and settings when things just don’t seem to be working properly for the two DMK cameras I have. It is robust and reliable.

Steve.
Old 22-09-2020, 10:22 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Thanks Steve. I've downloaded IC Capture 2.5, and the camera runs but only at the rate of 7.5fps or lower. It works though, which is great.
I think the issue is in PHD2, which recognises the DMK but doesn't seem to have an option to reduce the frame rate below the default of 15fps. Unfortunately this camera doesn't seem to work above 7.5 fps.
Is there a way to change the frame rate outside of PHD2? Otherwise, I might have to look into alternate guiding software.

Thanks for your help.
Old 22-09-2020, 01:56 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

PM sent
Old 22-09-2020, 03:33 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Following some advice on a working setup from Ken, I've rolled back the driver to v2.9.4.1923, and IC Capture to v2.4.

Still no luck after selecting the camera as "Windows WDM-style Camera". Ken mentions it working under "UVC Video", but I can't see an item for UVC Video in the pull-down list for selecting camera, within the "connect equipment" dialog box.

One other thing I should mention, I'm running windows 10. I've also come across INDI in web searches, and was wondering if this might be the answer? If I select "INDI Camera" there appears another dialog box, asking for driver information. Screen grab attached.

Do you think I should check INDI options?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (7.png)
37.5 KB13 views
Old 22-09-2020, 03:52 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

PM sent
Old 22-09-2020, 04:04 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

INDI is Linux. Oops.

Maybe I need to look at alternatives to PHD2 in windows 10. The DMK works perfectly in IC Capture 2.4 @ 8fps. I can't seem to change the frame rate from 15fps in PHD2...
Old 23-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Stephen,
I can't see any significant differences in set-up/ software etc. other than I use Win7 32 out in the observatory.
The DMK51 works for me under PHD2......
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (phd_dmk01.JPG)
63.2 KB11 views
Click for full-size image (phd_dmk02.JPG)
62.5 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (phd_dmk03.JPG)
43.4 KB7 views
Old 23-09-2020, 01:40 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Thanks for taking the time to check this out Ken. It might be a Win10 issue, but I can't tell for sure.

I'm going to try running PHD2 in Ubuntu, see if the Linux version has the same issues.

I suppose I could always use my ASI290MM for guiding, and the DMK 51 for capture, as I'm setting up for deep sky objects...
Old 25-09-2020, 12:50 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

Just wrapping this up, I managed to get a Linux version of PHD2 up and running on my PC. There would be a bit of work involved in sorting out the INDI drivers, and so I've decided to change tack and take the path of least resistance. Staying in Win10, I'll use my ASI290MM with PHD2 for guiding, and the DMK 51AU02 will be my main capture camera, running IC Capture 2.4.

Hopefully this setup will get me started towards learning how to guide.
Thanks for the help.
Stephen