ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2016, 08:09 AM
CAAD9 (Adam)

Impromptu look last night

I had a quick look at Jupiter with the Ten dob last night. I observed at 200x and 333x magnification. At first the higher magnification looked washed out but as the atmospheric disturbance came and went, the higher details revealed themselves.

I was very happy to see the GRS. I had not planned anything, so it was just lucky to see it there. I thought I could see circular white features in the North Equatorial Band. Also the NEB is clearly not of uniform width. There were two moons either side with the two on the west side being really close.

I must look again tonight, see where the moons are now. There's that dynamism again.

Anyways as part of my post observation reading I was reminded about GRS jnr, aka Oval BA. Has anyone ever seen this feature in their scope? It's my new target . It's about half the size of the GRS and is further south. Apparently they pass each other every 2 years.

Also I tried to take photos through the Eyepiece with the iPhone. Didn't go so well. Does anyone know how to do photos through the EP with an iPhone so that it does not over expose?

Cheers all.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:30 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I am so excited to have people posting their observation reports along with mine. This is sooo cool!

Keep 'em coming!
Old 24-03-2016, 11:25 AM
CAAD9 (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I am so excited to have people posting their observation reports along with mine. This is sooo cool!

Keep 'em coming!
Cheers Ed.

I had to quickly pack up and run back inside when the drizzle came last night. Luckily I had already put the lid back on the dob. I thought of you having to worry about snowfall!

I may have mentioned before, that is a very exotic concept to someone living in Brisbane.

Clear skies my friend.
Old 24-03-2016, 01:53 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

I have had a couple of peeks at Jupiter this week from Melbourne. I have had a "new" 5" refractor waiting for a good test run for about six months, so broke it out for a Jupiter session.

Seeing was awful, however, with one of those gusty SE winds blowing. The 5" is a lot larger than my 4" APO, but I immediately saw the GRS, and a shadow transit in progress. I quickly confirmed this with some software - Io was in transit, and the GRS was visible. The scope really feels the wind though - quite a lot of wiggle and shimmy - probably too much for my mount.

I set up my 4" to compare, and definitely could see more detail in the 5", but the 4" seems sharper.

The next night was still breezy, but less so, so I tried again. Seeing again wasn't great but I could see a lot more detail in Jupiter's bands. With Mars and Saturn much higher in the Melbourne sky in a month or two, I'm looking forwards to spending more time evaluating the 5".