Old 22-03-2018, 05:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Driver for 300d canon

Just spent some time looking to find a driver for a canon 300d
Can anyone suggest a site to get a driver for my old canon 300d as I have some photos on it from 10 years ago of eta carina that I think I took with my 12 inch.
alex
Old 22-03-2018, 06:31 PM
chromus (Phil)

Which Digic does it have? You usually only need to match the Digic chip type not the camera model.
Old 22-03-2018, 08:24 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Alex,

Are we talking about this camera?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_300D

I have one of these too, though I'm probably misunderstanding your question... Are you trying to access the pictures stored on the CF card plugged into the camera? Is something preventing the use of a CF card reader on your PC?

Maybe you're referring to some usage/feature unique to AP? If so, I'm keen to hear - my efforts to employ it have yielded poor results

If you're referring to something beyond the obvious CF card access, I'm happy to try things with mine.

Regards,
Andy.
Old 23-03-2018, 06:44 AM
leon

I think I know what Alex means.
He wants to plug his Camera into the Computer using a lead usually supplied with the camera, but the computer needs to know which Camera wants to do this hence a driver for that Camera is needed.
Other than that if Alex has a computer with Card slots, it might be a simple plug in the Card method and the Computer will read it, maybe

Leon
Old 23-03-2018, 08:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Hi Alex,

Are we talking about this camera?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_300D

I have one of these too, though I'm probably misunderstanding your question... Are you trying to access the pictures stored on the CF card plugged into the camera? Is something preventing the use of a CF card reader on your PC?

Maybe you're referring to some usage/feature unique to AP? If so, I'm keen to hear - my efforts to employ it have yielded poor results

If you're referring to something beyond the obvious CF card access, I'm happy to try things with mine.

Regards,
Andy.
Yes Andy that is the camera.
I have photos on this camera from approx a decade ago that I have not downloaded and noticed I have some eta carina captures done thru my 12 inch scope and some other stuff, a possum, a parade, the harbour bridge and stuff around Sydney including the Maritime Museum...I cant recall why they are there but I think what happened was as follows...I took the photos and left my lap top open when I went to bed...somehow the neighbours cat got in the house and threw up right in the middle of the key board rendering the lap top useless ...so as it was some time before I replaced the lap top, at which time I presumably purchased a new camera, the photos stayed on the camera and went un noticed until I found then last week.
I just want to plug the camera into the computer and download then.

Alex
Old 23-03-2018, 08:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I think I know what Alex means.
He wants to plug his Camera into the Computer using a lead usually supplied with the camera, but the computer needs to know which Camera wants to do this hence a driver for that Camera is needed.
Other than that if Alex has a computer with Card slots, it might be a simple plug in the Card method and the Computer will read it, maybe

Leon
Yes Leon you are correct...I just want to plug it in like I do with my current cameras and download via the lead.

Its just that the driver sites I have come across seem to want more than I am prepared to give...I ask for a 300d download and thry want me to go on their news letter..that sort of thing.

I doubt if I could plug the card in anything as I recall it was a huge 1 gig card about the size of a match box.

ales
Old 23-03-2018, 08:20 AM
speach (Simon)

Can't you just whip card out and use a card reader to download them?
Old 23-03-2018, 08:37 AM
CJ (Chris)

EOS Utility should do the trick.

https://www.canon.com.au/support/sim...C0E19&ctype=ap
Old 23-03-2018, 09:42 AM
JA

Hello Alex,

Remove the Compact Flash Card from your Canon 300D and use a USB to Compact Flash CArd (and other cards) adapter. They are a few dollars to a max of 20-30 on eBay. When you plug it in to your computer's USB socket in will pop up and be able to be read as a folder. Probably similar available in most PC stores and other retailers...

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...f+usb&_sacat=0

Best
JA
Old 23-03-2018, 10:05 AM
bojan
amateur

Alex,
if you really want camera connected with cable, try here (you need Zoom browser):
https://www.canon.com.au/cameras/eos-300d/support

as for DPP... . if you do not have original installation disk, try this link, everything is explained there:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/i...re-without-cd/
Old 23-03-2018, 12:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Alex, don't over-complicate things. What you describe as big as a matchbox is the battery The memory card is located on the right side of the camera (looking from the back) under a small door - very obvious to find.

Go out to Big W, Harvey Norman, KMart, Camerahouse etc and buy on of the CF card adaptors - see my image below. I have had this - obviously - for going on 15+ years, back when I had my first Canon digital camera. I also had a 300D, and used this with it, as the 300D uses CF (compact Flash) cards. I use it today with my Canon EOS 5D Mk II. I bought mine in Singapore for a whopping $2...

Just open the side port, remove the card (press the eject button with the camera OFF), insert into CF card adaptor (it'll only go one way, but don't force anything anyway), and plug that into a USB port on computer. The computer will do a first time install of the onboard driver for the adaptor (you need to do NOTHING except wait for it to finish - it does everything itself). Once it's ready, open the files from the pseudo-drive it creates in your drive list. Import the photos from there.

If you shot in RAW instead of jpeg, you will need to find the right DIGIC RAW codec for it (should be a DIGIC II from memory). Adobe Photoshop these days comes with Canon RAW codec anyway, irrespective of which type. If you shot in jpeg, every photo program should see it, including Windows inbuilt apps.

Using the cable attached to the camera is slow, and I have had issues that way previously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cfreader.jpg)
52.9 KB10 views
Old 23-03-2018, 01:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you everyone.
I will see what I can achieve.
I have removed the SanDisk and will take it to a shop and see what I can buy. It is not as big as I remember but a lot bigger than stuff today I think.
alex
Old 23-03-2018, 01:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Canon still uses them Alex. Exceptionally common.

I looked in Woolworths 20 min ago and they had a reader for $9
Old 23-03-2018, 06:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Canon still uses them Alex. Exceptionally common.

I looked in Woolworths 20 min ago and they had a reader for $9
Thank you Lewis for giving me a good reason to leave the house all I have to do now is to decide what weapons to take.

alex