Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 15-01-2018, 04:20 AM
buill

should i be able to see m42 with my scope

hi as mentionde before this is my cheap scope https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...342890122.html it has 20mm,12mm,4mm eyepieces and 2x barlow. the other night i went looking for m42 with no sucess but there was some cloud cover you could see orion belt and bettlejuice with the naked eye but conditions where not perfect and after about 30min of scanning around looking for m42 with 20mm and 12mm eyepieces i gave up although i could see lots of stars that could not be seen with the naked eye my question is should i be able to view the orian nebula with this equipment if conditions where better? thanks
Old 15-01-2018, 07:05 AM
kens (Ken)

M42 is even visible naked eye in sufficiently dark skies. Aim at the middle of the sword hanging from Orion’s Belt.
Also, in daylight, make sure your finder scope and main scope are aligned by aiming at a distant object and adjust the finder.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by buill View Post
hi as mentionde before this is my cheap scope https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...342890122.html it has 20mm,12mm,4mm eyepieces and 2x barlow. the other night i went looking for m42 with no sucess but there was some cloud cover you could see orion belt and bettlejuice with the naked eye but conditions where not perfect and after about 30min of scanning around looking for m42 with 20mm and 12mm eyepieces i gave up although i could see lots of stars that could not be seen with the naked eye my question is should i be able to view the orian nebula with this equipment if conditions where better? thanks
Hi buill,
short answer is Yes.
Actually, you can "see" M42 with the naked eye.
It appears to be the middle "star" in the sword of Orion.
(or in the Handle of the saucepan, if you prefer).
Of course it is not a star, but a bright nebula.
And the nebula is normally discernible with magnification like yours.
The 20mm eyepiece is probably going to give you the most pleasing results.

Keep at it, as it is certainly worth the effort.

Of course, you will get better contrast when the sky is darker (eg no bright moon), and there are fewer lights in your viewing area.

Hope this helps

Edit
And as Ken said, important to make sure your finder is aligned.
Old 15-01-2018, 11:52 AM
geolindon (Lindon)

g day, +1 for yes as above.

in the picture u linked to, the 'scope appears to have a two part tube cap. the smaller opening for reducing brightness eg when viewing the Moon, the entire cap should be removed for best results at other times. just in case . . . . u wouldn't be the first

L
Old 15-01-2018, 10:33 PM
buill

thanks for reply's ill keep trying i reckon the problem was the slight cloud cover and orion was fairly low down in the sky when i was trying the scope was at about 30degrees just hope i get some clear skys soon