Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Conjunction of mars and jabbah

Well ..I set the alarm for 4.15am here in Sydney and it was mostly clear, seeing so so...and there they were ...Jabbah , Mars, Jupiter and Saturn...

Jabbah or Nu Scorpii Scorpii..looks like a lovely widefield Binocular double , at separation 41.60 " at mags 4.35 ,6.60; what one immediately notices is how big a magnitude delta there is between the 2 pairs..Mars. 1° way , was only mag +1.2 and 5.7".

With an average sized scope of over 4"..Jabbah can be split again into 2 pairs at 2.4" and 1.3"(the brighter pair AB) on a night of good seeing...This star is also called PINYIN in Chinese Astronomy!

My 130mm TS Triplet made short work of both pairs ...1.3" , not at first but after some minutes of good seeing there they were, like 2 bright orbs...kissing.

Not a huge colour contrast difference between the 2 pairs ..but the brighter AB pair seeming, a pure white as compared to a blue white of the CD pair.

AB:Mags.. 4.4 + 6.6
CD:Mags..6.5 + 7.9.

Absolutely gorgeous to behold in a Delos 3.5mm ..mag 260x , or even a 3.2 dual ED mag 284x completely split, its my surprising EP...the Orthos got a run too, with the 2.5x barlowed 9mm KK at 260x , putting up probably the cleanest show ..no hint of ghosting , flaring etc .

All in all a morning to remember..

Considering lovely Beta Scorpii and Antares were also in the field nearby and split , made it even more so.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 04-02-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Adding info on stars
Old 04-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Sounds like an joyable morning Joe. Thanks for your post. It was clouded out here.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:53 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Sounds like an joyable morning Joe. Thanks for your post. It was clouded out here.
Thanks Steve ..looking forward to some of your posts on same similar eg Xi Scorpii etc.

One of the best mornings I've ever experienced..Lucky I guess, as mostly due to my new scope aquisition.... .this is my sharpest scope EVER!

My wife was shocked when I simply pointed it at the Moon..Craters Ive never seen , or noticed before were there..and this is NO exaggeration or pride of ownership thing , but a very real experience, validated by my Wife ,who likes to occasionally look at interesting objects in the night sky.

So going to bed earlier and waking up early, has finally prooved fruitful, esp after all the ordinary weather many of us have experienced lately.

bigjoe.