Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Andy
I've used a similar combo (EQ6 + PHD + GSO RC8) and the guiding can be tricky! ... this might help https://deepspaceplace.com/gso8rccollimate.php

Cheers
James
Thanks James, appreciate your thoughts and input here - and I'll surely try that collimating method you've documented so well!
Hopefully it will work with my QSI as well as it did with your Canon.
Seems though that a better focuser is mandatory with the QSI - it's a heavy beast!

PS: I've since managed to throw together a rough colour "First Light" as is LRGB test image from data gathered before VicSouth.
Clearly shows up the limitations of the std focusser & my first attempts at collimation!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1365_FB.jpg)
106.3 KB43 views
Old 25-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Trekrider (Barry)

I'm watching this thread with great interest Andy as I too have just got a GSO CF RC8 which I'm running on an EQ6-R mount with PHD2. I think your comment about the focusser being 'substandard' is very generous - I wouldn't rate mine that highly but I do have a Feathertouch Lightweight focusser on order for it.

Did you have any luck sourcing a Dew heater for the secondary?
Old 25-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekrider View Post
Did you have any luck sourcing a Dew heater for the secondary?
Hi BArry, I called Bintel - they're out of stock - We'll have to get one from here - http://www.kendrickastro.com/rcoptics.html

Cheers

AC
Old 25-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Trekrider (Barry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hi BArry, I called Bintel - they're out of stock - We'll have to get one from here - http://www.kendrickastro.com/rcoptics.html

Cheers

AC
Thanks Andy, I was thinking I would have to go to them as well.
Old 25-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

Andy
That's an interesting image. The star at the top right looks okay, but on the others it looks like mis-registration of the colors - can you process again or just do a stack without registration to see what is going on over time. I can't really see any 'bumps' in the stars that would indicate poor tracking, but it does look like your collimation is out and maybe some field curvature too.

Remember - a new focuser won't fix tracking or poor collimation - so it's best to get those sorted first. Is the focuers slipping or just wobbly? Mine is holding up a STL 11k - which is a very heavy camera btw.

James

Edit - btw I can see potential here!

Last edited by Moon; 25-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:09 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Andy,

If you are not doing so already I would recommend binning your guide camera 2x2 at this longer focal length. You will see a big improvement. At 1x1 the resolution is too high and you will chase seeing all over the place.

Peter