Old 28-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Jeffkop (Jeff)
Star-Fishing

Pixinsight help

OK all you pixinsight users ... I have looked and cant find the solution anywhere so here goes ... I want to be able to save an image that has had a screen stretch performed on it ... simple ... Ive done my processing and want to save the image to put on the web, add to a library, what ever. Sure I can save it as a tiff etc but it doesnt save it stretched .. whats the process ??? ... Ive tried a lot, had a look at tutorials, one even told me that saving the picture will save it in its linear form ... I can definately say that is true ... As yet I havent been able to sort this out.

Thanks for your help
Old 28-06-2012, 12:32 PM
h0ughy (David)

the only way to save the screen stretch is to create a clone of the image then apply it to the histogram transformation by dragging the title triangle area and dropping it onto the histogram transformation bottom of the tab - note it changes the image permanently or you can save your whole process to a process icon and save the whole image processing session as a project
Old 28-06-2012, 12:57 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

If you apply the stretch and save in a different format to the image, the stretch can be undone afterwards and returned to its linear state. If this is what you mean. Otherwise as Houghey suggests.
Old 28-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Click the little A to automatically screen stretch in the ScreenTransferFunction.

Then, bring up the HistogramTransformation tool. Reset its settings. Drag the little triangle from STF to the bottom of HT.

I think that's the way; I can't check as I'm on the train to the airport. I think it's basically what h0ughy said.

H
Old 28-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Jeffkop (Jeff)
Star-Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
the only way to save the screen stretch is to create a clone of the image then apply it to the histogram transformation by dragging the title triangle area and dropping it onto the histogram transformation bottom of the tab - note it changes the image permanently or you can save your whole process to a process icon and save the whole image processing session as a project
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
If you apply the stretch and save in a different format to the image, the stretch can be undone afterwards and returned to its linear state. If this is what you mean. Otherwise as Houghey suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Click the little A to automatically screen stretch in the ScreenTransferFunction.

Then, bring up the HistogramTransformation tool. Reset its settings. Drag the little triangle from STF to the bottom of HT.

I think that's the way; I can't check as I'm on the train to the airport. I think it's basically what h0ughy said.

H
Thanks for the heads up guys ... will try that and if successful post my IC4604 with washed out colour ... no wonder with all this rain !!!
Old 28-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Jeffkop (Jeff)
Star-Fishing

Thanks .. got it sorted, but not after some trouble .. you cant have the image already stretched before you drag the triangle over to the histogram tool.
Old 28-06-2012, 08:02 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffkop View Post
Thanks .. got it sorted, but not after some trouble .. you cant have the image already stretched before you drag the triangle over to the histogram tool.
You can, however you need to remember that if you apply a transformation with the histogram transformation tool, you will essentially have your transformation applied twice (hence looks crap).

If you drag it to the histogram transformation tool and then apply it, you then simply need to reset the STF tool.
You do that by opening the STF tool and down the bottom right is a four arrow icon. Hover over it and it says reset. Click it to remove your STF, this will give you back the nice stretched image which is permanently applied. If the reset button does nothing, to the left of it is another icon (tick) that says "Track View" when you hover over it. Click that, then click reset and it will disappear.

Also, i highly suggest you spend a few hours playing with PI tools after watching these videos:
http://www.harrysastroshed.com/pixinsighthome.html
(newbie videos are really good)

More specifically, using the STF tool with the histogram transformation tool is covered in video: Histogram Transformation, around 3:30.

Save these videos to your PC - they are really handy.