Old 21-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I had to use a powermate 2.5X which reduces the image scale the further away you move the sensor. Bear in mind though that the image will get dimmer too.

I found that cameras with pixel sizes of 5um or thereabouts worked best with an SCT. Using a camera with smaller pixels and in particular very small can provide problems for you.
the rule of thumb shows that the optimum for the ZWO is f19 (= 3.75*5). Looks like you are using the 2.5 Powermate at about 2x to provide about f20 - so that's another validation for the rule . Minor point, but surely the image will get brighter as you move away from the 2.5 Powermate?

Interested in your comments on small pixels - what problems have you found?

Last edited by Shiraz; 22-03-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 21-03-2014, 07:13 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Thanks again Ray and Paul for your insights, very interesting.

Quote:
I have a QHY5, a QHY5L2 and a DMK21-618 and could do a quick comparison of performance in the next few days if that would help anyone - and to make sure that the spec advantages of the MT9M034 carry over to reality.
That would be great if you could do that, I'm sure plenty of people will find it interesting, I would at the very least. Only if you get the time though.
Old 23-03-2014, 09:58 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I know it has been mentioned in the thread an I have seen a few things but nothing specific on the zwo forums but in regards to laptop power what would be comfortable laptop specs to run the asi120 with firecapture?

A lot of issues that come up seem to be usb based but that can be got around with a good hub but what in the way of RAM, processor power, harddrive etc.. would be likely to run things smooth?

There is some talk that an intel processor is more user friendly than an AMD or at the least was.

Last edited by JB80; 23-03-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 24-03-2014, 08:29 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
I know it has been mentioned in the thread an I have seen a few things but nothing specific on the zwo forums but in regards to laptop power what would be comfortable laptop specs to run the asi120 with firecapture?

A lot of issues that come up seem to be usb based but that can be got around with a good hub but what in the way of RAM, processor power, harddrive etc.. would be likely to run things smooth?

There is some talk that an intel processor is more user friendly than an AMD or at the least was.
This is something that I'm also interested in knowing.
Old 25-03-2014, 02:03 PM
John K

I would be one that would vouch for the Skynix 2.0 Lumenera camera - it was way ahead of it's time and offers a very low noise CCD with really good after sales support. Lumenera has evolved their cameras to USB3 but they are very expensive. For solar work, I think the Skynix 2.0 still has some benefits.

I am finding that the ASI120mm camera offers a bigger chip, it's more sensitive and higher FPS but also depending on capture settings can also be noisy - but more frames can be stacked to overcome this.

So ASI vote from me or if you can get a second hand unit in terms of the other cameras people have recommended.

Go for mono with planetary - don't go colour if you want high resolution.

Good luck with your purchase and hope you get it in time for Mars.

John K.