Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2020, 02:14 AM
Paramount

New website

Hi
I presume a lot of people here have their own website, for those that have been interested in my astroimages and time lapse videos, I had a website called "Imaging the heavens"

Unfortunately the hosting site has announced that they are "pulling the plug" on June 30th and will no longer be hosting any websites so I've been having a go over the last 4 days at building a new website using Wordpress and Elementor and have managed to get something up and running, it will have a new name but the theme is largely the same ie night and astrophotography. It is called "In the still of the night". It is largely finished now apart from a few tweaks or possibility of extra pages in the future. If you'd like to have a look at how far I've got so far it can be found at the link below. There was no ".com" available but I did get a ".space" which I thought was very apt��

https://www.inthestillofthenight.space

Best wishes
Gordon
Old 04-06-2020, 02:50 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Gordon, if your original hosting company is closing down, you could have just signed up with a new host and asked them to transfer the old stuff across. Most hosting companies would be happy to do this for zero cost. Just saying 😄👍
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 AM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Hi Gordon, if your original hosting company is closing down, you could have just signed up with a new host and asked them to transfer the old stuff across. Most hosting companies would be happy to do this for zero cost. Just saying 😄👍
Yes, I appreciate that, that's what I was informed when the original hosting company contacted me but I wanted a fairly big change in the format so I decided to start from scratch instead

Best wishes
Gordon
Old 04-06-2020, 06:54 AM
leee (Thomas)

Oh MY Gosh. So glad you had to move. As, this is the only way I would have found out about you, and your web site. , It is spectacular, and you have inspired me to try one of my own. Good going Mate.

P.S. It is now tagged to my - "Favorites" page. For easy access.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by leee View Post
Oh MY Gosh. So glad you had to move. As, this is the only way I would have found out about you, and your web site. , It is spectacular, and you have inspired me to try one of my own. Good going Mate.
Thanks, it's much appreciated. I started off by looking online for a web building package and WordPress came out top as it seems to be the most popular, i then looked on YouTube for a basic tutorial which recommended Astra for the templates, Hostgator for hosting and the plugin Elementor for editing. After a couple of hours or so I had the basic format that I wanted up and running and I've just been adding all my images and time lapse videos into galleries. All that is left now is a bit of tweaking, adding more images and videos as I do them and possibly another couple of pages with some tutorials or something similar. I think I started it last Friday evening so it hasn't taken long and the nice thing is there is no coding involved at all
Best wishes
Gordon
Old 11-06-2020, 06:30 AM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Hi Paul
Further to this, I did a bit of research online and it turns out that the hosting company TSOhosting is only pulling the plug on all websites constructed with "Mr Site" web builder (which they bought out a number of years ago) which mine was, on further checking numerous people who had websites made with the same builder were having all sorts of problems in transferring to another host as the package had a lot of compatibility issues and it didn't work so I'm glad I didn't follow that route and decided to build from scratch
Best wishes
Gordon
Old 11-06-2020, 07:42 AM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramount View Post
Hi Paul
Further to this, I did a bit of research online and it turns out that the hosting company TSOhosting is only pulling the plug on all websites constructed with "Mr Site" web builder (which they bought out a number of years ago) which mine was, on further checking numerous people who had websites made with the same builder were having all sorts of problems in transferring to another host as the package had a lot of compatibility issues and it didn't work so I'm glad I didn't follow that route and decided to build from scratch
Best wishes
Gordon
Hey Gordon,

Yes mate, it sounds like you did the right thing for sure. And Wordpress has been the ‘go to’ Platform for a long time now anyway, so you’ve made a good move on that front too. Good luck with your new site. Spectacular images too btw 👍😄
Old 11-06-2020, 02:38 PM
leee (Thomas)

Re- night pictures

Paramount --
So - I said I was inspired to try a few "Star Trail" shots , after viewing your web site.
I have a rather expensive Sony AR7111 so - no problem. Big Problem. The days of the "B" setting are gone. You can set it on S go past the 25th second mark to their "B" setting. And as long as you hold your finger down, the lens will remain open My Finger would give out after a few minutes - let alone Six hours. I'm still inspired, but disillusioned. I'll work on it. OR just go to your site, and enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by leee View Post
Paramount --
So - I said I was inspired to try a few "Star Trail" shots , after viewing your web site.
I have a rather expensive Sony AR7111 so - no problem. Big Problem. The days of the "B" setting are gone. You can set it on S go past the 25th second mark to their "B" setting. And as long as you hold your finger down, the lens will remain open My Finger would give out after a few minutes - let alone Six hours. I'm still inspired, but disillusioned. I'll work on it. OR just go to your site, and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

That's a bit extreme, I'm surprised your finger didn't drop off! Intervalometers are relatively cheap and they also double up as analgesia in that they stop your finger from hurting
Best wishes
Gordon
Old 12-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Beautiful website Gordon, thanks for sharing!