Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Paul Haese

How does a dome connect to skyX for tpoint modelling?

I can connect my scope dome software in simulator mode to the skyX, but cannot connect with the actual hardware running.

For some reason I get an unhandled exception error. I tried using the administrator mode for the scope dome driver software and it still did not work.

Now to another question I have. Not ever having owned a dome before, how does Tpoint add on in skyX control the dome to ensure the slit is open at the right spot? I am assuming using the dome add on will achieve this for me and it will move the dome when imaging too. If I get the hardware to connect. I have read through various help files but just don't have a handle on this yet.

ERNIE (where's the shouting smilie)
Old 24-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Oh your in for a world of pain there, can't wait for the next 100 posts.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Oh your in for a world of pain there, can't wait for the next 100 posts.
Hey be careful Freddo, I could post a certain picture here.

Yeah definitely in a world of pain; but you know it will work out in the end. One problem to be solved after another. Just why could it just for once plug in and work straight up?? Yeah stupid question.
Old 25-11-2013, 02:36 AM
frolinmod

In a recent post on the SB forum you posted your TheSkyX build number and it was extremely old. If you haven't already downloaded and installed the latest daily build, please do so. The build number should be 7398 or higher.

Quote:
how does Tpoint add on in skyX control the dome to ensure the slit is open at the right spot?
Theoretically all you need to do is to 1) properly configure your dome in the dome add on (a one time process), including checking the "couple dome to telescope slews" and (optionally new) "couple dome to telescope tracking" checkboxes, 2) connect to the dome and 3) set "sort for dome" when creating pointing targets in the Tpoint add on.

Quote:
For some reason I get an unhandled exception error.
Not being a dome add on user, I'm not likely to be of much help. You're going to need to gather all your information together, error messages, version numbers, build numbers, dome add on settings, which dome driver you're using in the dome add on, the driver's settings, dome driver software versions, etc. If it's an ASCOM dome driver, which version of ASCOM you're running, etc. and report off to the SB support forum. There are some debugging settings in TheSkyX you can set that might gather useful information, but I don't recall what and where they are off the top of my head. You should ask about those at the same time.

Last edited by frolinmod; 25-11-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:45 AM
frolinmod

Not knowing anything about Scope Dome domes, I presume they have a standalone application for controlling the dome.

Have you set that up and gotten it to work correctly first?

Once you've done that, then how are you interfacing the dome hardware/software with TheSkyX Dome Add On?

Looks like it has an ASCOM dome driver.

I just downloaded and installed the Scope Dome driver standalone application and USB driver from the Scope Dome website. That didn't install an ASCOM driver and didn't seem to be what I really wanted, so I then downloaded and installed just the actual ScopeDomeUSBDome ASCOM dome driver from the Scope Dome website. I went into TheSkyX->Dome->Settings->Dome Setup->Choose->ASCOM Dome, I chose ScopeDomeUSBDome. Then I went into TheSkyX->Dome->Settings->Dome Setup->Settings, which brings up the ASCOM chooser again, I selected ScopeDomeUSBDome then ->Properties, I played around a bit with the Scope Dome ASCOM driver properties (which are extensive), then backed all the way out to TheSkyX proper and successfully connected to the dome. I don't even have a Scope Dome, so I don't know why any of that worked for me, but it did. So far so good. But like I said, I don't have the actual hardware, so can't go further.

No doubt others will know more than I do.
Old 25-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
Not knowing anything about Scope Dome domes, I presume they have a standalone application for controlling the dome.

Have you set that up and gotten it to work correctly first?

Once you've done that, then how are you interfacing the dome hardware/software with TheSkyX Dome Add On?

Looks like it has an ASCOM dome driver.

I just downloaded and installed the Scope Dome driver standalone application and USB driver from the Scope Dome website. That didn't install an ASCOM driver and didn't seem to be what I really wanted, so I then downloaded and installed just the actual ScopeDomeUSBDome ASCOM dome driver from the Scope Dome website. I went into TheSkyX->Dome->Settings->Dome Setup->Choose->ASCOM Dome, I chose ScopeDomeUSBDome. Then I went into TheSkyX->Dome->Settings->Dome Setup->Settings, which brings up the ASCOM chooser again, I selected ScopeDomeUSBDome then ->Properties, I played around a bit with the Scope Dome ASCOM driver properties (which are extensive), then backed all the way out to TheSkyX proper and successfully connected to the dome. I don't even have a Scope Dome, so I don't know why any of that worked for me, but it did. So far so good. But like I said, I don't have the actual hardware, so can't go further.

No doubt others will know more than I do.

Thanks Ernie,

Yes it has a stand alone application. I have that working and opening and moving the dome.

The whole driver is an ascom application. I am using the exact same method in SkyX which you describe.

You have connected using the simulator for the dome. I can connect doing likewise too but when I am trying to connect the actual hardware I get the error message. This is the frustrating thing.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:33 PM
jase (Jason)

Stop wasting time Paul. If you're dealing with ASCOM, download aagware TPointMapper and Dome software. Its a free and simple way of dealing with dome based tpoint runs.
http://www.aagware.eu/aag_software.htm

Before you start a mapping run, just do an imagelink in TSX to sync your scope, then fire up TPointMapper. Too easy.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Paul Haese

Yeah I have that Jase but how does AAG Tpoint Mapper connect to the dome software? I am all ears here, just trying to work it out.
Old 25-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Paul Haese

Its all right I think Jase, I have downloaded AAG Dome and setting up the scope dome software to connect via the dome controls in AAG Tpoint Mapper.

I'll let you know if I get stuck.
Old 26-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Paul Haese

Ok I have it all talking to each other in simulator mode for the dome. I have SkyX talking to AAG Tpoint Mapper, AAG Dome connecting dome and scope. MaximDL is working too with the camera connecting.

Now, once I connect the actual hardware I get a .net error. I have .net 4.0 installed but it says .net 3.5 should be installed. Does this matter?

I will try to uninstall the .net 4.0 and see if I can get the .net.3.5 to work.
Old 27-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Paul Haese

Just an update

Got some great advice from Eric today who advised that I install an older version of the software. I uninstalled the newer version first and then installed the older version.

The standalone software now connects to Tpointmapper and AAG dome, the skyX and even to maximDL. All without a hitch.

I had a long Skype conversation with scope dome personnel last night who were very helpful. Jacek checked out the settings via team viewer and spent hours trying to sort the problem. Which must have been very frustrating for him. That is great service.

So for anyone that buys one of these scopes and has trouble with the 64bit version of windows and the scope dome software, just try an older version, it may just work.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciated the time you took to help out.
Old 27-11-2013, 09:57 PM
frolinmod

Good deal.

You shouldn't be needing AAG Tpointmapper any more. It will serve you better to become familiar with automated calibration in Tpoint Add On.

I notice that you didn't at first install the latest TheSkyX build. I hope you've done so now as you were woefully and tragically out of date.
Old 28-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
Good deal.

You shouldn't be needing AAG Tpointmapper any more. It will serve you better to become familiar with automated calibration in Tpoint Add On.

I notice that you didn't at first install the latest TheSkyX build. I hope you've done so now as you were woefully and tragically out of date.
I have squared that all up Ernie. Bought the add on today and installed the latest build yesterday.