Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Another M16 - first experiment with PI

This is a bit of a first for me processing with PixInsight moving across from StarTools. Appreciate all advice. Think DBE was under sampled and have not touched the stars at all (something to investigate). In Pixel Math R was Ha, G was (I think?) Ha 40% and S2 %60 and Blue was just S2. Lots of fiddling so can’t remember if this is completely correct. Only have 2 hours of Ha data and an hour of S2 data (120s subs). The O3 filter arrives next week. All taken through an ED80 on an HEQ5 with a ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro. I think I should have spent a lot more time on the monochrome Ha and S2 stacks to clean them up before combining. Plan to revisit when I can get some O3 and more Ha and S2. Astrobin link here: https://www.astrobin.com/full/351715/E/?nc=Brasspoodle
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5912481C-2A32-44D8-9D21-9E26A2775814.jpg)
198.9 KB77 views
Old 30-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It has a burning flame look to it. Detail looks good and an interesting colour mapping without OIII
Old 30-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

I was thinking more sunset :-) The colour seemed to bring out some detail, but also some noise. Too weird perhaps?
Old 30-06-2018, 11:18 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I was thinking more sunset :-) The colour seemed to bring out some detail, but also some noise. Too weird perhaps?
You have only one hour of SII which is quite faint in this region so that’s where a lot of your noise will be coming from.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Looking very promising.

I agree with Colin that much more SII would help.

Before you turn completely to the Pixinsight dark side of the force, we beg you to avoid falling into the secret pixinsight argot of undefined abbreviations like DBE. Non pixinsight users will be lost and unable to admire your excellent work. There is still time to save your soul !
Old 01-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Looking very promising.

I agree with Colin that much more SII would help.
Would another hour say be of significance or much more than that again? Small battles with gear always seem to limit time but at least M16 is going to be around for a while. Would longer subs help as well perhaps (if it’s read noise that might be adding into the image)?

Quote:
Before you turn completely to the Pixinsight dark side of the force, we beg you to avoid falling into the secret pixinsight argot of undefined abbreviations like DBE. Non pixinsight users will be lost and unable to admire your excellent work. There is still time to save your soul !
Ha. Noted and my soul may yet be saved. I am translating a lot of the processes to what I know in StarTools - “Dark Background Extraction” being a version of “Wipe”. Very explorative at this point :-)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Well done Ben and I think that the colour is fine for the two channels that you have worked with. You will still have time to grab more data on this when the OIII filter arrives so I would encourage you to stay with it. More data to integrate will make for a better result.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

O3 filter turned up today so hoping rain/clouds should clear by Saturday. Managed to add more Ha and S2 (now about 3 hours of each) and gaining more experience with PixInsight - lots and lots of mistakes to aid me on my way and happy to hear more about them here :-) Altered the colour scheme a little. New version on Astobin.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/351715...dle&real=&mod=

Also a version without colour switching and less colour noise perhaps..?

https://www.astrobin.com/full/351715...dle&real=&mod=
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M16 with more S2 (3).jpg)
198.1 KB10 views
Click for full-size image (M16 with more S2 (4).jpg)
200.9 KB8 views

Last edited by Benjamin; 06-07-2018 at 01:26 AM.