Old 13-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

PHD2 Drift Align Help

Hi - When I use the Drift Align function in PHD2 it first asks me to slew to Meridian Offset = 0 and Dec = 0. Which my G11 connected by Ascom Gemini Telescope happily does.

Once the RA alignment is done next step is the altitude adjustment and this is where Im hitting a brick wall. PHD2 asks me to slew to Meridian Offset 37 and Dec = 0 and when I click the slew button it points west (i.e my house fence).

How/what coordinates do I put into the box to change to equivalent east values?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled.jpg)
54.5 KB44 views
Old 13-03-2017, 09:52 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Use + and - values to change pointing to east or west.
Old 14-03-2017, 07:06 AM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

That was easy! I'll test it tonight
Old 17-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

I finally got some time to test out PHD 2 drift alignment function again and I'm a bit confused!

Basically, the Altitude adjustment slew angles according to PHD2 drift align tool don't make sense. I'll let the photos explain what I'm trying to say:

Pic 1. Mount pointing roughly south (Good)

Pic 2. PHD2 drift align tool connected via ASCOM Gemini Telescope tells mount to slew to meridian and the equator i.e. meridian offset 0 and DEC 0. This looks good too and I can make the necessary Azimuth adjustments

Pic 3 This is where I'm confused! When the mount asks to slew to meridian offset 37 and DEC 18 for the Altitude adjustment. The mount slews to high angle ~60 Degrees and is facing towards north east?? Bad

My understanding was that the altitude adjustment is made with scope facing east and 30 degrees above horizon as shown in Pic 4. Am I wrong? or is there an issue with PHD2?

Please Help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PIC1.jpg)
169.0 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (PIC2.jpg)
172.7 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (PIC3.jpg)
172.6 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (PIC4.jpg)
178.3 KB35 views

Last edited by Manav; 18-04-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: As per Ken's post below I've corrected the Azimuth values; I misread them when using the tool.
Old 17-04-2017, 11:21 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I'm pretty sure that the angles are arbitrary. Zenith and east or west horizon are sufficient.
Works for me anyway. I can do 3 min subs with no drift.
Old 18-04-2017, 08:18 AM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manav View Post
I finally got some time to test out PHD 2 drift alignment function again and I'm a bit confused!

Basically, the Altitude adjustment slew angles according to PHD2 drift align tool don't make sense. I'll let the photos explain what I'm trying to say:

Pic 1. Mount pointing roughly south (Good)

Pic 2. PHD2 drift align tool connected via ASCOM Gemini Telescope tells mount to slew to meridian and the equator i.e. meridian offset 90 and DEC 90. This looks good too and I can make the necessary Azimuth adjustments
The celestial equator s actually declination 0, not 90
Quote:

Pic 3 This is where I'm confused! When the mount asks to slew to meridian offset 37 and DEC 18 for the Altitude adjustment. The mount slews to high angle ~60 Degrees and is facing towards north east?? Bad
I suspect it is slewing to Dec 18 North. You probably want Dec 18 South which would be represented as Dec -18
Quote:
My understanding was that the altitude adjustment is made with scope facing east and 30 degrees above horizon as shown in Pic 4. Am I wrong? or is there an issue with PHD2?

Please Help.
Stay as low to the horizon as you can. 20 degrees is the usual rule of thumb but 30 is ok. Its unlikely you'll ever image that low anyway. Just be aware that some of the drift will include an azimuth error component whcih could either add or subract overall.
Old 18-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Ken you are correct about the initial Azimuth values; I must have taken them when the mount was a CWD. I have corrected these in the post above.

I ended up installing the most recent version of PHD2 and now when using the tool for the ALTITUDE adjustment it shows -65 for Meridian offset and 0 for DEC.

I'll retry tomorrow night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled.png)
12.8 KB25 views