Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2016, 02:12 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Possible close asteroid passage 2013 TX68

http://news.discovery.com/space/aste...nth-160205.htm

"The near-Earth asteroid 2013 TX68, which is thought to be about 100 feet (30 meters) in diameter, will zoom past our planet on March 5. The space rock could come as close as 11,000 miles (17,700 kilometers) — less than 5 percent of the distance from Earth to the moon — or stay up to 9 million miles (14.5 million km) away during the flyby, NASA officials said."

There are also small chances of an Earth collision during a future passage in 2017.

When it was discovered in 2013, it was only observed for 3 days. Consequently there is a large uncertainty in the orbit. Using the NASA horizons ephemerides generator uses an orbit that places the asteroid at 500 000 km from Earth at mag 15. If however the orbit brings it at the close end of the range, 17,000 km, it could be some 6-8 magnitudes brighter.

The closest flyby as observed from Australia will be overnight on Mar 6th. The March 5 date in the passage quoted above refers to USA times. The current prediction places the asteroid in the vicinity of Regulus all evening. However, if the asteroid does end up being a mere 17000km from Earth, the position could be noticeably different.

Australia has prime viewing with Regulus being above the horizon most of the night straddling the close approach. At mag 15 and with uncertain positioning it will be a challenge to locate. If however it turns out to be brighter, a coordinated series of photographs of the night sky could record it.

Colin Legg recorded the passage of 2012DA14 on his remarkable video https://vimeo.com/59831086 using a Canon 5D, 50 mm lens, ISO 8000, f/2.2, 8 second shutter, 9 second intervals.

That body was brightening to 7th magnitude during Colin's video however the body was moving at between 10-20 degrees per hour. TX68 is a much slower moving object moving only 1-2 degrees per hour during the night. This allows for much longer exposures with deeper magnitude reach. This project is well within the realm of a mobile observer armed with a DSLR and 50mm lens and one of the many tracking devices or a small mount. A 50mm lens won't give "astrographic" plate scale. At 15-25 arc sec per pixel. However, if the asteroid position could be located and identified by wide field searches and sent through to other observers with astrographic capable instruments, accurate positioning may be possible and this could contribute to greatly improving precision of orbital elements.

If the flyby is very close, 17000 km, the astrographic observers instrument will need to be close to the wide field survey instrument to avoid parallax issues.

Ideally a team of say 3 observers with 6 wide field cameras patrolling a wide swathe of sky, a number of people with computers reviewing the images looking for the asteroid and a couple of observers with astrographic scale instruments to take the precision images.

Having suggested all this, I'd like to participate in such a group exercise myself. However, I'll be in the air that day and evening flying to Indonesia for the Mar 9 solar eclipse. I'll be spending that night at a Jakarta airport hotel and have a very early flight out to eastern Indonesia next morning and as such any participation by me will be impossible.

Joe Cali
Old 06-02-2016, 06:11 PM
pdthomas23 (Peter)

Re: Possible close passage of 2013 TX68

Joe and anyone else,

I think anyone interested in trying to observe 2013 TX68 has "Buckley's" chance. The 1-sigma uncertainty in the time of closest approach is about 2.5 days and the object could be essentially anywhere in the sky. The nominal orbit has it passing at about 500,000 km. The uncertainty line passes about 17,000 km "above" (to the north of) the Earth, so this is the closest possible distance but it extends about 14,000,000 km in either direction. I reckon that no more than about 10% of the line of uncertainty lies within the Moon's orbit.
It's coming from the Sun-ward side so there is ZERO chance that anyone will pick it up before the closest approach. It MIGHT get picked up by the survey telescopes after it has passed but that will be a bit of a crap shoot. At least it is near New Moon so if the skies are clear, esp in Arizona and Hawaii, it might get found, but by then it will be too faint for the rest of us.
There's really no parallel with 2012 DA14 (now (367943) Duende) in 2013. It came in from the night side (and the south too!) and was recovered from Las Campanas a bit over a month before the passage, with many more observations coming in during the lead-up. We thus knew exactly where to look (as I did) and it was nearly mag 6 just before dawn for us.

News organisations seem to be falling over themselves to stuff-up reporting about 2013 TX68. Even our own Auntie who've described it as a "large" asteroid. Well I guess it is bigger than my house but it is hardly "Armageddon".

Peter Thomas
Oakleigh
Old 07-02-2016, 02:01 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Joe.

Great suggestion for some adept at this!

Let's all hope the line of uncertainty is outside lunar orbit and not as calculated , and it's 14,000,000 million kms away!!!

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 07-02-2016 at 02:05 AM. Reason: add