Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science

Old 12-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I dont know what can you tell me about it?
It was predicted by Einstein's General Relativity theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravit...l_microlensing

I am fairly certain that this effect has been observed and it is due to the direct curvature of space caused by a massive object (gravitational field)

Do you accept that light being distorted or bent around a massive object that has curved space is conclusive evidence of "space" being curved?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes it was.
Thanks I could have looked up wiki.. I thought you were leading up to something.
You asked.
As to evidence of curvature I dont know other than Eddington followed by other observations (two historic observations in Australia) use those observations in support of GR.
I initially was interested in doing an observation replicating one of those observations.
Without an eclipse, capturing stars near the sun in daylight... Impossible stuff I just want to know how to do it.. But my attention has gone to other things
Old 13-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Yes it was.
Thanks I could have looked up wiki.. I thought you were leading up to something.
You asked.
As to evidence of curvature I dont know other than Eddington followed by other observations (two historic observations in Australia) use those observations in support of GR.
I initially was interested in doing an observation replicating one of those observations.
Without an eclipse, capturing stars near the sun in daylight... Impossible stuff I just want to know how to do it.. But my attention has gone to other things
.....have scientists just discovered gravitational waves???

https://www.rt.com/news/328632-rippl...onal-einstein/
Old 13-01-2016, 11:50 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

If they have maybe they will do a paper.
Old 13-01-2016, 05:19 PM
perrin6 (Alan)

Sometimes I think I'm going round the bend, now I wonder if it's just me being in tune with curved space.
Old 13-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
If they have maybe they will do a paper.
the source of the rumor on gravitational waves was Lawrence Krauss

(.....astrophysicists get involved with all sorts of issues Alex.

Yes, Odysseus was real

Astrophysicists have identified the date the suitors of Penelope were killed
http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/Yes-Odysseus-was-real

"Odysseus arrived in Ithaca on 25 October, 1207BC. Five days later there was an eclipse with 75 per cent coverage in the Ionian sea, and it is precisely when the massacre of Penelope's suitors took place," says Papadima. She is entirely convinced of the truthfulness of the described event.
The occurrence of the solar eclipse at that time has been proven with maps by NASA, describing foreseeable natural phenomena from 4500BC to AD10,000.
"Between 1300BC and 1130BC, the years during which the two epics take place, there were 14 solar eclipses. Of the five that would have been visible in the Ionian, two of them had a rate of two per cent helium and therefore were not noticed. Another was west of the sun, so our concern is only with two," explains Papadima.
A total solar eclipse took place in 1143BC, close to the decline of the Mycenaean centres and therefore excluded by the scientists. The second took place on 30 October, 1207BC, in the afternoon until 5.30 pm, reflected in The Odyssey."

Old 13-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Rob_K

That's a pretty weird article Peter, thanks for posting. Hope it's not a career-ender for the "multi-disciplinary team"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"Between 1300BC and 1130BC, the years during which the two epics take place, there were 14 solar eclipses. Of the five that would have been visible in the Ionian, two of them had a rate of two per cent helium and therefore were not noticed. Another was west of the sun, so our concern is only with two..."
Ah yes those damned 2% helium eclipses are exceedingly difficult to see. New one on me, back to the schoolbooks? And as for those other eclipses that are west of the Sun, well, no chance. I hope they mean the disc of the Moon passed to the west of the Sun, ie not an eclipse at all, at least from Ithaca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
"Odysseus arrived in Ithaca on 25 October, 1207BC. Five days later there was an eclipse with 75 per cent coverage in the Ionian sea, and it is precisely when the massacre of Penelope's suitors took place."
"...And full of ghosts is the porch and full the court, of ghosts that hasten down to Erebus beneath the darkness, and the sun has perished out of heaven and an evil mist hovers over all."
"This is an account of the eclipse, which hid three-quarters of the solar disc," says Papadima.
Eclipses must have been a lot more powerful in ancient times. Nowadays 3/4 coverage and you can't tell the difference from a normal sunny day.

Cheers -
Old 13-01-2016, 10:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I wonder how early in mans history humans could predict an eclipse.
Old 13-01-2016, 10:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I speculate that civilisation started with one man who came to power because he said he would put out the Sun and did so... Probably many stories like that.. If there isnt I will write a book.
Old 14-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
the earliest eclipse predicting device is the "Antikythera Mechanism" which is described as the first mechanical computer - Ancient Greece around 200 BC (calculations predicting eclipses even predate the Antikythera Mechanism)

This device could predict eclipses, model planetary motion (5 planets known at the time) etc.

An astonishing mechanism for that time that used gears and levers and was about the size of a shoe box. It could also predict the direction and color of the shadow as the eclipse occurred.
http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr/...68.preview.jpg

https://giahorary.files.wordpress.co...el-frontal.jpg

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 14-01-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 14-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post

Eclipses must have been a lot more powerful in ancient times. Nowadays 3/4 coverage and you can't tell the difference from a normal sunny day.

Cheers -
...we tend to underestimate the technology and resourcefulness of ancient civilisations.

The ancient Greeks invented the world's first mechanical computer (Antikythera mechanism) that could predict eclipses and planetary motion etc.

The Babylonian civilisation had documented all sorts of astronomical events and periodic behaviour in the skies including cycles that extended to as much as 19 years.

Eclipses and other astronomical events were often attributed to supernatural and religious causes (although not by all, as there were many ancient philosophers that believed in a natural cause in every event and observation seen in the environment)
Old 14-01-2016, 12:57 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Have a look at this web page:
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/SEsaros.html

and here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saros_%28astronomy%29
Old 14-01-2016, 05:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Bojan
Old 14-01-2016, 05:56 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

The Sun has been obliterated from the sky, and an unlucky darkness invades the world

Is an eclipse described in the Odyssey?
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/26/8823.full
Old 15-01-2016, 05:33 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
The Sun has been obliterated from the sky, and an unlucky darkness invades the world

Is an eclipse described in the Odyssey?
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/26/8823.full
I will see your Homer and raise you an Irish archaeoastronomer, Paul Griffin at November 30, 3340 BC

http://www.astronomy.ca/3340eclipse/
Old 18-01-2016, 02:21 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
I will see your Homer and raise you an Irish archaeoastronomer, Paul Griffin at November 30, 3340 BC

http://www.astronomy.ca/3340eclipse/
interesting, I wonder what his interpretation of the famous triple swirls are?