Old 25-04-2014, 04:18 PM
allan gould

Trying to access the above URL and same response after rebooting the PC
Allan
Old 25-04-2014, 04:19 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Allan

Can you confirm what version of IE you are using? I just tried it with IE 11 with no trouble. Chrome (my default browser) works fine.
Old 25-04-2014, 04:27 PM
allan gould

OK Safari now opens the home page.. What is next step as I dont want this to continue.
Allan
Old 25-04-2014, 04:47 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

All

Just a warning. With all the attempts to hack websites that occur each hour, as part of my update of the QAF website I installed a firewall. This firewall blocks most of the common attack vectors, which has made the job of keeping the site secure easier.

However it also considers failed login attempts as an attack vector. If you get your user ID/pwd wrong three times within 1 hour, your IP address will automatically be blocked for 1 hour. You are usually advised of this with a message as follows:
Our site software has detected what appears to be the actions of a spammer, hacker or an otherwise bad person. If you have forgotten your password, please contact the webmaster to have your account reset.
Given that most of us only log into the site on a yearly basis, it is easy to forget your password or even your user ID!

To help with this, I have created two new menu options to assist:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...AF%20Login.PNG

As always, please feel free to contact me directly via PM or via the email web at qldastrofest for assistance.
Old 25-04-2014, 04:48 PM
allan gould

Got this message this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Clipboard01.jpg)
88.5 KB18 views
Old 25-04-2014, 04:50 PM
allan gould

Im now an official bad person and blocked from the site.
Hope the food is more enjoyable than this experience.
Allan
Old 25-04-2014, 04:50 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Allan

I have reset the block again. You should get further this time. If necessary, PM me and I will manually reset your password.
Old 25-04-2014, 04:53 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Im now an official bad person and blocked from the site.
Hope the food is more enjoyable than this experience.
Allan
Allan

Sorry you're having so much trouble with the security, but I think you'd all prefer a secure website than one that allows the real bad guys to infiltrate, grab your emails etc and add to your spam count.
Old 25-04-2014, 05:13 PM
allan gould

Still locked out with the same last message although I reset my user name and password but when I went to login with them Im still a bad person.
Oh well I give up.
Old 25-04-2014, 05:18 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Allan, I have manually reset your password based on your last failed attempt to login. See the PM I have just sent.
Old 25-04-2014, 05:49 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Allan

I can see that you have successfully logged on and created an order (#2). Let me know if you need any further help.
Old 25-04-2014, 06:02 PM
allan gould

Couldnt find the Astrofeast option at the start and so had to add it to another order, but all paid for by bank transfer.
What a shemozzle - could you just have a page to tick one box that applies for all nights, I may have inadvertantly ticked a female bunk in some nights just to get some Frauline company (and NOOO comments JJJ).
A simpler tick the boxes with a number of attendants on one page would have been preferable.
But thanks for your efforts David. I just got there in the end.
Allan
Old 25-04-2014, 06:10 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Allan

Glad to hear you got there eventually.

As to the system, yes, I'd like to see a lot of changes - but in the time between taking on the job and going live it was not possible to redesign the system - as they say, it is what it is. Perhaps next year. At least we had a site for this year's event.
Old 25-04-2014, 06:27 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quick Question
What was wrong with the system that Tony and Anna Luise had for many years and seemed to work so well.
Cheers
Old 25-04-2014, 06:46 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Quick Question
What was wrong with the system that Tony and Anna Luise had for many years and seemed to work so well.
Cheers
Ron

Like all things, time is usually unkind. As I recall, the site that existed previously was developed using an earlier generation of technology, was very time consuming to modify, and didn't provide some of the functionality that people (including the Committee) wanted. Managing the orders was a big job for AL & Tony as I recall when I was on the Committee. And I recall some real issues with the bits developed by the professional developer some years ago.

In the intervening time, a decision was apparently made to redevelop the site so that it would provide some of the functionality needed, using a more modern technology stack, and making it possible for more than one person to work with.

When the previous webmaster became unwell, I offered to take on the maintenance, as it was based upon technology that I already used for many other sites (VSS, AAQ et al). Unfortunately the nature of Astrofest makes the e-commerce tool used for orders challenging.

Various people have described their needs as easy. However when you combine various classes of accommodation (some single, others multiple), with pricing structures that have to include pensioners, adults and 2 levels of children, meals etc, and an earlybird discount period, the problem becomes harder. Especially when you also need to identify all people for insurance purposes and keep track of available beds.

Several people have suggested improvements on this thread, and I will be more than happy to investigate these going forward. However at this stage the site is functional and provides the necessary operations.

Alternatively if anybody else would like to take on the job of managing the site in their "spare time" instead of doing observing or research, I would be more than happy to discuss it with them.
Old 25-04-2014, 09:12 PM
stanlite (Grady)

i might consider it, however i have no experience with Joomla (and it looks like a nightmare on back end) i am more of a Weebly fan. Its a mute point as i don't have the time before this years astrofest due to uni and teacher prac. But maybe next year?
Old 25-04-2014, 11:02 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Ron

Like all things, time is usually unkind. As I recall, the site that existed previously was developed using an earlier generation of technology, was very time consuming to modify, and didn't provide some of the functionality that people (including the Committee) wanted. Managing the orders was a big job for AL & Tony as I recall when I was on the Committee. And I recall some real issues with the bits developed by the professional developer some years ago.

In the intervening time, a decision was apparently made to redevelop the site so that it would provide some of the functionality needed, using a more modern technology stack, and making it possible for more than one person to work with.
When the previous webmaster became unwell, I offered to take on the maintenance, as it was based upon technology that I already used for many other sites (VSS, AAQ et al). Unfortunately the nature of Astrofest makes the e-commerce tool used for orders challenging.

Various people have described their needs as easy. However when you combine various classes of accommodation (some single, others multiple), with pricing structures that have to include pensioners, adults and 2 levels of children, meals etc, and an earlybird discount period, the problem becomes harder. Especially when you also need to identify all people for insurance purposes and keep track of available beds.

Several people have suggested improvements on this thread, and I will be more than happy to investigate these going forward. However at this stage the site is functional and provides the necessary operations.

Alternatively if anybody else would like to take on the job of managing the site in their "spare time" instead of doing observing or research, I would be more than happy to discuss it with them.
Thanks for the explanation Dave.
Cheers
Old 26-04-2014, 08:12 AM
h0ughy (David)

managed to invest 40 min to put in the order - the non tech savy are going to suffer big time, as to the thick as two short planks like me. anyway Alan and myself are now booked and paid for. Grady for the record i couldn't get online to book due to the severe thunderstorms we were experiencing - they went all night through to about midday. most interesting really
Old 26-04-2014, 08:29 AM
stanlite (Grady)

Ah so the sacrifice worked then
Old 26-04-2014, 09:10 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlite View Post
Ah so the sacrifice worked then
yes your mount goes up in flames on the 17th