Old 15-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Zuts

Help needed

Hi Guys,

I have decided to buy a CCD camera.

I really cant afford a SBIG4000 XCM but could maybe swing an SBIG2000XCM. The resolution though is putting me off. Landed in oz would be around AUD3300.

Would I be horribly dissapointed with a QHY8, which is 6 megaipxels and from looking at forums appears to take some very pretty pictures. The price of this camera is around 1000 AUD cheaper than the SBIG 2000 XCM let alone the SBIG4000 XCM.

I know the SBIG has autoguiding but i am reasonably happy with my current guiding efforts.

I would be imaging through a Televue 85 and would rarely get to a dark sky site so would normally image with a Astronomic UHC filter in place. I have also decided i want a one shot colour camera. All my imaging is from the local park in Glebe and i cant have a permanent setup so cant afford the time to get LRGB images. Also from listening to Dietmar under dark skies the difference between LRGB and one shot colour is hard to pick so when i do get out to dark skies i would be happy with the OSC.

All ideas comments greatly appreciated
Paul
Old 17-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Zuts

Hi Guys,

Anyone have any comments on this, should i get an SBIG2000XCM or a QHY8?

Any and i mean any comments greatly appreciated

Paul
Old 18-01-2008, 04:38 AM
gbeal

I love the ST2000XCM, and part of this is the ease of use, but mostly the self-guiding. I owned a couple of the QHY earlier versions, and was somewhat disappointed with them, however this may have changed, with the later versions being better by far.
The OSC camera isn't as sensitive, no argument, but for pretty pictures (this is Jase talking here), and ease of use it is hard to beat.
Really, in answer to your question, you need both together in a subjective test, which isn't going to happen, and in reality I figure you will be happy with both/either. Gama is the local agent, and is a member here.
Old 18-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Zuts

Thanks a lot for your reply Gbeal,

I normally image through a astronomic UHC filter because of light pollution. Have you tried self guiding on the SBIG with one of these in place, would the self guiding still work with the reduction in light intensity?

What focusing software comes with the camera and do you use it and how effective is it?

Paul
Old 18-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Have a look at this thread re the QHY8. Maybe contact EddieT re his feeling about the camera?