Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 03-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

New Member Says Hi

Hi, name is Grant. First telescope - bought a Celestron Astro Fi 5' SCT, got the Star Sense camera & hand control.
First night of ownership saw Jupiter - blown away. Got up at 5am a couple of days later & saw Saturn (amazing, just looked like a picture of it out of a comic book), then saw Jupiter, Mars & Pluto all before sunrise all on the same night. Needless to say I'm hooked now. Am already investigating cameras now.
Looking forward to joining you all on the forum and absorbing the wealth of information & advice on offer.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Welcome Grant, enjoy your stay. You’ve certainly started on a high note early on with those planets.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:57 PM
JA

Welcome to the forum Grant

Best
JA
Old 03-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hello Grant and welcome to IIS, it is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable people to help if you need it. I am a little sceptical about you seeing Pluto in your 5" SCT though, at Mag. 14.3 I think it is a bit faint for your scope. Seeing the other planets would have been quite a buzz though. Nobody forgets the first time they see Saturns rings or Jupiters moons and cloud bands through a decent telescope.
I have to add that the light pollution here in Woonona is getting worse and the hills behind us are a cloud magnet that gets most frustrtating at times. Yes, I'm in Woonona too.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 AM
StuTodd

Not Pluto though at magnitude 14.3?!!

Report accurately, understand what you're seeing and learn your scope and limits Grant. Awesome bunch of people here on IIS.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Welcome to the forums Grant and congrats on your 5 inch SCT nice portable scope , one cant see Pluto as a planet rather as a star with at least a 8 inch in a dark site and even then you have to observe over a period (days) to see it move .
I dont think I have seen it in many years of observing only in a professional observatory, and then it looked like a dim star.
I used to have a 130 Skyprodigy and just for fun told it to go to Pluto , but knew I could not see its only the stars close to it , that was is the middle of the karoo area in RSA no lights in sight besides the train I was on ,

Last edited by Rkonrad; 04-04-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Grant,
Welcome to IceInSpace
Sounds like you are off to a great start in this hobby.
Be careful of your thoughts about photographing though.
We all have thoughts initially of trying to capture what we see.
But it is a long and slippery slide down the well of expense when we move to the dark side.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Welcome!

This is probably one of the most rewarding hobbies I have.

Just wait until you get into the world of Astrophotography!

Stefan.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Multiverse (Grant)

Thanks for the welcomes.
Point taken and a learning curve for sure. I was always unsure about Pluto, my Goto set-up slewed perfectly to the other planets I mentioned & they were easily confirmed. Slewed to where Pluto should be and assumed I was seeing it (no definition just a faint glow - must have been a star). After the helpful comments I realise it was impossible & feeling a bit silly now!
Now understand the comment from StuTodd about 'report accurately & understand what you're seeing'.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Greetings!! I'm pleased your astronomy journey is off to such a fine start. It's a great hobby that I have enjoyed for >45 years. I've had wonderful times, seen memorable sights (eclipses, Venus transit) and had many nights of deep-sky enjoyment. But a word to the wise: I've had a few (actually .. quite a few) blowouts too. Nights looking at clouds, great events washed out, left vital equipment at home .. you name it I've probably had the disappointment. The thing is, the good times more than outweigh the bad times. So enjoy the good times and don't let the speed bumps worry you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I have to add that the light pollution here in Woonona is getting worse and the hills behind us are a cloud magnet that gets most frustrtating at times. Yes, I'm in Woonona too.
What's the matter with you two?? Couldn't get a place in Tarrawanna?

Yes the escarpment is a cloud magnet. And good spots over the escarpment are getting further away. These days I just go to my mates place at Bungonia and stay the weekend. Back in the late 70's I could see mag 6.5 from Tarrawanna (mind you, I had eyes then) but these days it's probably no better than mag 5 on a good night, looking west.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hello Grant and welcome to IIS, it is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable people to help if you need it. I am a little sceptical about you seeing Pluto in your 5" SCT though, at Mag. 14.3 I think it is a bit faint for your scope. Seeing the other planets would have been quite a buzz though. Nobody forgets the first time they see Saturns rings or Jupiters moons and cloud bands through a decent telescope.
Thanks for the welcome Jeff.
Yeh, observing in Woonona has its challenges, I'm only 300m to the coast so think there is a bit of sea-spray hovering around at times. I agree the escarpment brings the clouds over too. Still I'm quite impressed with what I could achieve anyway, am looking to travel a little out west around Robertson, Kangaroo valley or Exeter to get away from light pollution.
Looking forward to conversing with you more.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:05 AM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Greetings!! I'm pleased your astronomy journey is off to such a fine start. It's a great hobby that I have enjoyed for >45 years. I've had wonderful times, seen memorable sights (eclipses, Venus transit) and had many nights of deep-sky enjoyment. But a word to the wise: I've had a few (actually .. quite a few) blowouts too. Nights looking at clouds, great events washed out, left vital equipment at home .. you name it I've probably had the disappointment. The thing is, the good times more than outweigh the bad times. So enjoy the good times and don't let the speed bumps worry you.

Yes the escarpment is a cloud magnet. And good spots over the escarpment are getting further away. These days I just go to my mates place at Bungonia and stay the weekend. Back in the late 70's I could see mag 6.5 from Tarrawanna (mind you, I had eyes then) but these days it's probably no better than mag 5 on a good night, looking west.
Thanks David, wow, another local. You never realise how many of us are around until you join a forum.
Yes I'll definitely be looking to travel like you do with my portable scope, already bought different cases for the components.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Welcome Grant

Take your time with this rewarding hobbie, I spent about 8 months researching and gathering information, speaking to amateur astronomers before I even purchased my 1st telescope

As a late starter ( I’m in my late 50’s ) the knowledge has paid off even though I’m still just a beginner

Also learning everything you can about this hobbie can save you $$$ in the long run

Welcome and all the best with your journey through the cosmos

Martin
Old 04-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Dave
Wouldn't want to move further inland to the wrong side of the highway Thanks to the 2 LED street lights 30 metres either side of where I have to set up , though I'm shaded from them, I'm struggling to see Epsilom Crux, naked eye now.

Yes the escarpment is a cloud magnet. And good spots over the escarpment are getting further away. These days I just go to my mates place at Bungonia and stay the weekend. Back in the late 70's I could see mag 6.5 from Tarrawanna (mind you, I had eyes then) but these days it's probably no better than mag 5 on a good night, looking west.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The salt laden air close to the coast is not kind to telescope optics, so I would be reluctant to use the scope when the onshore winds are blowing. Luckily we are coming into the time of year when we get more offshore breezes of an evening, early morning.
Have you thought about maybe joining one of the local clubs to help you on your astral travels, whether visual or photographic. May help shorten the learning curve and guide you over some of the stumbling blocks.

QUOTE=Multiverse;1366339]Thanks for the welcome Jeff.
Yeh, observing in Woonona has its challenges, I'm only 300m to the coast so think there is a bit of sea-spray hovering around at times. I agree the escarpment brings the clouds over too. Still I'm quite impressed with what I could achieve anyway, am looking to travel a little out west around Robertson, Kangaroo valley or Exeter to get away from light pollution.
Looking forward to conversing with you more.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Yes Jeff, have been wanting to look up astronomy clubs, I see there are two in our area? I dropped in to the Oyster Bay Observatory the other week on their open day, the members were all very helpful & I got alot of advice, just would be a little too far to travel up there regularly.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:10 PM
StuTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
Thanks for the welcomes.
Point taken and a learning curve for sure. I was always unsure about Pluto, my Goto set-up slewed perfectly to the other planets I mentioned & they were easily confirmed. Slewed to where Pluto should be and assumed I was seeing it (no definition just a faint glow - must have been a star). After the helpful comments I realise it was impossible & feeling a bit silly now!
Now understand the comment from StuTodd about 'report accurately & understand what you're seeing'.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Hell, don't feel silly bro. Everyone has to learn and we've all made mistakes, best way to learn.

Even the pros do it, on a grand scale...http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=165554

Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post
Hell, don't feel silly bro. Everyone has to learn and we've all made mistakes, best way to learn.

Even the pros do it, on a grand scale...http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=165554

That link certainly was an interesting thread.
So much to learn and that's all part of the fun - fascinating hobby, should have got into it years ago (wonder how many people have said that)?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Grant
Will send you a PM about info on the local clubs and observing.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
Yes Jeff, have been wanting to look up astronomy clubs, I see there are two in our area? I dropped in to the Oyster Bay Observatory the other week on their open day, the members were all very helpful & I got alot of advice, just would be a little too far to travel up there regularly.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:07 PM
CesnaGirl

I'm new here too! So can I say hello and have a hello swing back my way?!