Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 29-03-2018, 03:25 PM
leon

From one IPad to the next IPad Question Please

HI Guys,
I will try and make this short.

Alice has bought a new IPad and has given the old one to me, not that I know much about them.

Anyway I want to start fresh with this second hand IPad and remove all the music, Photos and all the useless App's etc.

Now if i remove this stuff from the old one will it remove the stuff from the new one.

Alice transferred a lot of the stuff to her new one and all the photo's she had as well.

So, is there a problem deleting from the old IPad.

Many thanks in advance.

Leon
Old 29-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Hoges (John)

Shouldn't be a problem, Leon. I have several iDevices - whenever I connect one to the computer (which has the 'master' iTunes), I set them up separately so no one device tries to overwrite the computer. I rarely connect to the computer anymore - I just use wifi to download stuff onto the devices which doesn't affect any other devices.

One thing though - check there isn't a 'Contacts' list on the old device that may need to be saved/synced to the new device first.
Old 29-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Wavytone

Hi Leon, make sure:

1. FindMyiPad (iPhone) is turned off (ie its location is not being tracked), if it has been enabled, to log out requires the previous users iCloud password;

2. She has logged out of iCloud completely (under Settings -> iCloud)

If that has been done you an apply a "Factory Reset" which would be the quickest way to start afresh.
Old 29-03-2018, 07:09 PM
leon

Thanks for that guys, sounds like a factory reset is the way to go I reckon.

Leon
Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Also make sure there are no purchased items on the iPad that are not in your iTunes Library, otherwise these will not be available after a Factory reset. For example, you may have a book, pdf, or magazine which you downloaded on the old iPad.

I think there is a method where you can sync the iPad data back to iTunes or copy e.g. the iPad Book to your iTunes Library.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20509?locale=en_AU

Cheers

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis; 02-04-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:23 PM
leon

Thank You Dennis will look into it.

Leon
Old 03-04-2018, 11:15 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Look into transferring ownership of your ipad but Dennis basically covered it. You essentially have to remove the old ipad from ownership to your wife (I think she does this from her itunes) and factory reset the ipad then it can be registered to your ownship. But Apple dont make things easy or even possible sometimes. I had a difficult time with my old ipad to reset it because i had it jailbroken and factory reset wouldnt work. I dont think its a true factory reset as the rest of the world uses. Eventually sorted it, had a fresh old ipad and everything on my new as well as my own backups of everything i could elsewhere too.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:54 PM
leon

Thanks Sil for your suggestions, the more i read these answers the more i reckon i should just leave it alone, I wont really use it that much.

Leon
Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
silv (Annette)

But remember: if you don't reset it - and then at some stage start deleting photos off it to gain free space you'll be deleting photos from your wife's photo library in the iCloud (if she uses iCloud). Bam - gone.

Better safe than sorry? Then follow these 3 steps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201274
Old 04-04-2018, 06:38 PM
leon

Thanks Annette, that is what worries me, I will follow your suggestions for sure.

Leon