ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-06-2015, 03:52 AM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

an Aussie seeing the northern skies

I'm currently on holiday near the middle of Lake Como in the north of Italy and have had a few occasions in the last week to check out the northern constellations from reasonably dark skies. In the past my European and U.S. holidays have all been in big cities so have had trouble seeing any stars at all.

Anyway, I've managed to make out Ursa Major and Ursa Minor and the naked eye double of Mizar and Alcor. Polaris stands out well - lucky northerners. Cassiopeia is very distinctive and Canes Venatici and Coma Berenices really high. Seeing familiar stars is disorientating with Vega nearly overhead and Arcturus riding high. The so called "Summer Triangle" of Vega, Deneb and Altair is obvious.

Unfortunately no telescope and I'd kill for a good pair of binoculars. Pretty basic stuff but it reminds me of the thrill I first had as a teenager, discovering the southern constellations for the first time with a book from the school library and my grandfather's binoculars.
Old 30-06-2015, 09:45 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Sounds like your having fun, so that's good. Yes, binos are a great travel companion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel003 View Post
...Seeing familiar stars is disorientating....
Have you tried standing on your head??
Old 30-06-2015, 11:20 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Polaris is handy, but no way would I swap our southern skies for the northern ones.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:19 AM
andyc (Andy)

Having done the reverse, after 4 years I still have issues with Orion being 'upside-down' . But the thrill of exploring new skies was special, particularly as I knew it would be the only time I'd be able to do it...