Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 AM
HeavyT

Storing assembled imaging train

Hello again all

How do folks store their assembled imaging train, when they don't have observatories or capacity to wheel mount plus train into climate controlled environments for storage?

Naturally I don't want to have to take flats every time I image, particularly when gathering data over multiple nights.

I see online lots of people seem to just plonk their scopes with everything attached onto a shelf - is this the go? If I buy some hard foam and cut it to profile, I can ensure even pressure along the train?

My alternative is to invest in something like a 120 x 40cm padded hard case, which would make dark site travel a possibility, though only for the right targets as I tend to like to complete a target in one visit on those trips, rather than build it up over multiple sessions.

I had a quick search on here and didn't see a thread, so started this one. Hope that's ok as I'm sure this question comes up all the time, and the solutions are many and varied.

Clear skies all
Old 11-01-2020, 10:46 AM
glend (Glen)

It probably depends on the weight and length of the assembly. I used to store mine in a padded case, which seemed to work fine, even for transport to dark sites. I also used to keep my focuser locked in the "focused" position for that train. Sure it might need a little adjustment but it worked pretty well.
As to your Flat statement, it really depends on your camera imho. A camera like an ASI1600mm-c doesn't really need flats, if your optics and camera sensor are clean. Other cameras can need flats.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:25 AM
HeavyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
It probably depends on the weight and length of the assembly. I used to store mine in a padded case, which seemed to work fine, even for transport to dark sites. I also used to keep my focuser locked in the "focused" position for that train. Sure it might need a little adjustment but it worked pretty well.
As to your Flat statement, it really depends on your camera imho. A camera like an ASI1600mm-c doesn't really need flats, if your optics and camera sensor are clean. Other cameras can need flats.
Cheers mate, it's an ASI 1600MM Pro. Field looks fairly flat and filters were unwrapped and put straight in the wheel, so all that should be clean, can't say the same for the objective though, but I guess that is easily fixed. Also find pixinsight pixelmath helpful for getting rid of spots.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:56 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi HeavyT,
Post #6 in the following thread shows how I store & transport my assembled gear. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=174233
I figure if a similar dovetail clamp can hold it securely on my mount at all angles, then it will be safe clamped in a pelican case. Works perfectly for me.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:58 AM
HeavyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Hi HeavyT,
Post #6 in the following thread shows how I store & transport my assembled gear. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=174233
I figure if a similar dovetail clamp can hold it securely on my mount at all angles, then it will be safe clamped in a pelican case. Works perfectly for me.
Cheers! That's a neat solution. At the moment I am struggling to find a 120cm x 40cm case that isn't so large as to be impractical. Given the flats question, I'm wondering if maybe I just case up the scope and remaining imaging train separately, as I already have a case for the scope?
Old 16-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I made a stand with a V boards each end. I lift the whole scope off and it slips into the V's and sits there not touching anything else. Then the whole lot goes in the spare room until I'm ready to put it back in the obs. I usually pull it out mid December to end of January at least.
Old 16-01-2020, 07:01 PM
HeavyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I made a stand with a V boards each end. I lift the whole scope off and it slips into the V's and sits there not touching anything else. Then the whole lot goes in the spare room until I'm ready to put it back in the obs. I usually pull it out mid December to end of January at least.
That sounds like what I had in mind for at home, have you a picture to share? Is it a continuous cradle or v stands at specific points?

Thanks mate
Old 31-01-2020, 11:44 AM
rocco57au (Rocky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Hi HeavyT,
I luv that set up Jason...
Which case did you use??
Old 31-01-2020, 12:22 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I store all mine vertically. Takes less space. As for cameras, filters and other bits I never leave them on unless I image multiple nights. I always open everything, purge it and store it in sealed pelican cases with dessicant recharges, put all filters in their boxes and all adapters in padded foam cases.