Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 24-06-2018, 10:42 AM
RobNevyn (Rob)

Recommendations for low power eyepiece for 10" f/4.7 Dob

I am waiting for my 10" f/4.7 Dob to arrive, and in preparation I am looking to get some eyepieces, it comes with the standard 10mm & 25mm stock Plossl's, I have an ES82 6.7mm, Tele Vue 2x Barlow and looking to get a low powered eyepiece 32mm to 40mm to have a bit or range.
Being relatively new I am still learning and often see caution in relation to fast scopes like mine.
What recommendations would you suggest for a reasonable quality low power EP, around the Explore Scienific kind of budget, will stretch to TeleVue if it would be a long term investment kind of deal.
Many thanks.
Old 24-06-2018, 11:58 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

My advice is not to get taken up with obtaining a very wide field with a 10" dob. You will not get brilliant performance at the edges no matter what. What you do need is a quality eyepiece that you will use a lot, so aim for a field of view around 1 degree or maybe a little more.
With a 1200mm FL an 18mm ES will give around 66x and a field of 1.25 degrees, For wider field head for the 24mm 68 degree eyepiece.
Better still, if you can afford it - go for a 17.3mm Delos - these are the best you can get and you will be amazed if you try one.
Old 24-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Wavytone

Edmunds 28mm RKE is still a good low power one for an f/4 dob like yours, despite their age. Still available new for $136 from Edmund.

Or a Plossl.
Old 25-06-2018, 06:44 PM
RobNevyn (Rob)

Thank you for the replies, I have seen the ES68 24mm mentioned a lot and looks to be fair value, I haven't heard much on the 18mm.
Edmunds 28mm RKE looks interesting, I haven't seen that mentioned at all, will do a bit of research on that as it looks like good value.
Old 25-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Wavytone

Rob, despite its age the RKE 28 is an unusual eyepiece as it has enormous eye relief but produces a view like tiny diamonds hanging in space at the tip of your nose. It's quite eery. This is something no other eyepiece delivers... not even the RKE 21mm.

It was originally designed to match an f/4 newtonian (the Astroscan) so works well in scopes like yours.

It also has just 3 elements with 4 air-glass surfaces so provided you can keep the eyelens clean (difficult as it bulges outwards) it should give fine contrast and transmission. Only thing to take care of is the eyelens as its coating is easily scratched.
Old 27-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I have a 10” f5 dob and agree the Delos 17.5mm eye piece is excellent. I also have a Panoptic 27mm which I believe is the best value, high quality wide field eye piece available in the Televue range for my dob.
Old 27-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
My advice is not to get taken up with obtaining a very wide field with a 10" dob. You will not get brilliant performance at the edges no matter what. What you do need is a quality eyepiece that you will use a lot, so aim for a field of view around 1 degree or maybe a little more.
With a 1200mm FL an 18mm ES will give around 66x and a field of 1.25 degrees, For wider field head for the 24mm 68 degree eyepiece.
Better still, if you can afford it - go for a 17.3mm Delos - these are the best you can get and you will be amazed if you try one.
This is excellent advice.
Old 27-06-2018, 05:53 PM
RobNevyn (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
This is excellent advice.
Agreed and appreciated, lots of nice options and I am still doing some reading on all EP's mentioned here. I will save my pennies for a couple weeks and will be getting one of them for sure. Maybe two

Thanks again guys.