Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 18-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Crescent Moon and star field in evening twilight

I watched a glorious twilight scene unfold from our campsite near Eden NSW this evening.

I was using a pair of Vixen 6.5X32 binoculars with a true 9 degree FOV.

The crescent Moon was stunning with bright peaks standing out towards the south and Mare Crisium dominating the Terminator towards the north. The Earth shine was very bright and I could make out the major Lunar features with it.

The Moon and Propus A and Tegat Prosterior in Gemini formed a close right angle triangle and above there was Nu Geminorum. To the east of Propus A several of the brighter stars of Collindar89 were just visible. To the west in the same FOV was 71 and 68 Orionis and several othe fainter stars.

All of this was in the same FOV with the very bottom framed by the silhouette of distant trees.

The faint twight hues capped off the view. As the sky darkened, though, the Moon's brightness slowly dominated, hiding many of the fainter stars from view.

Very satisfying. It was time for a camp fire dinner.

Last edited by Tinderboxsky; 18-05-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 19-05-2018, 02:09 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Sounds like one of those wonderful moments Steve.

I did see the Moon through heavy cloud and was struck by how thin the crescent was, yet how high the Moon was in the dark evening sky.