Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM
jtm92

Australia Telescopes - anyone had experience with them?

Hi all,

About a month ago I ordered a motorised mount upgrade for my dobsonian telescope from australiatelescopes.com.

However, it still hasn't shipped, and all of my attempts to contact their customer service have been ignored. As I'm sure you would understand, this is more than slightly worrying after forking out $900.

Has anyone had any experience buying from this company? More importantly, has anyone else been screwed over by them?

I would really appreciate input from others about this.

Thanks

Jarrod
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Never heard of them. How did you pay? Can you get the payment reversed?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM
jtm92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Never heard of them. How did you pay? Can you get the payment reversed?
I paid through Paypal, so I should be able to get it reversed if it does turn out to be dodgy. Really disappointing though.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Tandum (Robin)

They might just be on holiday and are too slack to put it on the web site. I got a few customers that are closed till the 7th. I wouldn't buy from them again though Also watch the time limit for lodging a paypal claim.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM
gb_astro

Does not sound like good service at all.
As said above they could be closed.
Even a major dealer like Andrews is closed until the 9th.

gb.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Varangian (John)

Jarrod I have dealt with them before. I have purchased filters and eyepieces and while they were slow to deliver they did arrive. A month seems like a long time though unless they needed to ship it in from the States (so did not have in stock). They really should be updating you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm92 View Post
Hi all,

About a month ago I ordered a motorised mount upgrade for my dobsonian telescope from australiatelescopes.com.

However, it still hasn't shipped, and all of my attempts to contact their customer service have been ignored. As I'm sure you would understand, this is more than slightly worrying after forking out $900.

Has anyone had any experience buying from this company? More importantly, has anyone else been screwed over by them?

I would really appreciate input from others about this.

Thanks

Jarrod
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Kunama

They are very slow to respond to emails, took 4 weeks to respond to my email when I was buying a new mount, ended up buying from myastroshop instead.
Of all their phone numbers only Brisbane seemed to be connected but a message I left for a callback was never replied to.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Paypal gives 40 days to lodge a complaint (which starts you down the refund avenue). Get onto it NOW!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
jtm92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
They are very slow to respond to emails, took 4 weeks to respond to my email when I was buying a new mount, ended up buying from myastroshop instead.
Of all their phone numbers only Brisbane seemed to be connected but a message I left for a callback was never replied to.
That seems to be on par with the pretty horrible customer service I've encountered. I'll keep harassing them and hopefully it will get me somewhere. I was initially going to buy the mount from BTOW, but they didn't have it in stock until March...in hindsight I should have just waited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Paypal gives 40 days to lodge a complaint (which starts you down the refund avenue). Get onto it NOW!
Thanks for the heads up Lewis, I'll definitely get started on that.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes paypal are very good , I accidently payed $2 to much for my Istar 127mm f/8 lense out of the States and they have twice now contacted me to allow them to refund that $2 , yes only $2 but they where right on to it .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
mikerr (Michael)

As Lewis said, you need to lodge the PayPal dispute NOW. It does not mean that you can't proceed with the transaction if you wish. PayPal will contact the vendor with your concerns and usually that will get a response.

Good Luck.

Michael.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

I too have just recently experienced the same thing. Ordered mid dec, it does say on the website that orders wouldn't be shipped after the 15th, but didn't say when they would start again. After multiple attempts to contact via email and phone with no reply I've given up.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

NEVER give up!

If they debited you credit card, or you paid Paypal etc, GET ONTO IT NOW!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

I lodged a paypal dispute earlier today and I got an automated credit email from aus scopes customer service instantly saying it is successfully refunded. No money in my account yet though.

Do I still need to follow through with escalating the PayPal dispute to get the money back?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM
torana68 (Roger)

I would ignore the automated email, why does a compay have an automated responce to a paypal claim????? if you go into your Paypal account you will find a section where disputes are updated, it will tell you where its at. Id say escalate it as soon as you can ( I think there is a certain number of days between opening and escallating?)
Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM
jtm92

I have since escalated the Paypal dispute to a claim. That was about 4 days ago, and the seller still hasn't responded at all.

I've never had to make a claim through Paypal at all; can anyone tell me what happens if the seller continues to ignore it?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

I bought a generator on Ebay once-the guy sold 20 of them and apparently didn't have them-none were delivered. I put in a claim on Paypal, and after them trying to resolve the problem with the seller, they eventually refunded my money. I don't know if Paypal got money back from the seller, but I got my money back.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Wookie (Ryan)

If the seller refuses to respond they will decide the dispute in your favour by default and refund your $$$.

Paypal are very good but you need to make sure you're in before the deadline otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on.

Good luck with it all.
Old 13-01-2013, 02:38 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

The following is all public domain and perfectly fair and legal to reproduce. I have contacts at Queensland Police an the Qld Office of Fair Trading and will be contacting them regarding a number of possible offenses under Australian Consumer Law 2011.

The website and business is owned by:

Domain Name australiatelescopes.com.au
Registrant GIANNOULAKIS, DIONISIA
Registrant ID ABN 81 837 848 243
Eligibility Type Sole Trader
Registrant Contact Email dionisia.giannoulakis@utoronto.ca

The Brisbane phone number belongs to:

Hanceys Turf
Address: Beerwah-Kilcoy Road Woodford 4514 QLD
Phone: 07 3102 9790 Other Phone: 1800 133 064 Mobile: 0439 306 616 Fax: (07) 5493 4352
email enquiries@hanceysturf.com.au

Now would be a good time for anyone who knows these people or who is associated with the owner to make good this complaint.
Old 19-01-2013, 09:16 AM
jtm92

Well, after being given 10 days to respond to the Paypal claim and ignoring it, I have been refunded my money by Paypal.

However, for anyone who is looking to buy something from Australia Telescopes in the future and comes across this forum, I have one piece of advice for you:

DON'T

It's really not worth the risk.