Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 07-09-2020, 01:35 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Any useable removable pier options?

Hi there,

Has anyone seen or had experience with a moveable pier? I would like to put one in my back yard / court yard, but i'm a bit conscious that i probably won't want it up there all the time (thus hopefully having a semi-permanent option).

Cheers

Russ
Old 07-09-2020, 03:36 PM
glend (Glen)

Russell what is your definition of semi-permanent? Are you willing to put in a footing, which allows a steel pier to be bolted to it? How often do you want to take it down? What sort of reconfiguration time do you want? Can you drill holes in an existing slab (courtyard)? Etc. I think we need more info about your ideas.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi Glen,

Some good points, yes, i am willing to put in a footing which would allow a steel pier to go in and out in a manner that i can mark to south relatively easily. I'd probably have it out for a week max at a time - but it wouldn't have to move very far when not in position.

I'm sure some have been done in the past, but not sure how successful they would have been. It would need to put an eq8 up top.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2020, 04:47 PM
bojan
amateur

Something like this?
It is semi-permanent (in place for 9 years and counting.. )
Old 08-09-2020, 01:14 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Something like this?
It is semi-permanent (in place for 9 years and counting.. )
hi bojan, thanks for sharing your setup. So you have a 'moveable' concrete base which has the pier permanently attached?

cheers
Old 08-09-2020, 01:32 PM
bojan
amateur

No - concrete base is permanent (~75cm deep, Ø35cm), pier is attached to it (by means of 8 x M10 dinabolts).

So, when I decide to move, I will simply cut off bolts and leave the concrete base where it is.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:02 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

One thought I have had is install a 'nice' looking pier in the backyard, with something decorative on it, a fancy sundial maybe?

When I want to use the scope, remove the decoration, place the scope.

Philip
Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

A metal plate with studs welded or tapped and the plate marked with alignment once set up.

You can carry out an aluminium pier and bolt it down in the correct orientation each time. Pretty much what you do with the top of a pier. Aluminium , thin large diameter would make it light and easy to move.

The metal plate can be bolted to concrete base with screw anchors which are easily removed and replaced. Or bolted to light weight screw pile or hammered pile type footings which are also removable.

The draw back is the cost. So just leave your tripod out there on three marked pavers to try it out.
Old 14-09-2020, 04:39 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
No - concrete base is permanent (~75cm deep, Ø35cm), pier is attached to it (by means of 8 x M10 dinabolts).

So, when I decide to move, I will simply cut off bolts and leave the concrete base where it is.
thanks for the clarification that makes sense and was similar to what i was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi

One thought I have had is install a 'nice' looking pier in the backyard, with something decorative on it, a fancy sundial maybe?

When I want to use the scope, remove the decoration, place the scope.

Philip
another good suggestion - thanks Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
A metal plate with studs welded or tapped and the plate marked with alignment once set up.

You can carry out an aluminium pier and bolt it down in the correct orientation each time. Pretty much what you do with the top of a pier. Aluminium , thin large diameter would make it light and easy to move.

The metal plate can be bolted to concrete base with screw anchors which are easily removed and replaced. Or bolted to light weight screw pile or hammered pile type footings which are also removable.

The draw back is the cost. So just leave your tripod out there on three marked pavers to try it out.
thanks for the suggestion sunfish