Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 03-11-2020, 11:14 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Few thoughts:
1. As already mentioned, PS uses the position information from your mount. If you are far from the target it will take a very long time to solve and the PS software may even time out.

2. It does not get mentioned often but EQMOD will refuse to sync if the current and the new position are out by more than, I think, 4 degrees (don't quote me on that number, I may not remember correctly). I also can't remember if the limit applies to RA, DEC or both.

3. What is the quality of your images? Enough stars for plate solving?

4. Did you set the correct focal length and the sensor info in APT?

When I have PS issues it is usually because of:
- a very bad polar alignment (setup in a new location)
- I was moving the scope by releasing clutches (to balance it for example) and then forgot to use setting circles to get it back to where I started.
When I have PS issues I use astrometry.net to get the real coordinates of the image and then sync them manually on the mount. After that local PS works fine.

Keep in mind my point 2 above. For example, if your target is 6 degrees out you may have to manually sync twice, first step being 3 degrees out and then second time at the target.
(again, the limit may not be 4 degrees???)
Old 11-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInSpace View Post
Hi Craig,
I use APT and just swapped over computers and had to get the platesolving set up again. Eventually, I got everything ok.
Here are my settings for Pointcraft:
ASTAP - downloaded and installed, pointing to the install location, for me: c:\Program Files\astap
ASTAP does not require any special config.
Use ASTAP for blind solve is NOT selected

PlateSolve2
downloaded and installed, pointing to the install location, for me: c:\platesolve\platesolve2.28
I installed APMM and UCAC3PSdirectly underneath platesolve2.28
Those directories had to be set in Platesolve2.exe
Use PS2 for near solving is NOT selected

ASPS - downloaded and installed, pointing to the install location, for me: c:\Program Files (x86)\Platesolver
You must run platesolver.exe to download the correct directories for your focal length

I hope that helps!!
cheers
Mark
Thank you very much Mark, I will work through this before my next session

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Few thoughts:
1. As already mentioned, PS uses the position information from your mount. If you are far from the target it will take a very long time to solve and the PS software may even time out.

2. It does not get mentioned often but EQMOD will refuse to sync if the current and the new position are out by more than, I think, 4 degrees (don't quote me on that number, I may not remember correctly). I also can't remember if the limit applies to RA, DEC or both.

3. What is the quality of your images? Enough stars for plate solving?

4. Did you set the correct focal length and the sensor info in APT?

When I have PS issues it is usually because of:
- a very bad polar alignment (setup in a new location)
- I was moving the scope by releasing clutches (to balance it for example) and then forgot to use setting circles to get it back to where I started.
When I have PS issues I use astrometry.net to get the real coordinates of the image and then sync them manually on the mount. After that local PS works fine.

Keep in mind my point 2 above. For example, if your target is 6 degrees out you may have to manually sync twice, first step being 3 degrees out and then second time at the target.
(again, the limit may not be 4 degrees???)
Thanks for these tips. Regarding your specific questions, my images are good enough quality for PS yes (judged by the fact astronomy.net has always PS'ed them) but it's on my computer I've had issues, but these tips plus the help others have provided will hopefully prevent that from being a problem in future Correct FL and sensor size is set in APT, yes. Good tip about potentially having to manually sync twice if you are very far out from where the mount thinks it is, too. Much appreciated!