Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Scopeyard (Sergey)

Hello Bob,

I have builded same device based on same board and connected it though voltage regulator to HEQ5. So basically same setup.

Now I have trouble connecting it to ASCOM.

Windows vista found 2 com ports on this bluetooth device- one inboudn and one outbound.

EQASCOM do not see mount on anyport. Using search also do not bring anything.

By looking on LED on device I see it recieves something as it sometimes flashes and than I try to connect to it , LED is ON . no blinking.

AS I understood from your posts, you had simmilar troubles, and maybe can help me out?

Would realy apreciate any info.

Regards,

Sergey.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM
hikerbob (Bob)

Sergey I've not done any Bluetooth work with Vista but on XP I used the outgoing port (and cursed the poor implementation of the bluetooth stack).

I don't remember enough of the detail to come up with more than to try setting the port number to that of the outgoing port (and check port settings in the Windows device manager and Eqmod).

If that does not work post some of the details of your settings and I or others might spot something (the value of a second eye).

Cheers
Bob

Last edited by hikerbob; 04-08-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

The same conditions occur on Windows 7 which depends on the Bluetooth unit plugged into the computer. It only appeared for me but only a short time and I don't remember how I solved it though but I do remember it was the first com port that turned out to be the one finally used.

Weird issue but never experienced a problem.

I think the 2 com ports can be bridged to make into a single com port but don't quote me on this. Best for someone else to confirm it.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Sergey I'm not using mine for EQMOD ( I use mine with Gemini ASCOM) but have seen some issues.

I usually see 2 COM ports on the BT. One incoming port (the lappy called location zero) and out going port (the transceiver called location one).

In my case COM 5 is the incoming port and COM6 the outgoing. This is all to do with virtual COM ports that your BT stack software assigns. I have seen this in WINXP and WIN7.

My BT Places shows only one device, the outgoing COM6. However, I have seen this sometimes show the incoming port on occasions, especially if I scan for new devices.

Sometimes you can connect to your BT outgoing port in your "BT places"... it should ask for a passkey, "1234" (no quotes).

As Bob said on page 1 check this.."I had some problems trying to get EQMOD recognised in the Ascom driver selector, the EQMOD.Telescope driver didn't have any attributes in the profile Explorer. Adding a name seemed to make it visible to the selector. I need to read some more about that as I may now have that right."

If you see the transceiver LED go from blinking to "on" for a few seconds then you are communicating with the transceiver ok but if it didn't stay "on" then it failed to pair.

Just some things to check:
ensure you have the Rx & Tx pins to the correct pins on the EQ6 DB9 connector.
Ensure you have a 5V TTL module not a 3.3V module.
Ensure the passkey is input.
Ensure you are trying to connect to the outgoing port.

See how this goes.

As a side issue..last night I couldn't connect to my Gemini BT. I deleted the devices in my BT places and re-scanned for new devices. Still didn't work....cut to the chase....after 15 mins...I turned on the Gemini computer...well that helped didn't it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (COM PORTS.JPG)
40.8 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (COM 5 LOCATION 0.JPG)
38.1 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (COM 6 LOC 1.JPG)
38.0 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (BT devices.JPG)
48.5 KB32 views
Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 PM
hikerbob (Bob)

Jurai sorry I haven't responded to you. I'm avoiding getting into making these for others, enough projects on the go and a lack of desire to risk dealing with warranty claims etc.

They are actually quite simple to make, some basic soldering and a little bit heatshrink and most of the physical componets are done.

I'm also thinking of making up a simple cable version using a Sparkfun USB to TTL serial adapter, a component they sell for the Arduino boards http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10008

A USB connection to the Laptop and three wires from the port on the telescope to the adapter and it should be away. If I get that done in the near future I'll post the details and outcome. That would be a cheap and simple alternative to make up.

Bob
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 PM
jurkov (Juraj)

I understand you HikerBob. I will try to make it.

What is output power of pin on DB9? Is it 12V? How many (mini)Ampers are there?

Last edited by jurkov; 05-08-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 AM
hikerbob (Bob)

Jurkov,
the DB-9 connections
1 12Vdc - I've soldered a diode into the feed to the regulator. Not essential.
5 - Gnd (Left most of the row of 5 looking at the mount or back of the
connector)
6 to the TX pin of the bluetooth module
9 to the RX pin of the bluetooth module

I've never measured the current flow, bluetooth modules are generally very low power. A more powerful one Sparkfun carries is listed at 25mA avg.

The TX and RX operate at a 5V signal level. In hindsight I'd not try and fit it all into a box with the DB-9 attached, no simple way to use the DB-9 screws and easy to knock the module off the mount, better to use a cable and put it elsewhere.

Bob
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

The unit is very low power, I have easily set it up using the mount power. I have a switching regulator which further reduces the power.

I haven't measured the actual amount of current. I am considering making these for non DIY'ers but I want to test the Bluetooth to DSLR function first.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
hikerbob (Bob)

Malcome "I want to test the Bluetooth to DSLR function first"
Nice, I've not had any success in getting from Bluetooth back to USB at the device end.

I'm currently having a Play with a Belkin Homebase unit http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=508689. It has a built in 4 port hub and can be run via ethernet cable or Wifi to a router.

- My Canon 550d works well via Backyard EOS and the EOS utility want's to start up.
- I've been able to connect a 7 port hub to it and connect devices connected to the Hub (the Hub does not show as a device)
- Bluetooth modules have not registered yet.
- I can connect to an Arduino (USB to serial) but attempts to fire up the Arduino software have so far caused a blue screen No hassles when the USB is plugged into the PC directly.
- A generic webcam does not seem to register. I've not yet tried a Philips webcam or others with more specific drivers.
- A generic Gamepad seems to connect fine.

Adding a new device (or turning off the Canon and then back on) seems to disconnect other devices.

If I can get everything I need working that way it might also meet a lot of what I'm trying to achieve. Bandwidth across Wifi should be far better than USB.

So far I'd say it's flakier than I'm happy with but has some promise.

Bob
Old 05-08-2011, 03:38 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Bandwidth is no much an issue as the maximum acheivable speed is going to be USB only so doesn't matter.

I have a module that I will experiment that i am hoping will allow slave USB. If it works will act as a straight USB cable and hopefully allow bother Canon images and control through a single connection.

The only issue will be trying to run radio units at the same time, but I am hoping Bluetooth data packet can resolve this.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 PM
jurkov (Juraj)

I am going to buy this modul ConnectBlue OBS410i and company need to know speed of serial link on DB9.
Old 16-10-2011, 02:40 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

I just uploaded a document on how to program name and PIN code changes into your bluetooth transceivers.

Its not difficult and users may like to do this, especially if they are using more than one BT device.

Also makes it look flash!
Old 26-03-2012, 05:04 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Just stumbled on this thread. Very informative
Bredan/Alistair, I am a complete noob when it comes to electronics, do either of your have a shopping list and pic by pic instructions?
I would like to have a go at doing one for my EQ6. My laptop runs Windows 7.
Thanks
Bo
Old 26-03-2012, 05:50 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Bo

HikerBob listed it all in the 1st post for an EQ6 (well all apart from a case).

I did make up a PCB design to fit in a Jaycar UB5 case (cheap case). Not that the EQ6 version needs much parts nor even a dedicated PCB.

Anyway I'm not at home ATM so I cannot access my files on this. I'll be home ...soon ...I hope....and PM you unless some else can help.

Brendan
Old 26-03-2012, 09:23 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks Brendan, I will source the parts first and run them past you to see if they are the ones.
Bo
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
traveller (Bo)

Hi Brendan and others, I managed to get the required parts for the BT EQmod. Before I start, I want to make sure I have everthing right and not stuff up .
This is Hikerbob's original instructions
connector)

As I am a complete noob when it comes to electronics, can you help me with the following:
1. Which direction should I solder the diode (red end to db9 connector or to the BT module?)
2. Where do I solder the 5v 100mA voltage regulator (it has three pins and has a semi circular head, one flat surface and one curved, I assume this is important for polarity?)
3. Which type of wire should I use to solder the bits together.

thanks guys, I would have PMed you, but cant upload photos.
Bo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0124[1].jpg)
211.9 KB53 views
Old 13-04-2012, 01:24 AM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

sweet work, lol going to have to get a etching tank on the go
Old 13-04-2012, 09:28 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Hi Brendan and others, I managed to get the required parts for the BT EQmod. Before I start, I want to make sure I have everthing right and not stuff up .
This is Hikerbob's original instructions
connector)

As I am a complete noob when it comes to electronics, can you help me with the following:
1. Which direction should I solder the diode (red end to db9 connector or to the BT module?)
2. Where do I solder the 5v 100mA voltage regulator (it has three pins and has a semi circular head, one flat surface and one curved, I assume this is important for polarity?)
3. Which type of wire should I use to solder the bits together.

thanks guys, I would have PMed you, but cant upload photos.
Bo

Ok try this.

remember you are looking (in my drawing) at the front of the DB9 (edit: that plugs into the EQ6 DB89 socket), just ensure you follow the pins.

There is more than one earth connection, just join them or use a small matrix board. and put this in a small jaycar UB5 box.

You only need general purpose small dia wire, no great current draw here.

hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EQ6 BT connections2.png)
5.5 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (78l05e.gif)
4.6 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (diode.jpg)
5.7 KB44 views

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 13-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 13-04-2012, 04:16 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks Brendan
Will have a go this wend.
Bo
Old 20-04-2012, 05:14 PM
hikerbob (Bob)

An EQ6 Bluetooth and Android

Sorry that I've not been active here for a while. Some junk happening that's been very distracting.

This is a sidestep to the Eqmod aspect of the controller.
Some of you may have seen another post I put up a while ago regarding Skywatcher going open source with their API's.

Part of that was the source for a sample Android app called Panorama. I've not explored it fully but the bit that's relevant here is that it contains code to control a Skywatcher scope via Bluetooth from an Android device. I'd not had success when I first tried it via my phone or via a FlyTouch 3 tablet but I've just run it on a Galaxy 10.1" tablet and it worked straight up.

I used an app called AIDE on the tablet to compile the source for Panorama into an app, plugged the Bluetooth module into the mount and paired it with the tablet, started up Panorama and had control of the scope straight up. The basic interface is direction buttons and it seems to have the ability to save pre-sets coordinates.

No skymap with it unfortunately but given the source code is all there it gives some options for further development. Panorama also has options to connect a camera but I've not worked out what's involved there.

The code is can be obtained from http://code.google.com/p/skywatcher/source/checkout using SVN .

AIDE is available on Google Play and is great if you want to play with some android development (although a pain for swapping between files compared to Eclipse on a PC).

My Android development skills are still very basic but I'm hoping there is options here for a great grab and go controller.

Bob