Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

Red face A Suitable Guidescope

Hi,

I am setting up an autoguider on a 8" SCT and Newt. I have some existing equipment that I would like to use. These are:

Orion Starshoot Autoguider
9x50 Spotting Scope
60mm f/10? Saxon Refractor

My thoughts are to use the 9x50 spotting scope as it is a compact size. Will I get sufficient magnification for guiding?

Would I be better using the 60mm f/10 refractor? This might be rather ungainly on a SCT.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
bokglob (Darrell)
ph0t0n3la5t3r

Rob,The spotting scope may work if you can fit and focus the autoguider successfully.The refractor at f/10 might be pushing it as to guidestar aquisition.Something faster gives greater options in this regard.Iuse a shorttube f/4,and its fantastic.Also search iis forums,heaps of good advice there
Old 19-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

I tried the 9x50mm spotting scope tonight with Starshoot Autoguider/PHD. Keep getting an error message - calibration failed - insufficient star movement in RA. I assume the 50mm just doesn't have the maginification to track guide stars. Guess I will stay with the ST80.
Old 20-05-2009, 09:40 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Increase you calibration steps, that should sort the problem out. If not then try and lenghthen you pulse guide from the anscom driver. I have mine set to 40.
Old 20-05-2009, 06:11 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I've guided with a 9x50 finder scope, worked really well... Using PHD guiding, I just had to increase the calibration step size... I cant remember the standard settings but I remember the number I used being well over 3x the default step size. I used this twice to guide my C11 @ F/6.3 and achieved good results.. Stopped using it in favor of an off axis guider.

Cheers.
Alex.
Old 20-05-2009, 07:33 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I'm pretty sure there's been a thread here before about using a QHY5 on a 50mm finderscope. Certainly possible with the sensitivity of the camera. People that have done it seem to invest in a good quality fixed mounting for it.

http://www.kwtelescope.com/KWT_KWIQ.htm
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...9/Main/2696044
Old 22-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

I increased the calibration step to 0.8 seconds and the guiding worked perfectly. Sometimes, it can be difficult finding a guide star, only the brighter stars seem to show up, even when I set the exposure to 5 seconds. I am thinking this is probably due to the light polluted skies I live in, more than anything else.

I have my guidescope mounted on top of the C8 with a ScopeStuff Mounting Plate and 3 Point Rings. It is very solid.

Last edited by Astrobserver99; 22-05-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 22-05-2009, 01:50 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Most 9x50 finder scopes front aperture is threaded for a 2" filter (all mine have been in any case...) You could possibly screw in a light pollution filter to help out in that respect.. ?? You would also want to make a dewshield for the finder/guider too, as they will not only collect dew quickly, but with the objective showing, any nearby light will cause a loss in contrast and make acquiring guidestars difficult...

Cheers.
Alex.
Old 23-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

Test Shots

Here are the test shots of Eta Carinae and Pavo, taken last night.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=45333