Old 01-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Tamron 500mm f8 Mirror Lens

Last night I stuck this mirror lens on the modified Canon 550d with a Lumicon Deep Sky filter. I attached it to the ball head on my Nano Tracker which was mounted on a Manfrotto Tripod and gave it 25 x 30 second subs @ 3200 iso. I got the polar alignment pretty close and was happy with what this 35 year old lens produced. Who said Mirror lenses weren't suitable for Deep Sky astrophotography?

Processed in DSS, STs and PS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Carina500mmMirror.jpg)
231.1 KB202 views
Old 02-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

That's a damn fine image from that lens, not to be written off lightly for sure. being a mirror lens there is no problem with C.A. This could cause a stampede of buyers for these old lens now, I'd better get in quick.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:20 PM
bojan
amateur

Tamron 500 f8 is one of the best among catadioptric lenses.
Bob Atkins has comparison with some other lenses here and here (middle of the page).
Old 02-04-2020, 04:57 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
That's a damn fine image from that lens, not to be written off lightly for sure. being a mirror lens there is no problem with C.A. This could cause a stampede of buyers for these old lens now, I'd better get in quick.
Thanks Jeff, there are a few around but like looking for any second hand lens, finding a good one is the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Tamron 500 f8 is one of the best among catadioptric lenses.
Bob Atkins has comparison with some other lenses here and here (middle of the page).
Thanks for the links to those reviews Bojan, very interesting and surprising that the Tamron holds up so well against the Canon 500mm L series lens. Now you'd never get one of those for under $200! So I guess this Tamron mirror lens is something I should hold on to. I think I'll keep my eye open for another one if it's going for a good price, might be able to resell it and make a profit!
Old 02-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Nice work Michael

That lens shows some real potential, being so small, it would be a great little grab and go lens.

Im surprised but how sharp it is all the way out to the corners.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

That's a very pleasing result Mick. Your post is timely for me as I've developed an interest in vintage camera lenses. There's an absolute stack of them available on Ebay etc. at very reasonable cost,
certain examples such as the SMC Pentax 135mm F 2.5 & earlier Takumar 300mm F4 lenses have good reviews & enjoy cult status.
It's a toss up for me between them & the newer Samyang/Rokinon 135mm F2 .... I think I have the widefield bug .
Great image with the vintage Tamron though .
Cheers,
Tony
Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM
bojan
amateur

There are also some very good Russian cat lenses out there, very sharp from corner to corner.
I have MTO-1000A, Rubinar 10/1000 Macro and Rubinar 500 f8.
All performed much better after "glass relaxation procedure", see here .
Old 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
That's a very pleasing result Mick. Your post is timely for me as I've developed an interest in vintage camera lenses. There's an absolute stack of them available on Ebay etc. at very reasonable cost,
certain examples such as the SMC Pentax 135mm F 2.5 & earlier Takumar 300mm F4 lenses have good reviews & enjoy cult status.
It's a toss up for me between them & the newer Samyang/Rokinon 135mm F2 .... I think I have the widefield bug .
Great image with the vintage Tamron though .
Cheers,
Tony
Glad you liked the shot with the old lens. The Tamron 500mm mirror lens is basically a mini SCT and because of its weight, I can put it on the Nano Tracker and easily maintain a < 2 kg payload, impossible with a refractor of that focal length. I have one of those Takumar 300mm f4 lenses with a M42 screw mount. I've tried it on my Canon 550d and with an adapter it wouldn't focus to infinity. Be aware of that with some of these older prime lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
There are also some very good Russian cat lenses out there, very sharp from corner to corner.
I have MTO-1000A, Rubinar 10/1000 Macro and Rubinar 500 f8.
All performed much better after "glass relaxation procedure", see here .
Boy Bojan, you've been playing around with these type lenses for a while now. I had heard of that mirror relaxing procedure. I don't think my Tamron will be undertaking the operation as I may make an otherwise reasonable performer into a museum piece!

Those Russian reflex lenses have a good reputation of producing good images from what I've read about them. Thanks for your interest in my post.