Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Radio Astronomy and Spectroscopy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Rob_K

Rainy day, revisiting C/2011 L4

Been looking at some of Christian Buil's amazing hi-res comet spectroscopy, particularly spectra of comae etc.
http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/spe8/comet.htm
And I wondered what might be further gained by going over some of my low-res SA100 stuff.

A spectrum of C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) taken 1 March last year looked the most promising because it was a very bright comet and the tail registered fairly well. The tail wasn't positioned perfectly but I took three slices: one through the comet 'head', one a short distance along the tail and the third a short distance further along the tail. The first limitation of course is that there is no slit to get a neat slice and you're effectively dealing with an extended object. But perhaps not too extended at this scale.

The last slice was pretty useless (pinkish-purple graph in the attached). Very poor signal-to-noise ratio and about all you can say is that there is a rough hump probably representing mostly continuum (sunlight reflection). The first slice (dark blue graph) shows the hump of the continuum (exaggerated to fit the other two spectra underneath!), as well as two 'horns' representing diatomic carbon emissions. There is also a very strong sodium emission spike. The second slice (aqua graph) is the interesting one I think. The signal-to-noise ratio isn't that bad and it shows the continuum and the strong sodium emission, but no sign of diatomic carbon emissions.

How much you can read into spectra like these is very much open to debate but I'd like to think that these characterise the comet at this stage of its orbit as follows:
(i) Coma and bright central condensation are dusty with minor Swan band gas emissions and a strong sodium emission;
(ii) Tail is dusty with no strong Swan band emissions; strong sodium emissions continue along tail.

Comments welcome - I can see how framing the comet better next time (if I get a similarly bright comet again!) to get the tail at right-angles to the spear of the spectrum would help.

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C2011 L4 spectrum, 01 Mar 2013, 10-08 UT head+tail-sections graph textredsm.jpg)
179.0 KB14 views
Old 05-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Interesting result. I have only tried to take spectra of the coma.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
Interesting result. I have only tried to take spectra of the coma.
Thanks Terry. A lot of possibilities open up with a slit and better gear. In panel A of the attachment, aligning the slit along the comet tail and (presumably?) guiding on the bright comet 'head' would give spectra along the tail. Panel B however would give by far the most interesting results but I've got no idea how feasible this would be. There's no comet head to guide on and I suppose there would be issues with exposure time v. comet speed in guiding off a suitably placed star. Or can the mount be set to track the comet? Beyond my experience and expertise anyway!

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (L4 ch spectra, slit positions.jpg)
159.0 KB14 views
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 AM
robin_astro

Like Paolo Beradi did last year for example on L4 Panstarrs
http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/vi....php?f=6&t=567

You can still guide on the coma, offset from the slit on the tail, either using a reflective slit if the field is wide enough or alternatively using an off axis guider or separate guide scope.

Using a slit can sometimes have its downsides though as seen here when trying to distinguish between atmospheric Na emission and that from the comet.

Robin