Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 AM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Unhappy Thud, groan, roar

I can't help wondering about the misspelling on the feed page ("Sturat Gary" & "Soloar System" etc) - probably just a mistake. Very odd mistakes & took ages to fix though. Who knows.

What is clear is the extreme hatred out there (and in parts of the ABC it seems) of anything that smacks of thinking, science, looking beyond the dirt and $....

What's happened with StarStuff is symptomatic.

It's a line in the sand for anyone who wants more than just "thud, groan, ROAR. Thud... Groan... Thud..." wall to wall all weekend

People please get your friends to sign the petition.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanaScope View Post
I can't help wondering about the misspelling on the feed page ("Sturat Gary" & "Soloar System" etc) - probably just a mistake. Very odd mistakes & took ages to fix though. Who knows.
They were in a mad rush to get the new star stuff web site up and running. A few typos were inevitible. They told us that in the abc science forum.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/s...ic3711373.shtm
Old 02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Post The information (or lack of it) we have to go on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipedalhumanoid View Post
They were in a mad rush to get the new star stuff web site up and running. A few typos were inevitible. They told us that in the abc science forum.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/k2/s...ic3711373.shtm

Strange, there was no reference at all in that thread to the typos or any of the process in getting the new star stuff web site up and running.

Reading through that thread the only message from the ABC bod was "Put your petitions away, forumites! StarStuff is SAVED!"

As usual with the state of ABC transparency there was no more news than that.

Are you thinking of another thread possibly James? There have been so many about this matter. Any information about what is going on would be good.

The latest things I've heard and seen is a regular News Radio news presenter verbally refer to StarStuff's new home and its URL yesterday morning - A PLUS.

However NewsRadio still hasn't edited the old StarStuff page (at http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/programs/STARSTUFF.htm) to give the link to the new home. The new incarnation of StarStuff is still not mentioned, just the message "After eight years on the radio StarStaff has taken its last journey across the Universe."

A clear Change Of Address sign would be basic to a successful move of any type I would say?

The new program is obviously in a new development stage. Everyone is waiting for the second edition, after the excellent, but short program of the 24th.

A clear idea of the length and schedule of the new program is eagerly awaited by many I'm sure.

Last edited by HumanaScope; 02-08-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Was referring to this...
Quote:
Your friendly ABC Science folk (whose numbers now include Mr Stuart Gary) have been busy behind the scenes.

New StarStuff homepage:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/starstuff/

New StarStuff Podcast feed:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/podcast/starstuff.xml
They said they have been busy working behind the scenes creating a new starstuff homepage and a new stastuff podcast.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Post 2nd Petition

I take it signatures are still wanted for the "Get StarStuff back on the Air" petition?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

New star stuff episode released...
http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/science/...ff20080806.mp3
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
berg meister

Maybe Australian amateur astrnomers could co-operative an internet radio server and start producing our own stuff on radio on-line?

Sad at yet more quality program lost.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipedalhumanoid View Post
I find this confusing. I listened to the whole episode (great episode as per always) and it certainly seems recent as the date of the mp3 filename would suggest and he says he'll be back next week! But on the ABC website there's no update and the new episode is not listed.

At the end Stuart thanks the ABC for the use of the equipment etc (can't remember exact wording). Is it that Stuart Garry is doing it off his own back?

If he is then I hope a way is provided for people who enjoy the podcasts to donate towards the cause.

Certainly great news to have another episode.

Roger.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
rogerg (Roger)

OK, i should've read down the last few posts more, I see there's a new website... still somewhat confused, but looks good
Old 13-08-2008, 12:20 PM
HumanaScope (Daniel)
Watcher

Post Some proper support for StarStuff

One of the most important things to keep one's friends and so on when one changes address is proper COA notification.

To this end I'm glad to see that NewsRadio has finally put an automatic COA to the new ABC Radio Science Starstuff page when one clicks on the old address (http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/programs/STARSTUFF.htm).

I truly hope that the ABC will continue to support this Cosmic program as it deserves.

I still would like it back on the air, but look forward to the next podcast.

It's a lot better than nothing.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:41 AM
stuart gary (Stuart Gary)

StarStuff back well kind of

Hey everyone,
All your support has been great and you'll be pleased to know that ABC Science has come to the rescue and provided a new platform for StarStuff.
the new URL is http://www.abc.net.au/science/starstuff

There's still no broadcast version for people who dont have or cant afford a computer, but there is a petition there which I hope you will consider signing.
cheers
Stuart Gary
Old 22-08-2008, 10:46 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart gary View Post
Hey everyone,
All your support has been great and you'll be pleased to know that ABC Science has come to the rescue and provided a new platform for StarStuff.
the new URL is http://www.abc.net.au/science/starstuff

There's still no broadcast version for people who dont have or cant afford a computer, but there is a petition there which I hope you will consider signing.
cheers
Stuart Gary
Cheers Stuart.

We've also got a thread here on IIS asking people to sign the petition.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ight=starstuff

Let's keep it going.
Old 25-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Dark Star

Cool StarStuff support

I saw an earlier post in which some hansard questions were put to the ABC about StarStuff in senate estimates by Senator Michael Ronaldson a few years ago.
The response provided by the ABC at that time, failed to honestly answer the questions put by the Senator.
The answers given by the ABC to the communications minister about StarStuff has again failed to provide the whole truth, as demonstrated by some of the points provided thanks to Les and his sources which were posted previously in this forum.
Well Senate Estimates is on again in October and the ABC will be there cap in hand telling our elected officials what a great job it's doing serving the needs of all Australians (except for those who love astronomy, but don’t have access to a computer.)
May I respectfully suggest that if a forum moderator has the time, all the material posted about StarStuff in the IceInSpace forum be forwarded to the good Senator in the hope that he may decide to force the ABC to provide the whole truth rather than just the bits that don’t make it look bad.
I just happen to have his e-mail address handy.
senator.ronaldson@aph.gov.au
The bottom line is complaining to the ABC, all the letters, the e-mails and the calls didn’t bring StarStuff back. NewsRadio manager Helen Thomas, Head of National Networks Margaret Cassidy and head of Radio Sue Howard simply stonewalled. If they wont bring the program back to NewsRadio or alternatively somewhere like Radio National as previously suggested, then they need to be made publicly accountable for their actions and personally appear before Senate Estimates to answer a few questions about how they’re spending my hard earned money.
DarkStar
Old 29-08-2008, 10:55 PM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

I'm still not prepared to let this issue die!

Is there anyone left who hasn't yet signed the petition to get star stuff back on the air?

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitio...f-program.html

Lets get this awesome show back on the air!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Dark Star

Exclamation latest news on StarStuff

There’s some interesting news from a secret source with in the ABC on the StarStuff Front.
ABC NewsRadio Manager Helen Thomas has refused to allow the shows creator Stuart Gary the use of available, spare or unused NewsRadio studio facilities at any time for any work towards the show, forcing him to go to another part of the building rather than use empty studio facilities less than two metres from his work station.
That's interesting because "lack of resources" was one of the reasons given by the ABC for axing the show on NewsRadio. But based on this incident it would seem resources arnt really the issue at all!
Thomas has also told other NewsRadio staff members that they are not to run any material from StarStuff on NewsRadio regardless of its news worthiness.
This is the same Helen Thomas who last year decided that a key note address by the then prime minister on Australia’s future nuclear policy wasn’t newsworthy enough to break into prerecorded overseas programming.
Mr. Gary wouldn’t want me telling you any of this, but I think you have the right to know how your taxpayer dollars are being spent.
What do you think?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Darkstar,

Wow, that sucks. That's my taxpayer dollars thanks Helen -- its only your money to spend on my behalf.

Not at all happy.

Grrrr ...

Best,

Les D
Old 22-04-2009, 06:05 PM
caleb

Nooo, I only got into it a month ago and had to download the podcasts. Do you have Dr Karls email address to?

I guess ABC aren't interested in him anymore either.

And this is a governemt station, WTF. Why can't they give people a variety.

Just last night I was hoping for a show on ABC called 'Star Stuff'.

Good on ya CH10 for those awesome TenHD Docos... Wow, now it's a devoted to NFL and called ONE... As well as channel Ten having no High Definition channel. I have a plasma for high definition television. SD aint cut it anymore.

Lets face it, all the sport coming from the US seems to be terrible quality anyway.

And congrats to Seven/Prime for using their HD channels, although putting a crappy movie from the 50's is great in HD... Gotta love the grainy B&W...

Anyway