ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 28-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Phil
Phil H

Yes very intesterting and a lovely shot by you Houghy. It is very low.
Phil
Old 28-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Outbackmanyep

This is the comet from my images last night, with my own eyes i could see a "false" nucleus, like a bright star in the center, with the bell shaped central condensation and outer coma, but looking at my images i notice a dark ring inside the outer coma and some images look like it has a split nucleus! The full resolution off the camera image shows the split better, or it could be an artifact!

Taken prime focus through my Celestron 8" SCT @ f/10
This image has not been processed at all......90 sec @ ISO 200

Take a look!

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1135a.JPG)
103.5 KB64 views
Old 28-10-2007, 12:22 PM
tornado33

Hi
heres a view from early this morning, from my front yard at Wallsend. Can clearly see it between tree trunk and powerpole
6x2 sec 50mm f1.8 untracked but stacked and aligned on comet with IRIS

For high res 10 inch telescope image go here
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=25306

What an incredible object. What an incredible year. Starts with Mcnaught bursting to daylight visibility, and even co inciding with the IIS Lostock astrocamp putting on a super display. Quiet times from then till now an obscure small comet super outbursts to over a millionfold in brightness. Wow its all happening.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Holmes 17P6x2seciso200f1.850mmcol.jpg)
137.3 KB98 views
Old 28-10-2007, 01:33 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

... What rock have I been under for the last few days ?
Here I am in prime position in the NT and had not been taking much notice.
I will be out there tonight for a first look !
Just before the full moon rises on Tuesday the 30th at 10:30pm, will be the first dark sky opportunity.
Lets hope it holds it brightness !
Old 28-10-2007, 03:27 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmanyep View Post
The full resolution off the camera image shows the split better, or it could be an artifact!
It's not an artifact. I was playing with images today, finally got a stack of 53 happening, and the nucleus is a definate arrow head, pointing down.
I'll post my new improved image in Solar System thread.
Old 28-10-2007, 04:10 PM
saberscorpx
Stephen Saber

28OCT07 0300UT 40N90W

Thru 20x80s Holmes looks more like a supernova than a comet. Currently about 4 deg ENE of Mirphak, the circular and cream-colored 2.5 mag oddity easily punches through our gibbous moon's interference. 8x40s nicely frame 17P and Mel 20 in the same field.
The outer halo and naked eye fuzziness, however, would be greatly enhanced in a moonless sky.

A well deserved medal for our Hero.

SJS

Last edited by saberscorpx; 29-10-2007 at 05:11 AM.
Old 28-10-2007, 05:42 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

awesome shots and obs everybody! what as sight!

dont take this to heart, its just an opinion piece, and as they say we all have them (opinions)
strangely? i could be imagining this!, but i feel an unspoken pressure to provide photographic evidence of my obs? its seems de rigeur? but after having taken a personal oath/resolution and undertaking in swearing off and personally participating in the time consuming digital astrophotography game, or least a long sabbatical till the next solar max (I havent recharged my 350d batteries since P1! in feb) as i currently find it, from a purely *personal* involvement level to be a fun spoiler these days. Plus I have much more important bigger GAS issues right now tho LOL.
And I am undergoing a return to my 'roots' AA wise, and just do it for the eyeballin existentialist and satori-like 'crac' and removing myself from the technology and GAS treadmill drudgery that I now find astrophotography to be, as the new 'be all and end all' of AA.
I find it sad the 'romance' of the writtem obs to be a dying art form, an art form that was developed over many centuries! the likes of which J . Bortle and D. Seargent so eloquently do, as I equally enjoy reading a quality descriptive obs as seeing a great image of something momentous. and my personal written records come first and foremost to me, and images can be rather impersonal and cold IMO sometimes.
Dont get me wrong, I would be deeply dissappointed and distressed if there wasnt the current crop of the plethora of awesome imagers to admire/inspire wonder and reveal previously unseen things and expanding our universal collective knowledge, not to mention cherrypick from their pics for my obs folder, as visual reminders of my obs!
also not to mention
when I/we started this hobby astrophotograhers were quite rare, and that was part of the attraction and motivation i think.
so there got that off my chest, but due to this new modern digital era horrible and suffocating expectation that one must have top shelf photographic evidence of everything they see and do, I felt I had explain myself!
this thread may not be the place to open up this way, in a fast food and time poor world, its tooo many words!
Old 28-10-2007, 10:27 PM
tornado33

Going to get up at 1:40 am (daylight saving time) tommorow despite having work tomorrow morning to see what surprises this comet has in store, will set up the 10 inch again.
Some sleepless mornings await me while Holmes keep putting on this spectacle
Scott
Old 28-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringe_dweller View Post
awesome shots and obs everybody! what as sight!

dont take this to heart, its just an opinion piece, and as they say we all have them (opinions)
strangely? i could be imagining this!, but i feel an unspoken pressure to provide photographic evidence of my obs? its seems de rigeur? but after having taken a personal oath/resolution and undertaking in swearing off and personally participating in the time consuming digital astrophotography game, or least a long sabbatical till the next solar max (I havent recharged my 350d batteries since P1! in feb) as i currently find it, from a purely *personal* involvement level to be a fun spoiler these days. Plus I have much more important bigger GAS issues right now tho LOL.
And I am undergoing a return to my 'roots' AA wise, and just do it for the eyeballin existentialist and satori-like 'crac' and removing myself from the technology and GAS treadmill drudgery that I now find astrophotography to be, as the new 'be all and end all' of AA.
I find it sad the 'romance' of the writtem obs to be a dying art form, an art form that was developed over many centuries! the likes of which J . Bortle and D. Seargent so eloquently do, as I equally enjoy reading a quality descriptive obs as seeing a great image of something momentous. and my personal written records come first and foremost to me, and images can be rather impersonal and cold IMO sometimes.
Dont get me wrong, I would be deeply dissappointed and distressed if there wasnt the current crop of the plethora of awesome imagers to admire/inspire wonder and reveal previously unseen things and expanding our universal collective knowledge, not to mention cherrypick from their pics for my obs folder, as visual reminders of my obs!
also not to mention
when I/we started this hobby astrophotograhers were quite rare, and that was part of the attraction and motivation i think.
so there got that off my chest, but due to this new modern digital era horrible and suffocating expectation that one must have top shelf photographic evidence of everything they see and do, I felt I had explain myself!
this thread may not be the place to open up this way, in a fast food and time poor world, its tooo many words!
Sorry Kearn, didn't get past the first sentence - it's tooo many words!

But I think the apparent lack of good observational reporting doesn't mean it's not going on. Probably an illusion created by the nature of these forums, bit like show-&-tell, a picture's worth a thousand words, etc, lol. There's a couple of guys (DougAdams & §AB) who are keeping it alive in the "obs report" sub-section, and they probably could do with a bit of a hand.

Love the pictures because they usually show more detail than you can visually observe, but love the reports too because they convey a real sense of your experience at the eyepiece, in a way that images never can. They can also convey a sense of excitement, discovery & achievement (and disappointment on occasions ).

Anyway, love the Holmes pics folks - thanks to all from one who will probably not get to see it (damn latitude!).

Cheers -
Old 29-10-2007, 12:26 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Slow moving High Cloud has stopped any observing tonight here in Gove.
Aw .... well maybe tomorrow night
Update: I went and tried again with the 16 x 60 Bino's, it was a snap
This is one bright comet, I could even see it through the veil of high cloud !

Last edited by gaa_ian; 29-10-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 29-10-2007, 12:40 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Stillso notonight
Old 29-10-2007, 04:25 AM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Hi Rob,
sorry, I was specifically referring to the fate of formalised/standardised and informal comet obs/descriptions, probably an even more endangered beastie than some other forms?, altho closely related in terminology and origins I guess - but i salute them nonetheless! I have Hartungs book, great example of the 'old school' descriptive methods

anyway its all good mate I still really enjoy looking at great astro pics, but just not as big a fan of taking them and processing them myself thesedays LOL altho i did used to love doing it, and will again someday most probably
Old 29-10-2007, 04:30 AM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

nice spot to be viewing 17P from Ian! lucky so and so! cheers for report!

its starting to clear up here after a few days of welcome and overdue rains and showers/ clouds just too heavy on my horizon, despite holes everywhere
Old 29-10-2007, 06:44 AM
tornado33

was raining here in Newcastle
Oh well will try again tomorrow morning
Scott
Old 29-10-2007, 07:06 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Scott where do you observe it from? What's the best time to see it? I'm thinking of making a trip North for it.
Old 29-10-2007, 07:45 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Scott where do you observe it from? What's the best time to see it? I'm thinking of making a trip North for it.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...6&d=1193534200 from his front yard Mike! probably could do it from our swamp LOL, you need to get some elevation to clear most of suburbia, is there anywhere with a nice hill looking north near you?
Old 29-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

I always thought it was too low for us down here but after looking at this thread its seems defiantly worth the effort of getting up early..been too cloudy last night, I shall give it a go tonight? I have a great northerly view!

Like what Mike mentions what time in the morning would be best to view it?
cheers Gary
Old 29-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Outbackmanyep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
The best time i can see it is from about 1am to 4am now with daylight saving attached......

Hope the hunt goes well....
Check BOM satellite images, it looks like the rain band has subsided but todays image isnt up yet.
Old 29-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Outbackmanyep

Interesting image on this link :
http://www.birtwhistle.org/Gallery17P.htm
Old 29-10-2007, 12:32 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

wahh! too far south