Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 26-06-2019, 12:21 PM
TWF (Tom)

Imaging All Night with Voyager

I have been imaging with Voyager for some time, gradually extending my use from sequences and flats to scripts for darks & bias frames and scripts to control the observatory.

I have been working on a script that powers my equipment up and down, connects and disconnects the equipment, takes dawn and dusk flats and images all night. Most importantly, it manages equipment safety as its highest priority.

I have recently had a run of long clear nights (11hr 11min nights at my observing location). The night before last, the script captured 11 x 20min Oiii subs before the moon rose, then 15 x 20min Ha subs until dawn.
My equipment re-focused and re-centred each hour and each 1C temperature change. Equipment safety was always monitored and no short cuts were taken.

8hr 40min of light frames from a maximum possible 11hr 11min of darkness represents an incredible 77% efficiency turning dark hours into light frames.

Over the last 3 nights, I have captured more than 24 hours of light frames and corresponding flats without having to intervene once. I ran my script each day before 5pm, and it completed before 8am next morning, with the equipment safe and powered down. No need to touch anything.

I find Voyager intuitive, robust and flexible. I don't know how I would have achieved this sort of productivity and equipment protection without it. Well worth a look at https://www.voyagerastro.com/.

Tom