Not enough time and money

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/austr...on-test-159232
Still true after 10 years...
Old 23-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
The custom white balance I did today reduced the red too much - seems like the gain in HA sensitivity is lost. I'll try with the proper card still when it arrives.
Same ISO 400 and 2 minutes exposure, again under moonlight -
Tony, so long as you’re shooting raw, then the white balance used by the camera is irrelevant, it’s just a profile used for display purposes and doesn’t affect the raw data.

Getting a natural colour balance from modded cameras can be tricky with rudimentary tools, but made easier by things like Photometric Colour Calibration in PixInsight - but that is by no means the only colour calibration tool. If you don’t use PI, looking for something that will calibrate based on G2V star types.

The Ha sensitivity isn’t really lost - if you stretched an image of the same object to the same intensity levels, the image from the modded camera would have significantly less noise in the red than the unmodded one. After all, you’ve collected more signal by removing the filter and it will be noticeable.
Old 23-05-2019, 12:52 PM
casstony

Thanks Dunk, so I don't need to bother with white balance.

I bit the bullet this morning and subscribed to PI. I liked the background extraction in the trial, now I have homework to do learning more of PI.
Old 23-05-2019, 03:04 PM
RyanJones

I agree with Dunk to a point. The RAW data is exactly that, it’s raw and you can set your own colour balance in post processing. What I have found however is that in stacking, at least DSS seems to try to tone the red down and for me it becomes quite pink. You can stretch it as much as you like but the red seems to lose its proper red tone that you see in the subs. I feel, and I don’t KNOW that by balancing the image pre stacking. DSS with give a better toned output.
Old 23-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

PI doesn’t do that
Old 23-05-2019, 09:52 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
PI doesn’t do that
I’ve had a taste and it doesn’t surprise me. It seems that it does everything better
Old 24-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Some folk don’t like the UI, but it’s consistent across platforms i.e. Windows, Mac, Linux, which I feel is a valid sacrifice. But really it’s like anything...hover the cursor over something and you get tips

It’s a powerful mathematical toolbox. Lots of functions. Don’t feel you have to use them all There are lots of “getting started” type tutorials out there on the Internet, Harry’s videos are a good place to start.

I have the utmost respect for other - especially free - tools, but I’ve found PI does a great job worthy of the entry price.

Disclaimer: these are just my opinions please regard them as such
Old 25-05-2019, 06:17 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Some folk don’t like the UI, but it’s consistent across platforms i.e. Windows, Mac, Linux, which I feel is a valid sacrifice. But really it’s like anything...hover the cursor over something and you get tips

It’s a powerful mathematical toolbox. Lots of functions. Don’t feel you have to use them all There are lots of “getting started” type tutorials out there on the Internet, Harry’s videos are a good place to start.

I have the utmost respect for other - especially free - tools, but I’ve found PI does a great job worthy of the entry price.

Disclaimer: these are just my opinions please regard them as such
I’ve heard that people aren’t great fans of the interface but I do like the way it actually shows you what it’s doing when you push a button.

Also I’ve heard people complain about the way you apply the changes after making them but I think that follows the ethos of showing you exactly what you are doing and once you’re used to it it’s actually not hard to use.
Old 26-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Ultimately it's just a tool and, just like any tool, it needs to be learned to be effective. Getting bent out of shape over a few icons is irrational IMO

Once you get the gist of the triangle, square and circles, it's just a question of cobbling a bunch of steps together to make a workflow...just like anything else
Old 26-05-2019, 09:05 AM
casstony

I'll be slowly transitioning over to PI, partly due to the learning process but it's also a bit slow on my I3 powered desktop.
Had a go a processing this image to learn with; it's only 50 minutes of Sh 308 with an O3 filter. I need a few hours to get the image brighter without bringing up the background. I like the pixel rejection algorithm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sh 308 OIII.TIF 10%.jpg)
152.3 KB31 views