Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-05-2018, 05:37 PM
assbutt94

M8 - Lagoon Nebula

This is my first post on these forums, so hello everyone.
This is about the 3rd deep sky photo I have taken and processed and been remotely happy with.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1749/...35fef9a9_h.jpgM8 - 13f,13m

Gear:
Celestron 8se OTA
Canon 5dmk3 unmodified
Meade 0.63x field flattener
EQ6-R mount, no guiding

1min exposures, ISO 6400
I took 97 light files, discarded all but 13 due to poor quality.
50 Darks
48 Flats
200 Bias

Stacked in DSS, edited in Photoshop

Im keen to know my biggest mistakes here and would love any input.
Im hoping to get a better polar alignment next time, as well as set up the error correction for my mount.

Last edited by assbutt94; 27-05-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Trying to get image to display correctly.
Old 27-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

In the centre the stars look really sharp so it looks like your polar alignment was pretty good. You’ve got nice detail and the flattener you’re using just doesn’t cover a full frame camera. All in all, I’d say it’s an excellent shot for your first image here
Old 27-05-2018, 06:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome and a great effort any flaws are equipment it appears but you got a crop tool☺ if it worries you.
Welcome.
Alex
Old 27-05-2018, 07:32 PM
assbutt94

Thanks guys.
Kind of winged the polar alignment, I used the sync-scan controllers polar alignment thing, got it very close, and buggered it up trying to get it closer.
I haven't had success with drift aligning yet.

Ill be getting a ZWO ASI120MC this week to try some planetary work. Im hoping I can use it to guide the mount to get the periodic error correction set up, then remove it to fit my DSLR and hopefully capture longer exposures when I try to go for M20 in a couple weeks time.
Old 27-05-2018, 08:12 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Note of warning about the ASI120MC, if you're getting the USB 2.0, theres a very good chance it wont work for guiding. Ive had issues with mine skipping frames and freezing up after a few minutes. They work fine for planetary but if you wish to guide as well, I'd suggest getting the USB3.0 version or another camera (i.e. 290MM/C)
Old 27-05-2018, 08:46 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Note of warning about the ASI120MC, if you're getting the USB 2.0, theres a very good chance it wont work for guiding. Ive had issues with mine skipping frames and freezing up after a few minutes. They work fine for planetary but if you wish to guide as well, I'd suggest getting the USB3.0 version or another camera (i.e. 290MM/C)
I second that. I have an ASI120MM USB3 that replaced the ASI120MC USB2 that is now gathering dust.

Kevin
Old 27-05-2018, 08:58 PM
assbutt94

Luckily I bought the USB3.0 version, thanks for the heads up.

I'm hoping I will be able to get great shots of Mars with it as it reaches opposition using a 2x barlow that came in my Celestron Eyepiece kit and leaving my field flattener off.

I also hope to try stack captures over a few nights of Mars. I assume that would be possible if I account for Mars' rotational period and start my capture periods when it's at the same rotation as each other night.