Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 26-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

What is your internet speed?

My internet speed is 23.6 mbps for downloading, 4.8 for uploading.

I have recently transferred to NBN on the basic package.

Is this a good, normal or bad speed? (I really have no clue).

To find your speed, go to: speedtest.net (as said on yesterday's Sunrise program).
Old 26-07-2017, 08:11 AM
speach (Simon)

My download averages 18.9 on NBN
Old 26-07-2017, 08:32 AM
rally

2.56 DL
0.72 UL
That second decimal point makes all the difference !!
No NBN coming
Old 26-07-2017, 08:50 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Crap speed here...seems the politicians decided Cannot berry would get the update last so as to not show any perceived preference.

Not getting even half the speed we got in regional QLD ADSL. Telstra claims best they can do...which considering our node services RAAF Fairbairn and all the DoD installations and contractors out here screams volumes. Ah well.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Wavytone

Internode ADSL at home pretty consistent at 23Mbps down.

What really stunned me though was my iPhone6+ on Telstra frequently achieved 95Mbps down on 4G. So fast I often used it as a hotspot in preference to anything else.

But it was not cheap. Since switching to a lower cost carrier on the Optus network it has been pathetic but tolerable, usually around 5Mbps down.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:19 AM
w0mbat (Ian)

Some of us on NBN Satellite who are with decent ISP's are doing quite well.
Most of the time I get around 24Mb/s down and 4.something Mb/s up.
We can stream good quality ABC Iview or SBS on demand at peak usage times with no buffering ever.
I am with IPStar. A neighbour with another ISP only gets around 1Mb/s down in peak times. The only variable is the ISP. Everything else is the same. I suspect that is the case with non-satellite NBN as well.
Ian
Old 26-07-2017, 09:37 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Up and down. I am on a congested NBN fixed wireless tower on a 50/20 plan (The upload is more useful to us than the down, though we currently only reliably get half of the /20!)

We see up to about 40/13 during the day and don to about 7/10 in peak Netflix hours. Apparently a tower upgrade on the way, but when you lodge a fault ticket on a known to be congested tower you still have to bend over and do pretty much everything but satisfy the naked vicar clause to prove that your equipment is not the problem.

Then they tell you that the tower is congested and that an upgrade is planned. Imagine all the time wasted by 200 odd households proving what NBN know already before they will tell you that they know it!
Old 26-07-2017, 09:41 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Depends on how fast I pedal... but it seems the nbn is a lower case loser for most of us. 20kms outside a capital city and you are damned to use "skynet" dribbling at half the speed of ADSL....

Negative Progress... Ya gotta love it!
Old 26-07-2017, 10:04 AM
doppler (Rick)

Just got this from my ISP (I haven't complained they have done this on their own initiative).
The only improvement for me is that I don't have to pay line rental to Telstra any more and I've got unlimited downloads for a lower price overall.

Important Notice about your NBN Speed

As a valued TPG customer, we want to make sure that you're getting the most out of your NBN plan which is why we've undertaken a review of your sync speed.

Your sync speed (line connecting to the NBN) = 6.68 Mbps

TPG is a reseller of NBN Co and therefore we have to operate within the constraints of the NBN network. In your case, there could be a couple of reasons why you may be disappointed with the speed you're getting:

1. NBN Co delivers your NBN connection using
Fibre To The Node which can be affected by the length and quality of copper cable going into your premises.

2. NBN Co is running an 18 month transition period after your local area has gone live with the NBN. During this transition period, your NBN connection may be running slower as it needs to co-exist with non-NBN services in your area. Your NBN connection may improve after the transition period.

Did you know that you always have the option to downgrade to a lower speed NBN plan? If you wish to do this, please contact our Change of Plan team at
1300 920 158 (8am-9pm weekdays or 9am-6pm weekend, Sydney time).

If you're satisfied with your current plan and wish to remain as is, no action is required.

Kind regards,
TPG

Old 26-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

I don't feel so bad now..

I'm on FTTN with Telecube. They are currently using either Vocus or Wideband for their backhaul. Preference is for Wideband, as they don't have Vocus' congestion issues. It can be asked for, if in an area that supports it (so I did).

My speed is currently 58.5/28.4. It dips a little during afternoon and evening peaks, but not noticeably.

Also, I have 1000GB to play with per month. Netflix for me is not counted in this amount. I might be lucky to use 10% of this.
Old 26-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Not NBN here, but inner Brisbane on cable I'm getting 100 down, ~2 up. No matter how many times I test, the 100 is flat and consistent, so looks like it's being throttled.
Old 26-07-2017, 10:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Even if you had fibre to your house in most cases (if your within a couple hundred metres of the node) it is not going to make any difference to the speed you receive. The issues, as always, is network design. Every network is designed to handle a certain throughput, not to max out every possible connection speed. The devil is in the muxing design, how many user circuits are competing for high speed packet space. The exchanges are designed for a certain 'arrival rate', and the equipment has a service capacity that is based on a model. Standard queuing theory stuff but at a high speed. Some people may get bufferred temporarily until packet space is available, sometimes there are timeouts and discards requiring retransmit. All if this affects the speed you see. Speedtest does not map the intermeadiate routing, you get no information about how many hops your test has made. Each hop is a potential delay factor. The use of mostly capital city test servers is likely to disadvantage regional or country testers, but in the real world being outside a major city can have session advantages due to city traffic congestion. When my daughter wants to fight for popular concert tickets on Ticketek, she gets me to login and establish a session from my place. I have no problems getting a session, even on the day Adele tickets went on sale. Her problem is she is queuing for space in city exchange hops whereas i have almost direct routing (two hops as far as i can tell) and there are less competing for space. So there are many factors affecting your performance.
Old 26-07-2017, 10:52 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I really don't give 2 tosses about internet speed though - much more to do than stream videos and the like. Read a book. Make a model. Talk to my wife and kids. Go outside and look up.

Just saying. I am sure there are other priorities, but I personally don't care about it. I have what I have - it is still enough on average to watch an HD movie, but if it doesn't, I can watch in lower quality if I am so inclined.

These first world problems we face huh?
Old 26-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

I am finding the same.

When it arrived, the speed change from ADSL was sensational. That wears off, as it really is a novelty. I watch the occasional YouTube video, otherwise I am mostly offline.

Now my attention is on proper offline things. Playing more guitar, straight razor shaving and honing, and turning my mind to a little more astrophotography.
Old 26-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
So there are many factors affecting your performance.
Yeah, a huge amount of factors.

And companies like Vocus, NBNCo and the like dole out this information in tiny bitelets, if at all. Or they just tell you that things are great, and the problems exists between the keyboard and chair (a PEBKAC error, as anyone in the computech fields would know it).
Old 26-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

My house internet maxes out at about 8/2 but from my kitchen that drops down to maybe .6/.1 haha
Old 26-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
My internet speed is 23.6 mbps for downloading, 4.8 for uploading.

I have recently transferred to NBN on the basic package.

Is this a good, normal or bad speed? (I really have no clue).

To find your speed, go to: speedtest.net (as said on yesterday's Sunrise program).
My NBN speeds are the same as yours, and it lets me receive Netflix High Definition without a problem, and I'm happy with it. I can't think of anyone who pumps out something to download at 100Mbps.

That said, I used to be on Optus Cable with supposedly 100Mbps at my old address seven years ago, and that was pretty hopeless. All my browsers were choked on downloads to between 50 and 100Kbps. I had to use an Internet Download Manager to circumvent the choke so that I could download at much higher speed. When I first moved here and was on ADSL2, except for at around the 6pm to 8pm evening period, the ADSL2 was better in my browsers than the supposedly high speed Optus Cable had been at my old place.
Regards,
Renato
Old 26-07-2017, 02:25 PM
raymo

My new NBN started out very variable, with peak times dropping as low
as D 3.1Mbps and U 4.2, but it seems to settling down for some reason,
and now peak times are around 12 to 15, which I am o.k. with.
raymo
Old 26-07-2017, 02:29 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I just ran a test...results are what I expected. Supposedly ADSL2+...more like dial up

6.97 Mbps download

0.32Mbps upload

YAY Telstra and CANBERRA! LOL
Old 26-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Kunama

As long as my computer works faster than I can type then all is well.....