Old 25-05-2018, 03:57 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

DSLR piggyback suggestions

Hi all,

I've been trying to get good exposures of the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex (centered on IC 4603) but even at 550mm it's such a big object I would need a mosaic to cover it well. I thought about piggybacking my dslr and taking some 300mm with the dslr while getting a bit more detail with the SW Esprit at 550mm. Does anyone have good advice about best ways to piggyback a dslr?

Thanks, Kevin
Old 25-05-2018, 04:25 PM
raymo

Most scope securing tube rings have a threaded hole on the top, into
which you can screw a rotating ball joint which enables you to point the camera wherever you want. You can get a ball joint on ebay for a couple of dollars if you are prepared to wait for it to come from China.
I suggest 150-200mm for that target.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 25-05-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: more text
Old 25-05-2018, 04:48 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Thanks Raymo,

I have until the moon wanes enough before I start imaging rho oph again so I'll look around and hopefully find something by then.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 25-05-2018, 05:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I took the top off an old tripod and fitted that on a rail on top which connects the four tube rings and this way I have the little fitting on the camera permanently so if I want I can just clip it in...
I also have a large alluminium foot that allows the camera to sit directly onto the mount...but have yet to make a small counter weight for that set up.
Alex
Old 26-05-2018, 09:28 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I find that screw mount on the top somewhat unreliable in securing the camera. I made a small flat footed bracket that attaches to the mount rings. The Lunt is great for that with a flat topped ring and several extra threaded holes for attaching other equipment. At one point I had the guide scope (SW80f5), an achro viewing scope (SW80f11) and a DSLR all mounted to a plate I made to fit the top of the Lunt. The achro was aligned with the Lunt so I could take a peek at the target during imaging. Kept me amused in the early pre PC control days.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:30 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I took the top off an old tripod and fitted that on a rail on top which connects the four tube rings and this way I have the little fitting on the camera permanently so if I want I can just clip it in...
I also have a large alluminium foot that allows the camera to sit directly onto the mount...but have yet to make a small counter weight for that set up.
Alex
You probably hardly need a CW for that Alex. Or just the extended bar could be sufficient. I have something similar for the DSLR on the EQ3 I play around with.
Old 26-05-2018, 01:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
You probably hardly need a CW for that Alex. Or just the extended bar could be sufficient. I have something similar for the DSLR on the EQ3 I play around with.
I have used it without a cou ter weight but I plan to make something up...a few sinkers in a resin case with the fastner set in that.
It would be nice to have it properly balanced.
Alex