Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

New Royal Australian Air Force F-35As leave the factory bound for Luke AFB

For the ex-RAAFies on IIS and those that enjoy military aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnMZ...ature=youtu.be

Please no arm chair opinions on the F-35 project...just enjoy the video.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Nice - the 2nd aircraft exited the hanger without a ground Marshall, unless he/she was the person filming the departure!

I wonder if these will replace the F/A-18's flyover at Riverfire in Brisbane?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 PM
JA

Very Nice thx for sharing...

After all that spending they couldn't afford the burn

Best
JA

EDIT: I remember being captivated by what was apparently a mocked up video with VTOL or ShortTakeoff VL a few years ago. I will link it out of interest if I find it... Actually I think it is/was the F-35B Lightning II
Old 12-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Oddity (Andrew)

That's some finely made machinery!

Thanks for sharing
Old 14-04-2018, 06:46 PM
clive milne

Just a pity that it is obsolete already..

And dare I say it, completely unnecessary.

Turnbul's NBN of the skies!

Last edited by clive milne; 14-04-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 15-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Oh yeah and single engine, what happens if this one flames out for any reason..
Old 15-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

They certainly are a beautiful piece of kit. I have always liked the lines on the F-35. I still like the F-111 more, though. That swing-wing design as a kid was science fiction, come to life!

Obsolete or not is debatable. They are replacing 30-45-year old fighters, and even with their faults are still so much more capable. Expensive, yes... but I'm sure we will get value out of them. And, if they gave me a choice, I would rather they parked this at my house over FTTN!
Old 15-04-2018, 10:36 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Oh yeah and single engine, what happens if this one flames out for any reason..
Flame out = punch out. Just like with the F-16

Time will tell with the F-35.
Old 15-04-2018, 01:33 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I think it's sad how some misjudge the F-35 based on standards/reasonings that apply to previous generations of multirole fighter.

Certain features of the F-35 demonstrate new methods of bringing the pointy end of the stick to the target, whilst minimising exposure to harm themselves. Frontal low observibility aside (obvious selling point), features like the remote assignment of ship based munitions can be a game changer. look into previous tests with F-35 / SM-6 integration.

Looking into the Specs of the P&W F135 engine, singularly pushing over twice the max thrust of the GE F414's (found in the F/A-18E), there's improved maintenance access, tooling and diagnostics.

Another point on costs, is that F-35 tooling/production is being built up, whilst others are either uncompetitively small runs, or previously large, but winding down. Soon enough the comparative cost curves will meet, in the F-35's favour.

I've read rumours of Canada considering our old F/A-18As for $1 a piece for parts, as with so many hours, that's all they're worth...

Clive, as for the notion of the F-35 being unnecessary...

Sorry Hans for the Armchair Generalissimo-ism.
TL;DR - I'm overjoyed they're finally closer to being delivered.

On another note, has anyone heard an F-22 in real life? We had a few in Townsville last year - they make the most eerie howling noise, that could be heard from across town.
Old 15-04-2018, 05:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Most modern fighters ( even the F111C ) have weapons systems that could deliver in ( stand off mode ) .... fire off an Exocet from 240klms away from the target and then go off in another direction while the the missile would continue on to the ' enemy target ' ...,hence the term ' Stand Off Mode '

You don't even have to ' visually ' see the target ... the Weapon System and Radar knows it there....

The FA18 weapons delivery system ( computer controlled ) would ' prioritize ' which enemy is the greatest threat .... fire of the missile and then look and assign the ' best ' weapon to use ... depending on the distance of the next ' threatening ' target. ..... like you wouldn't ' waste ' an Exocet on a close target ... more likely a 'SideWinder ' or use of the cannon.

I was never in favour of a 'single ' engine Fighter ... as some have said... flame out and if your too low ... you can kiss it all goodby.... let alone having engine damage at altitude ... punch out time as Lewis so aptly described it.

But ...we don't make the decisions on what to buy .... at least the FA18 was a good purchase eg: 2 engines ... at least you have a chance of getting home.

I'm sure the F35 is a very capable aircraft, both within its ' flight envelope ' and Weapons System ... but all you've got is a ' promise and a prayer ' if engine problems arise.....there's no way out ... but ' down '.......only MHO

Flash ( ex RAAF )

Last edited by FlashDrive; 15-04-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 15-04-2018, 06:46 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Irrespective of the pros and cons of the aircraft, I'm simply feeling old!

My last job in the RAAF was as a project liaison officer for the civil engineering works needed for the new (not yet delivered!) FA-18's for Tindal and Williamstown. The (Mirage!) squadrons were still up at Butterworth.

I seem to remember that the Mirage "weapons systems" relied pretty much simply on the pilot being able to see what he was shooting at, or who was shooting at him.

In terms of single engines, some of my pilot colleagues talked about putting a Mirage into a nose dive after a flame out to try to crank things up again (didn't always work!)...

- Dean
Old 16-04-2018, 08:55 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Yeah, well I am married... No weapon or defence system can possibly compensate ....
Old 17-04-2018, 10:34 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Yeah, well I am married... No weapon or defence system can possibly compensate ....
Old 17-04-2018, 01:50 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
A famous song comes to mind Rom...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODV6mxVVRZk
Old 17-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

While en-route LAX-SYD I happened upon a radio Australia broadcast on the F-35 project. One of the best bits of investigative journalism I've ever heard.
It should have been on 4 corners...not some HF broadcast to the middle of the Pacific.

A major problem with the program is not the airframe, or the fact it will likely cost 5% of Australian GDP, but perversely the helmet's (full of VR and targeting electronics) weight.

If a pilot ejects and that person weighs less than 70Kg, spinal injury is almost a certainty! ( due the initial acceleration/g's from the seat wanting to snap their necks.) The bigger the pilot, the less severe the injury...but simply put...injuries were expected regardless.
Old 17-04-2018, 04:26 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
If a pilot ejects and that person weighs less than 70Kg, spinal injury is almost a certainty! ( due the initial acceleration/g's from the seat wanting to snap their necks.) The bigger the pilot, the less severe the injury...but simply put...injuries were expected regardless.
That's interesting P. Sounds like they should use less and/or staged explosives in the ejection mechanism and/or that it should be a function of pilot weight possibly determined by load cell in the seat or setting before flight. It's just an extension of what is done in motor vehicles with air bags firing or not depending on seat occupancy. Or add weight (unlikey in an aircraft setting) or have a few extra parmas every week in the mess.

And 5% of GDP to boot

Best
JA
Old 17-04-2018, 04:31 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
A famous song comes to mind Rom...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODV6mxVVRZk
Nice tune, which I happen to know very well. In all honesty, my wife is a total
doll and I couldn't handle a day without her...

... yes, she's standing behind me..., and the bowie is just tickling C4...
Old 17-04-2018, 04:50 PM
beren

Nice looking birds for sure even better in flight {Star Wars canyon}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9HqVXGRJL0&t=54s

good general intro on the stealth tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruz6MoHKZn0