Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 04-10-2017, 05:28 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Celestron 8se bundle. Fair asking price/interest?

Hi folks.
Just thought I'd get some idea of a fair selling price of my Celestron 8se. Or perhaps some interest in a purchase?
Forgive me for not posting this thread on the classified section, it's just I've got no real idea of a fair price and it's a bit more complicated as I'm only really prepared to sell all of my gear as a bundled lot. Thought I also might get the interest of a few newbies to this awesome hobby.
My bundle includes the Celestron 1.25" eye piece kit in case. The case has Plossl eyepieces, x2 Barlow lens, various filters including a higher quality lunar filter purchased separately from Bintel. A Celestron dew shield. Set of x3 vibration damper pads for the tripod.
A Canon T ring and Celestron T adapter, Along with an eye piece adapter tube.
Also included is the 1st generation Celestron Neximage and a CD book of: A Guide to DSLR Planetary Imaging by Jerry Lodriguss.

The 8se itself comes with all the bits and bobs i.e., AC/DC power leads and manuals. Everything you'd expected to find when newly opened.
The OTA (optical tube assembly for all the newbies out there ) comes securely packed away in a big travel bag. Not designed for the OTA. Just something I picked up from Aussie disposals one day that's water resistant, has a hard base and can zip close with foam packed around it which does the job nicely. Really nice for when transporting to dark sky's or storage.
I'm also including a handy little tool box which is great for storing/transporting all the scopes bits and bobs. I personally use it for a screw driver (mounting the finder scope to the OTA) vibration pads and power leads, and a Celestron red torch (also included). It's nothing by fancy, but very convenient and handy.

I've owned the scope for about 4yrs. And in that time I reckon I've used it no more than a dozen times. I'm the second owner of this scope. I originally purchased it of a friend of mines uncle who got as a gift and used it twice. It's in fantastic condition.
I simply just don't get the time to use it so I've decided to potentially sell it if I get a reasonable price. I'm only really prepared to sell it as a bundle and definitely not sell the OTA as a separate item as I know this alone would gather some attention. Sorry guys!
As I mentioned before, I'm not quite sure of an asking price as it's difficult being bundled up. The cheapest I've seen the 8se alone being sold new is around the $2500 mark. I know I'm not going to get that but would be very interested to get an opinion of a possible asking price that's fair. Or if I get any interest/offers. If anyone is generally interested I'm more than happy to forward pics or answer any questions. But as I've got no clue in what the price should be I don't see the point of posting an add in the classified section.
Thanks for reading folks and I hope to get some input of a asking price or better yet some interest.
Regards,
Ben
Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM
JA

I would start at half to two thirds the new price, unless you acquired it at significantly less than that, in which case I would price at something close to or lower than that in order to move it quickly, rather than wait ages only to have to lower it later. Good luck with your sale.

Best
JA
Old 04-10-2017, 06:00 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Thanks for the input JA. Yeah I was thinking that was a fair estimate to work off but didn't want to be a laughing stock asking too much. Well on that note I'd definitely sell for $1000 to $1400.
I'll sit on that I'll guess and see if I get any interest. If not I'll be sure to post in the classifieds then maybe gumtree. Really wanted to avoid gumtree with all the time wasters but you never know, I might even get an offer of $1400 or a little bit more.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Ben that price of $1400 is reasonable considering the extras , advertise it here as its dealing with people in the hobby that are in the know , NOT ! gumtree as most people there would not know what this even is and there are many rogue's there .

On that its a great scope and I am sure it will sell , dont forget ' photo's ' , people here love photo's , lot's of photo's .

Good luck
Old 04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Cheers Brian.
Will be sure to do so. Delighted to know I potentially could get that much for it. And yes gumtree would be a waste of time but I guess a last resort option. A gentleman been trying to sell his 4se for a few months on there. Wonder how many time wasters he's had? Perhaps I should drop him a line about this site
eBay is a option but selling something of this value, I imagine they would take a decent cut as I've never sold on there before nor gumtree for that matter.
Well for those interested reading this thread be patient as I'll have to get everything out of storage, get some pictures happening and get it posted on the classified section.
Cheers for the help guys. Any more input will be appreciated (or intested buyers) but I'm glad I now have idea of what to ask.
Thank you again
Old 06-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Dutchy (Tim)

PM sent mate