Old 14-05-2017, 08:45 AM
cadman342001 (Andy)

PA'ing Polemaster on Star Adventurer

Did it for the first time last night yay! Took me ages to find the SCP / Octans / sig Oct but I got there in the end just before the moon came up.

I have a question though - during the accurate PA stage it (the program that comes with the Polemaster to do the PA) says to rotate the mount through at least 30 degrees and you have to do this twice, selecting a second star and then monitoring it to make sure said star stays on the green circle when you rotate the mount back to "Park / Home"

Clearly the instructions are for a telescope/powered mount, but what about the Star Adventurer ? Even if I put the tracker on at 12X it still doesn't move very fast. I ended up rotating it by hand with power off as the clutch was not completely tight. I'm hoping not to damage the drive by leaving the power off at this point.

I know this isn't going to be the most accurate PA because of this, it even mentions not to loosen off the clutch and rotate the mount by hand in the instruction manual. (I have the Astro pack including the extended L dovetail and counterweight btw.)

So how do I do it / can I do it ? Presumably this would be the case for Astrotrac / iOptron etc also ?

I'll be back out there tonight again weather permitting to have another go, moon rises an hour later, I now know where I'm looking for the SCP etc.
I'll have the 200mm on the D600 again and will have more time to push exposure tests until I get streaking of the stars.

TIA

Andy
Old 14-05-2017, 11:26 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

I don't have a pole master or a star adventurer. Logically, if the clutch allows the polar axis to rotate which it must to allow you to point the camera, there shouldn't be any difference between powered slewing a 30 polar rotation and pushing it by hand. The polemaster only needs two or three different angles so the plate solver can work out the position of the pole relative to the scope's polar axis.

Joe
Old 15-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Rigel003 (Graeme)

I've used Polemaster with my Astro-trac and moving it manually works fine.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:53 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

I don't turn my SA on until I have it polar aligned with Polemaster. Moving the axis by hand is fine during the polar alignment procedure. Btw, I tightened the RA axis a bit using the Allen key bolt and rotating is now much smoother and the selected star stays on the axis of rotation line when returning to home in the PM software.