Old 13-12-2011, 09:58 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Solar Eclipse November 2012

I didn't know whether to split this opening post into individual areas, so for the moment I've lumped them all together here.

I'm just doing some preliminary homework at this point, throwing some ideas around in my head. Looking at maybe heading to Cairns in November 14th 2012 for the eclipse. Thinking of arriving the day before (Tuesday 13th) and leaving after the eclipse the day after (Thursday 15th), so really only aiming to stay for two night's accommodation. This is all tentative at this stage.

Accommodation

There will be myself and maybe a work mate who is interested in the idea - so a maximum of two people.

I don't really want to join up with any official tour organisers and I'll (we'll) be on a strict budget. The aim is to get some cheap airfares (or use up some frequent flyer points), and all we need is accommodation for the two nights.

Does anyone have any indication at this early stage on how popular the bookings are in the Cairns area?

Equipment

Aiming to travel light, and what ever astro gear I take I will attempt to carry on luggage on a flight.

I'd like to hear of any ideas of what would be the most effective imaging setup, with an emphasis on simplicity (don't want to be fiddling around with astro gear while missing out on the eclipse!) and portability (minimal amount of gear to take on a flight). So I've come up with:

- DSLR (Canon 450D)
- Remote control
- 18-55mm IS lens (for daytime snaps only)

- Some type of 60-80mm refractor (Orion ED 80)?
- Solar filter (here)
- Tripod

Is it worth taking the 300mm lens? Would the solar disk size be too small?

Viewing locations

Any suggestions from any local members on some viewing locations?

Regards,
Stephen