Old 05-12-2018, 01:01 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

ZWO ASIair

Just purchased myself one of these badboys:
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/asiair/

Keen to streamline my setup and this should be awesome for that! Unfortunately I'll still need to use the laptop to use the polemaster software, just waiting for a mobile version

this is the video that convinced me (Same guy that got me into astro):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwDoKpvajoo

Once it arrives and there are clear skies i'll let everyone know how it goes!
Old 05-12-2018, 03:05 PM
RKenning (Robert)

I have made up my shopping list using the same two cameras and ASiAir. About $2,500. Need to get an ST 80 as well. I love Trevors videos.
Will be looking forward to how you go with it. Cheers -Rob
Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I will be most interested.
Alex
Old 05-12-2018, 04:13 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I'm also keen to see how this compares to iAstrohub 3.x
Old 05-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

What about your laptop wifi? Connect it that way and sit inside but really. Can you connect via laptop very interested in your findings.

Karl
Old 05-12-2018, 11:49 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
What about your laptop wifi? Connect it that way and sit inside but really. Can you connect via laptop very interested in your findings.

Karl
If the app is available on my laptop then I don't see why not

I'm actually beyond excited to try this. Especially now that I use a Samsung Note 9 phone which is basically a mini tablet.

Will update you when I figure it all out!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Just an update for everyone.

I tested it out over the weekend and I am actually surprised in how it performs (forgot to take screenshots sorry).

Guiding was awesome, it was identical in performance to PHD2.

The focus aid is also awesome as it allowed me to completely zoom in on a star to get the sharpest focus without even having to worry about using the bahtinov mask.

An issues I ran into was that the tracking on the mount kept turning itself off in the ipad app, so I had to power everything down and back up to fix (not the end of the world).

I spent most of my time trying to figure out the go-to function, as it was not performing properly. I was able to plate solve almost instantly anywhere in the sky, but when I tried to use the goto function it would go out of wack and start pointing the scope toward the ground. I even manually moved the scope with the in-built hand controller in the app toward the general direction of the Orion neb, plate-solved to that general area, but the goto would then swing the scope in the opposite direction and then start pointing it to the ground when I told it to go to Orion.

I have a feeling it may be some issues with the app reading my location from the Ipad, so once the skies are clear again I will test it all out and take screenshots.

All in all, the app is smooth, it makes my setup completely streamlined and its only a matter of time until the app supports the polemaster which would eliminate my need for a laptop completely.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I subscribe to Astro Backyard and Trevor emailed his write up on the ZWO ASI air a week or so ago
I saw his YouTube last week and was amazed what this software can do ( almost the total package )

Cheers
Old 10-12-2018, 04:00 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I subscribe to Astro Backyard and Trevor emailed his write up on the ZWO ASI air a week or so ago
I saw his YouTube last week and was amazed what this software can do ( almost the total package )

Cheers
His video is definitely the reason I purchased it. Once i figure out all the kinks, I think my imaging nights will become flawless
Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I also saw on ASIs own YouTube video on the ASIAir, and there was a brief tease that they will soon be releasing their own autofocus hardware that the ASIAir will also support.