Old 28-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

The Truncated Trap

Plywood, fibreglass, fixings and cement all now stored. Awaiting delivery of steel ring roll former and the subsequent rolling (by self) of the base ring. 2.4 metre diameter. (That will probably be 3 bottles of red timewise, and much cursing!) Using screwed steel strap behind panels during construction, then fibreglass strip over filled joints outside, then eggshell blue pondpaint finish. Aperture will be a "lift out", 2 panels wide (+800mm) by 2nd and 3rd panels down. This gives a complete circumference above and below the aperture for strength and rigidity. Finally, I'm getting underway after procrastinating over dome vs ROR. Will house the 10" SCT on handmade GEM/GOTO. Completion June 2018?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (trapdome.jpg)
21.1 KB58 views
Old 28-12-2017, 10:58 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
Plywood, fibreglass, fixings and cement all now stored. Awaiting delivery of steel ring roll former and the subsequent rolling (by self) of the base ring. 2.4 metre diameter. (That will probably be 3 bottles of red timewise, and much cursing!) Using screwed steel strap behind panels during construction, then fibreglass strip over filled joints outside, then eggshell blue pondpaint finish. Aperture will be a "lift out", 2 panels wide (+800mm) by 2nd and 3rd panels down. This gives a complete circumference above and below the aperture for strength and rigidity. Finally, I'm getting underway after procrastinating over dome vs ROR. Will house the 10" SCT on handmade GEM/GOTO. Completion June 2018?
Looks great Boozle, for the Big Meade..you dont get much obstruction with higher objects near Zenith with only the 2nd and 3rd removed.?..I guess to keep it all strong..looking good!
bigjoe.
Old 29-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Looks great Boozle, for the Big Meade..you dont get much obstruction with higher objects near Zenith with only the 2nd and 3rd removed.?..I guess to keep it all strong..looking good!
bigjoe.
The zenith issue was considered, I'll be missing app 280mm from zenith point @ 1200 height from aperture of scope. I can live with that, as I rarely find the need for vertical work with my observations so far. (Visual only, I'm not AP adept!) If it becomes a problem, there is always the jigsaw close at hand to modify to a "shutter" aperture! I decided the trapezium was the way to go for ease of construction/cost effectiveness. Suppose it will look like a miniature yurt though.........
Old 29-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Interesting design....
I went for the simpler Octodome concept....worked very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Observatory 1984.jpg)
111.8 KB88 views
Click for full-size image (canopus320_1984.jpg)
105.4 KB87 views
Old 29-12-2017, 02:04 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
The zenith issue was considered, I'll be missing app 280mm from zenith point @ 1200 height from aperture of scope. I can live with that, as I rarely find the need for vertical work with my observations so far. (Visual only, I'm not AP adept!) If it becomes a problem, there is always the jigsaw close at hand to modify to a "shutter" aperture! I decided the trapezium was the way to go for ease of construction/cost effectiveness. Suppose it will look like a miniature yurt though.........

Boozle.. It will turn out well ..I can see it..Celebrate with a bottle of Wynns John Riddoch if you can , cheeses grapes etc, or just Jacobs Creek Cab or Hermitage otherwise..Keep us posted this is interesting, as haven't even started mine yet ..may just do roll off ..Got Aarons to do a Cabana at property in Castlereagh ,West of Sydney may get him involved.
bigjoe.
Old 29-12-2017, 02:07 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Interesting design....
I went for the simpler Octodome concept....worked very well.
First time I've seen this Ken ..Looks good also..and looks like it s cool inside.. the way its designed... Did you celebrate?
bigjoe
Old 29-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

BigJoe,

It was a 3 x 3mtr observatory for the 12" f5 "Canopus" telescope.
The inner height was very useful, a couple of side doors in the dome allowed viewing down towards the horizon and a simple roll off top section allowed access to the zenith.
Easy to use and very effective.
(Building using larger flat ply panels for the sides and roof, I think, is much easier than than other methods...)
Old 30-12-2017, 01:25 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
BigJoe,

It was a 3 x 3mtr observatory for the 12" f5 "Canopus" telescope.
The inner height was very useful, a couple of side doors in the dome allowed viewing down towards the horizon and a simple roll off top section allowed access to the zenith.
Easy to use and very effective.
(Building using larger flat ply panels for the sides and roof, I think, is much easier than than other methods...)
Thanks Ken ..Ill keep this post so can look at photos for ideas for mine.
With thanks ..bigjoe.