Old 21-04-2015, 05:31 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

USB hub

Any recommendations for a USB hub? Mount hub pro is way out of the ballpark price wise.

Looking for something either unpowered, vdc powered, or can be run via a cheap inverter.

I'll have 2 cameras, 1 mount and 1 filter wheel to run through it, although I could use my spare USB port on the laptop for one of those.
Old 21-04-2015, 07:12 PM
DarkArts

This one works well for me:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/IT-Products...B-2-0/p/XC4864

It's 5vdc powered or can be used unpowered. I have mine mounted on a bracket on the side of my 'scope.
Old 21-04-2015, 07:15 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Perfect, thanks mate! :-)

I currently have a miniature 4-port and playing the "which ports are going to work tonight" game is getting a little old. Funny thing is, I paid about twice as much for it as the price on the one you just linked.
Old 21-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

I have that same hub (rebranded Belkin) and have issues. I'm at the point now of going all out and getting something like this puppy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CarNetix-DC-.../dp/B004NDU37A

I love that she's 12v and all four ports have dedicated power.

The CarNetix CNX-P5USB is a DC-powered 4-port USB hub designed for automotive or embedded DC-powered applications. The P5USB includes and internal DC-DC regulator so that each of the 4 USB ports can provide up to 500mA of current to the downstream USB devices. The P5USB can be used in either a +12V or +24V automotive environment. It will operate down to 7V (survives engine cranking) and can withstand voltage transients typically found in a harsh automotive environment. The DC input includes reverse polarity protection, transient suppression, and an internal in-line, self-resetting fuse. A self-locking power cable is included. The P5USB can be turned ON or OFF either by the car's ignition line or by sensing the presence of +5V on the upstream host USB device (PC). This helps prevent battery discharge when the PC is left in Standby for extended periods of time. The P5USB includes an Shutdown Delay jumper which can be set to allow the P5USB to remain on for either 5 minutes or 25 minutes after the Ignition is turned off. This prevents the loss of USB connectivity during short stops if the PC is left running. The CNX-P5USB can be used in a variety of automotive, embedded, marine, mobile, or industrial applications that require the use of a DC power source (ie battery, solar). The internal DC-DC converter can stabilizes a source voltage from as low as 7 volts up to 32 volts and provide a clean +5V output for the connected USB devices. Each downstream USB port is independently current limited and provides an LED indication of USB enumeration. The P5USB comes in a compact plastic enclosure that measures 5.12" x 2.84" x 1.1" and includes mounting tabs. The P5USB does require a USB input voltage to be recognized (i.e. plugged into a computer) to turn on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (413oZ5Ia7HL._SY400_.jpg)
18.2 KB53 views
Old 21-04-2015, 08:05 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Cheers Logan :-)

That definitely looks like it'd do the trick, but unfortunately it's out of my budget for the moment. Not opposed to getting something like that going forward, but I'm also going to need to buy a new focuser, and ideally OIII & SII filters before lashing out on something like that, and I have money for none of the above just yet ;-)
Old 21-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

No trouble. Give those cheapies a go - plenty to choose from - you might get lucky...
Old 21-04-2015, 08:47 PM
DarkArts

I gave a couple of cheap ones off eBay a go - a 4-port and a 7-port - and both had compatibility and drop-out issues. The one I linked to worked in Windows XP/7/8.1 and also Linux - it hasn't missed a beat.
Old 21-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

I have had really good results with Belkin - originally a 4 port and now a 7, both powered by 5vDC, which is easy to get from 12v (I use a 7805 in the Sharpsky box, with an external heatsink). Not expensive, but both have worked perfectly. The 7 port is up on the scope right now, running the EQ8, SXH694, QHY5L2, Atik filter wheel and a Sharpsky focuser box, through one USB line to the PC .

Last edited by Shiraz; 22-04-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 21-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

I have one of these 5 port LAN based USB hubs from Belkin and it has its own software to control it showing whats on line.
You can connect or disconnect any single item and refresh the list as you go.
I run my EQ6 Pro, GPUSB, Canon SLR, QSI camera with filter wheel and cooling and also a wireless dongle for mount remote control oh and a USB focus control through it.

On the down side it doesn't like web cams or my SX Lodestar guide camera.
I don't use a web cam but the Lodestar I run an active USB lead.

So one LAN cable and one USB lead does it all.
Price is mid range, not sure if they are still available when I come to think of it but a pretty good jigger if you can get one, no port conflicts it just works.

Search for (Belkin F5L009 5 Port Network USB Hub)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Belkin_F5L009_5_Port_Network_USB_2_0_522175.jpg)
31.0 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (Belkin 1.jpg)
42.8 KB48 views
Old 21-04-2015, 09:41 PM
PeterM

At $45 from Office Works with 7 switchable usb2 and 3 ports and a solid power supply I find the MBeat to the best I have used. Sorry its powered but maybe ok with an inverter.http://www.mbeat.com.au/product/mbea...with-switches/

Last edited by PeterM; 21-04-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 21-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
I gave a couple of cheap ones off eBay a go - a 4-port and a 7-port - and both had compatibility and drop-out issues. The one I linked to worked in Windows XP/7/8.1 and also Linux - it hasn't missed a beat.
Nice. What equipment are you running through it?
Old 22-04-2015, 05:40 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thanks everyone, some great info here! I went with the cheapo one first linked; it's cheap enough that if it doesn't work well I haven't lost much. If it doesn't work so well I'll eventually upgrade to one of the better ones when I have the spare change.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:25 PM
rally

+1
Been using these for a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
I have that same hub (rebranded Belkin) and have issues. I'm at the point now of going all out and getting something like this puppy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CarNetix-DC-.../dp/B004NDU37A

I love that she's 12v and all four ports have dedicated power.

The CarNetix CNX-P5USB is a DC-powered 4-port USB hub designed for automotive or embedded DC-powered applications. The P5USB includes and internal DC-DC regulator so that each of the 4 USB ports can provide up to 500mA of current to the downstream USB devices. The P5USB can be used in either a +12V or +24V automotive environment. It will operate down to 7V (survives engine cranking) and can withstand voltage transients typically found in a harsh automotive environment. The DC input includes reverse polarity protection, transient suppression, and an internal in-line, self-resetting fuse. A self-locking power cable is included. The P5USB can be turned ON or OFF either by the car's ignition line or by sensing the presence of +5V on the upstream host USB device (PC). This helps prevent battery discharge when the PC is left in Standby for extended periods of time. The P5USB includes an Shutdown Delay jumper which can be set to allow the P5USB to remain on for either 5 minutes or 25 minutes after the Ignition is turned off. This prevents the loss of USB connectivity during short stops if the PC is left running. The CNX-P5USB can be used in a variety of automotive, embedded, marine, mobile, or industrial applications that require the use of a DC power source (ie battery, solar). The internal DC-DC converter can stabilizes a source voltage from as low as 7 volts up to 32 volts and provide a clean +5V output for the connected USB devices. Each downstream USB port is independently current limited and provides an LED indication of USB enumeration. The P5USB comes in a compact plastic enclosure that measures 5.12" x 2.84" x 1.1" and includes mounting tabs. The P5USB does require a USB input voltage to be recognized (i.e. plugged into a computer) to turn on.
Old 27-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
At $45 from Office Works with 7 switchable usb2 and 3 ports and a solid power supply I find the MBeat to the best I have used. Sorry its powered but maybe ok with an inverter.http://www.mbeat.com.au/product/mbea...with-switches/
Peter. I got the Mbeat over the weekend. Loving it! No funky dropouts. Devices start normally on Win8 system restart and power up. Devices operate as though they were plugged directly into the MacMini, as they should. I especially like the chunky (fixed) usb cable of the Mbeat. The only quirk? When using my Canon 6D and SBIG STi. When the Canon files download to cpu I see momentary interference on the STi image at that time. All other STi images during guiding are OK. I need to look into this. It's not hub related. I plugged the Canon directly into MacMini usb port and the problem persisted. That aside, thanks for pointing out the Mbeat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (USB-M43_homepage1-510x510.jpg)
24.5 KB48 views
Old 28-04-2015, 05:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Perfect, thanks mate! :-)

I currently have a miniature 4-port and playing the "which ports are going to work tonight" game is getting a little old. Funny thing is, I paid about twice as much for it as the price on the one you just linked.
Just a bit of advice here. Always plug the same device into the same port it used last time. Due to the port number re-assignment process changing ports can eventually cause some issue as the list of changes accumulates at the PC. Just good practice and reduces problems.
Old 29-04-2015, 01:56 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I need to invest in something like this, I have cords running everywhere and they aren't long enough, are there issues in using an extension usb cord to get the hub to a laptop?

cheers
Old 29-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
I need to invest in something like this, I have cords running everywhere and they aren't long enough, are there issues in using an extension usb cord to get the hub to a laptop?

cheers
I use a Officeworks passive extension cable to run to my Belkin hub and it works fine. Might be better to splash out on an active extender though. I have everything mounted on the scope and It is such a pleasure to have one USB and a power cord to connect to the system.

Last edited by Shiraz; 29-04-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 29-04-2015, 05:11 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Just a bit of advice here. Always plug the same device into the same port it used last time. Due to the port number re-assignment process changing ports can eventually cause some issue as the list of changes accumulates at the PC. Just good practice and reduces problems.
Thanks mate, appreciate that. This is probably a silly question, but is this something inherent in USB, or OS specific?
Old 29-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post

cheers
I added a 1m extension cable to mine. Nil issues. The hub is 5v mains powered. Perhaps that helps...
Old 29-04-2015, 06:03 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've been using two of these for 4+years without any issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-4-Port-.../dp/B000SAB34O