ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Look into PemproV2 for PE correction. It's the gold standard. Guide scope ports (ST-4) are found on most goto mounts, but there are other software-related options (see EQMODs PulseGuide).

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 24-04-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 27-04-2015, 01:48 PM
adi (Avi)

Hye peter,
I am in same boat as yours. have Saxon 909 refractor and tried 10" Dob for some time but it is too heavy. Melbourne is cloudy and i dont have any access to remote site. may be we can share your remote location if you dont mind. i am currently evaluating if i should be spending on pick and go solution like CPC 800 XLT or C8+ HEQ5 pro type setup. but after reading a lot i guess i am thinking to spend more time with dark sky and try our best with what we can with existing DSLR. I have Canon 70D with 18-200 lens.
Old 27-04-2015, 03:56 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

what focal length/ratio is your 6" newt [f5 is fine fir imaging -if its f8 more challenging] -likely you could start with it -& your d-slr to begin with , then you really can concentrate on the mount & guide setup
[ i presume you want to guide rater than taking many 30sec exp & stacking them all]
Old 27-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi View Post
Hye peter,
I am in same boat as yours. have Saxon 909 refractor and tried 10" Dob for some time but it is too heavy. Melbourne is cloudy and i dont have any access to remote site. may be we can share your remote location if you dont mind. i am currently evaluating if i should be spending on pick and go solution like CPC 800 XLT or C8+ HEQ5 pro type setup. but after reading a lot i guess i am thinking to spend more time with dark sky and try our best with what we can with existing DSLR. I have Canon 70D with 18-200 lens.
thanks for your comments Avi,

After reading the comments and suggestions in this thread, I have simultaneously become encouraged and cautious about what to buy, especially in Melbourne suburbia. As far as my remote location is concerned its not ideal, but far better than the Melbourne suburbs and is only about 95km from the City centre on the peninsula.

Mobility and ease of use is becoming an issue now, if I need to travel around to obtain reasonably clear night skies. The astrophotographical requirements I need are really secondary. My main goal revolves around tracking accuracy and the degree of light collection by the OTA.

I plan to carry long term analytical research, and so the equipment I choose now is critical - the set up would need to be at least up gradable or over sized. One set of measurements I plan to do, for which I have access to instrumentation requires at least a 14" aperture, perhaps even 16". This is not really within my budget, even for a Dobsonian scope (which, from my research so far has inadequate tracking accuracy. I may need to scrap that particular experiment, unless I can team up with someone with a large scope, or perhaps an astronomical society that allows its members to rent or use their observatories and equipment).

Its very early in proceedings, so I haven't decided on which pathway I will take. At this stage, it looks as though, I may wait some years and raise additional money to get what I need. In the meantime I will use the 60mm Tasco reflector and the endure the shocking optics of my reflector - both without tracking or drives)

cheers
Old 27-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
what focal length/ratio is your 6" newt [f5 is fine fir imaging -if its f8 more challenging] -likely you could start with it -& your d-slr to begin with , then you really can concentrate on the mount & guide setup
[ i presume you want to guide rater than taking many 30sec exp & stacking them all]
Daniel, not sure. The focal length on the tube plate says 1200mm. Its a fairly long Newtonian (and old, about 25 years)

I plan to conduct experiments and generate long term data with the new set up. My main priorities are light collection ability (aperture) and tracking stability. I partly wish to reproduce certain results and observations and compare them with the scientific literature and I am also looking for several phenomena which I may be able to detect indirectly.

Astrophotographical set ups seem to be where all the high tech gear and software is focused.

cheers
Old 27-04-2015, 08:01 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

ok so 1200/150mm = f8 ratio
Old 28-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
ok so 1200/150mm = f8 ratio
learn something everyday - thanks

So this would be a slow scope for photography?

It can a poor mirror finish and very cheap eyepieces. Although It has given me a lot of fun over the years. I still use it on occasions - usually when something is going on - like an eclipse or comet flying around.