Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Custom cases for telescopes

Anyone know of any custom made cases for telescope places in Melbourne?

I was quoted $325 for a case that will fit a lunt 50.

Would like to use the foam that came with it.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:37 PM
jjz (Joe)

If your after a wooden case, and not interested in making one yourself, someone here will make you one...

http://www.woodworkforums.com/

JJZ
Old 13-04-2015, 07:08 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Was thinking of a lighter material.
Old 13-04-2015, 07:23 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Do you have your Lunt? How do you like it? Sorry to derail your case question...
Old 13-04-2015, 07:28 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Very easy to make it yourself out of ply. All you'd need is one sheet (MAYBE 2), 2 hinges (if you want the lid to hinge) and a hasp for the front plus wood glue and some small brads or screws. Total materials cost less than $50, and would only take around 2 hours to make - if that. Tools required would be as simple as a hand saw and straight edge and pencil, or even better, a jig saw (or better still a band saw with fence).

Also, Supercheap auto sell tool cases that should fit a Lunt for around $90. Bunnings also have them.
Old 13-04-2015, 04:01 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Very easy to make it yourself out of ply. All you'd need is one sheet (MAYBE 2), 2 hinges (if you want the lid to hinge) and a hasp for the front plus wood glue and some small brads or screws. Total materials cost less than $50, and would only take around 2 hours to make - if that. Tools required would be as simple as a hand saw and straight edge and pencil, or even better, a jig saw (or better still a band saw with fence).

Also, Supercheap auto sell tool cases that should fit a Lunt for around $90. Bunnings also have them.
Yep I have a few of those cases from Bunnings which are very, very good! However considering the Lunt is expensive I wanted to use the foam that came with the Lunt as it is very strong and holds the scope in place really well.
Old 13-04-2015, 04:02 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
Do you have your Lunt? How do you like it? Sorry to derail your case question...
No worries.

I have not taken it out yet but so far I am very impressed and happy with it especially the build quality. Made in the U.S.A., can't get any better than that!
Old 13-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Kunama

Stefan, the softer foams are actually more kind to your equipment as they absorb far more. Some cases I have seen with harder foam or worse still with felt lined wood cradles do nothing but keep the dust out. Any knock or bump is transmitted straight to the optic inside.
In my Pelican case I replaced the first 2" layer with much softer foam so there would be some give.
One of the worst things (other than the $$$$$) about Takahashi scopes is they come triple boxed with polystyrene sheet in the packing. I would really love to see bubble wrap instead.
Old 13-04-2015, 09:06 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Stefan, the softer foams are actually more kind to your equipment as they absorb far more. Some cases I have seen with harder foam or worse still with felt lined wood cradles do nothing but keep the dust out. Any knock or bump is transmitted straight to the optic inside.
In my Pelican case I replaced the first 2" layer with much softer foam so there would be some give.
One of the worst things (other than the $$$$$) about Takahashi scopes is they come triple boxed with polystyrene sheet in the packing. I would really love to see bubble wrap instead.
Maybe the craftright case from Bunnings might be alright then.
Old 13-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
Maybe the craftright case from Bunnings might be alright then.
I use the Kinchrome Cases from Bunnings, they are better built than the Craftright and come in bright yellow, easier to see in the dim light out observing.
Old 13-04-2015, 09:26 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
I use the Kinchrome Cases from Bunnings, they are better built than the Craftright and come in bright yellow, easier to see in the dim light out observing.
Ah yes just saw them now.

Might get something like that if they are better built. I don't mind spending the extra money considering it's protecting a scope that's worth a lot of money.

I was quoted $322 for a custom built one with the pre-cut foam I already have. Apparently that's for this type of case: http://www.caseman.com.au/lite.html

Is that a rip off price?
Old 13-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Quote:
I was quoted $322 for a custom built one with the pre-cut foam I already have. Apparently that's for this type of case: http://www.caseman.com.au/lite.html

Is that a rip off price?
Probably not. Having made a few cases over the years and knowing what the hardware can cost, that seems reasonable for a custom made case.
Old 14-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Probably not. Having made a few cases over the years and knowing what the hardware can cost, that seems reasonable for a custom made case.
I priced the materials required for a case to take the TOA130S and it just was not worth my time to do it that way. The hardware, extrusions and panels would have cost $450. For an extra $200 I ended up importing a large Pelican case from USA.

$322 sounds pretty right for a case of that type.
Old 14-04-2015, 12:43 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

The Kinchromes look good, the medium sized one seems like it would be a good size but not sure if I can fit my equipment.

This is why a custom built to the dimensions would be better in terms of space but also costs an extra $250 which is a little hard to get my head around.
Old 14-04-2015, 01:47 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Anyone know if Vanguard cases are any good?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VANGUARD-...item4ae7ff7d08
Old 14-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Kunama

Quote:
The Kinchromes look good, the medium sized one seems like it would be a good size but not sure if I can fit my equipment.

This is why a custom built to the dimensions would be better in terms of space but also costs an extra $250 which is a little hard to get my head around.
I have the Medium and a couple of Large ones and am about to get the extra large one as well. I doubt you will fit much in the medium size Kinchrome.

Can't help re the Vanguard except to say that I prefer my cases to be airtight and then include a bag of desiccant to keep the Fun Guys out of the optics.
The Large Kinchrome sells for about $89 and the extra large for $129.

I would suggest you buy one big enough to take the scope, eyepieces and a few accessories.
Old 21-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Louwai (Bryan)
SDM Convert

Stefan, Have you bought a case yet?? I have Hard Cases for sale.
With pull-out handle & roller wheels. No need to carry.

Good quallity.

B

Quote:
Anyone know if Vanguard cases are any good?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VANGUARD-...item4ae7ff7d08
Old 22-04-2015, 09:28 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
I have the Medium and a couple of Large ones and am about to get the extra large one as well. I doubt you will fit much in the medium size Kinchrome.

Can't help re the Vanguard except to say that I prefer my cases to be airtight and then include a bag of desiccant to keep the Fun Guys out of the optics.
The Large Kinchrome sells for about $89 and the extra large for $129.

I would suggest you buy one big enough to take the scope, eyepieces and a few accessories.
I ended up buying a case from a music store (never thought of checking a music store!).

I bought this one http://www.jdsound.com.au/products/6...x33x20-cm.aspx

It fits the Lunt perfectly with room to spare for accessories. It's strong, weighs a bit and looks nice
Old 22-04-2015, 09:29 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louwai View Post
Stefan, Have you bought a case yet?? I have Hard Cases for sale.
With pull-out handle & roller wheels. No need to carry.

Good quallity.

B
Hey mate.

Yep eventually found one.

Are you able to post up some photos on the type of cases you make? Would consider for future purchase.

Stefan.