Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-10-2018, 05:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It seems that if we wanted to we could with the software available combine all our images ... so it would not be to difficult to set up a place we could download our images and process the lot...say of one of the clouds...I dont know what could be done with such a set up..maybe help science ... mmm we need a committee☺
Alex
Old 20-10-2018, 05:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You probably could set up a site like there are hosting photos with as a kicker to use our site to engage in a monster photo project ...
Alex
Old 20-10-2018, 05:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

If you could write a program for S/N such that you could statistically anaylse each photo against the average of the group and refine what you could treat as signal.
Its not raining but I cant get out of the rainy day mentality.
I should set up its clear but the Moon and it will be so wet ...I have tried in these conditions and its tuff...plis I cant drag the genny over the muddy lawn to set up...
I bundled the mount power cord with all the camera and guide cables..bad idea...I could just go unguided with the dslr camera and 200 mm lens just for the heck of it...
Alex
Old 21-10-2018, 12:19 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
Well I can report that the eBay Geoptik work-alike is excellent.
I managed to find a 7.5mm T2 extender (Baader - courtesy of Astro Anarchy).

So I now theoretically have a strong & squarely coupled and perfectly spaced solution to the Samyang 135mm-ZWO camera tilt, mounting and spacing problems.

It seems to be such an elegant solution to everything else I (and others) have tried.

So we have 19mm for the EOS-T2 adapter, 7.5mm for the Baader extender, 11mm for the ZWO extension ring, and 6.5mm to the sensor = 44mm total. I sure hope I have my maths and flange-focal-distance theory correct !

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning after 5 weeks of cloud I will get to try it out.
Thanks for the update, Kelvin! I might have to get one of those adapters to add to my collection. I also have one on the way from Astro Hutech.

Are you using a UV/IR blocking filter with the ASI183? I tried using the ASI294 without one and the results were truly awful.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 21-10-2018, 12:28 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Hi Alex,

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
You probably could set up a site like there are hosting photos with as a kicker to use our site to engage in a monster photo project ...
On Astrobin you can use a Creative Commons license to make your images available for use in projects like this.
Old 21-10-2018, 05:10 PM
silv (Annette)

Alex, that's a cool idea! and +1 from me for the committee!
I googled "dragon fly project" and it came up with a) a virtual bereavement/sympathy card sending site and Google's censorship interests [in China]. Can't imagine a reason why your brain circuits would associate either with crowd astrophotography???

The crowd images on astrobin by Morton Balling &Crowd go for aesthetics&detail in assumed static DS objects, i.e. he uses images indiscriminate of their imaging date/year. But you would pursue a little more scientific approach and ensure images are taken within a given short time frame?

Which other parameters, other than DSO/area of the sky and time frame, would have to be met by uploaders? Would it be okay to upload stacked versions? Or do you think of collecting actual subs? Not saying "that can't be done", just trying to get more detail out of your dream.
Old 21-10-2018, 05:21 PM
silv (Annette)

I can imagine several common dropbox-like accounts, upload-only for donating participants. An automatic notification email containing the link to the newly uploaded image which triggers an agent on the recipient's computer to start downloading for later stacking and processing.
If the given time frame were 1 week and the number of participants were, say, 150 per DSO/specified region of the sky (depending on the imaging goal to be discussed and decided in the committee ) - each recipient/admin of a dropbox would only have to manually handle 150 images (or the frames of 150 participants) per week (or per time frame set out in the committee).

Not too daunting a task for an individual, is it?

The next week, it'll be a different goal and a different group of stacking volunteers.

And the end results by each stacking volunteer can go up on Astrobin to a shared project account. To be used later for something else, like an all-sky-web-app Nick mentioned, or a scientific comparison with Hubble's successor, that imaging satellite, or something. Depends on the committee's vision.

Last edited by silv; 21-10-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 21-10-2018, 07:22 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
I googled "dragon fly project" and it came up with a) a virtual bereavement/sympathy card sending site and Google's censorship interests [in China]. Can't imagine a reason why your brain circuits would associate either with crowd astrophotography???
https://petapixel.com/2015/05/27/thi...-worth-100000/