Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 26-05-2020, 12:08 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Vixen porta or similar (SW AZ5?) alt-az grab and go

Hello team,

Looking back through old posts, these seem to come up sometimes and I was wondering if anyone has one sitting around collecting dust?

I'm building a set up to use while my main scope is taking pics... its a bit boring sitting around looking at the computer, and it often leads to me wanting more and bigger and better gear!

I'm in Canberra, if that matters.

Cheers,
JP
Old 26-05-2020, 12:52 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

JP,

If you have no luck finding the Portamount or AZ5 take a look at the GSO SkyView ATZ heavy duty.

There is a review of one under the 'Equipment Reviews' section of this site, upper left. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/44-636-0-0-1-0.html

I had one earlier in my astronomy journey, then sold it when I went to goto mounts & repurchased one recently when I realised how much I missed it as a lightweight portable mount for basic visual use. My first one came with 2 x slowmo controls, the second one with an eyepiece holder & 1 x slowmo control. I got hold of a second slowmo control from an old EQ mount & drilled it out to fit...

Andrews Communications has them for $299 brand spanking new... BINTEL also sells them for $399.

Bought mine from Andrews, think it cost me about $70 freight to Cairns, Qld.. might be cheaper for you in Canberra.

Cheers
Old 26-05-2020, 12:58 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Carlton, that looks great! Thanks heaps mate. I'm into the style and really like the crew at Andrews.

If there is nothing second hand quickly and easily I reckon I'll go this way

JP
Old 26-05-2020, 01:19 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Of interest to you, both the ones I bought were black in colour rather than white; not sure if that matters to you.