Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-09-2015, 06:01 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Parking PMX in The SkyX

Just a quick question for you guys using TSX. When defining the Park position, the manual says something along the lines of "For mounts in the Southern Hemisphere, do not choose a park position from due West to due East (Through South) or below the celestial pole. And not in a position which will cause the counterweight bar to sit above horizontal.

With my old mount I always parked the scope with the counterweight AND the scope in the horizontal position, on the East side of the mount. Only because it was a practical place to stow it when it was not in use, and it means there is no way I am able to clip the scope with the roof when I open it! If I forget to move the scope before hand!!!

If I understand what I have read in the instruction book, it is saying not to do this? Right??

Would it cause any harm doing it anyway?

Erik
Old 01-10-2015, 01:58 PM
PRejto (Peter)

I've been parking my MEII/TEC180 with the dec shaft horizontal to the ground but with the scope pointing straight up. No problem. I can't see why having the scope horizontal should make any difference.

Peter
Old 01-10-2015, 06:01 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
I've been parking my MEII/TEC180 with the dec shaft horizontal to the ground but with the scope pointing straight up. No problem. I can't see why having the scope horizontal should make any difference.

Peter
Thanks Peter, yeah I can't see a problem. Thought it might be because it screws up the synchronisation somehow. Don't see how it could though, or why the manual tries to make a point not too? I'll do it and see what happens!

Erik
Old 01-10-2015, 07:01 PM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Thanks Peter, yeah I can't see a problem. Thought it might be because it screws up the synchronisation somehow. Don't see how it could though, or why the manual tries to make a point not too? I'll do it and see what happens!

Erik
I don't overly trust the park function so I just "Home" after every park, just to make sure.....
Old 01-10-2015, 07:29 PM
gregbradley

I suspect its because they don't want you to park with pressure on the gears and it sits there like that for extended periods. The AP manual mention something like this.

Greg
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 AM
frolinmod

It has nothing to do with pressure on the gears or with messing up a sync. It has to do with ambiguous coordinates. Coordinates that can be pointed to with the mount on either side. If you choose ambiguous coordinates, you can flip a coin as to which side of the mount it will actually park on. Always park with the counterweights at least very slightly below the horizontal.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM
E_ri_k (Erik)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
It has nothing to do with pressure on the gears or with messing up a sync. It has to do with ambiguous coordinates. Coordinates that can be pointed to with the mount on either side. If you choose ambiguous coordinates, you can flip a coin as to which side of the mount it will actually park on. Always park with the counterweights at least very slightly below the horizontal.
Yes, that actually makes sense...
Thanks.
Erik.