Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-06-2013, 08:37 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Mount Hub Pro with GPS

Hi,

I purchased the Mount hub Pro GPS version a few days ago and it didn't come with any instructions whatsoever, only a link to their web site, which is fine I guess when the info there is good. Can you see what's coming?

I was kind of expecting the GPS to be just built in to the box but instead there appears to be a separate USB dongle and the only wording is BlueNext - which rather implies it is a Blutooth device (I do hope not though).

The instruction manuals online bear no resemblance whatsoever to reality, they don't even mention a separate device for GPS and all the links to the software are invalid, including the probable GPS driver on tinyurl, (only 'probable' because it is impossible to ascertain which device it is as mine doesn't look like any of the ones on the USGlobal site that the instructions provide!).

I have downloaded the Prolific PL2303 driver (I am using Windows 8 64 bit, which it says is supported) and installed it and hen I installed the ND-100S software that the PDF instructions also refer to.

Without the dongle plugged in my Mount Hub Pro is connected successfully (I get the Device HIDVID_12BF&PID_FF037&2360acc&0&000 0 was configured in device Manager, which they give as the correct). As soon as I plug the dongle in Device Manager only reports:CP2104 no driver installed so there is no port number hence I can't connect.

Has anyone used this version of the Mount Hub Pro and offer any advice to get it working?

Even if it does work how would this relay to the handset of the mount (EQ8) so that I don't have to put that in every time (I mean until EQMOD is working).

Cheers,

Chris
Old 26-06-2013, 11:01 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Can't help with the GPS version, sorry. I do know you need to plug the USB from the MHP into your computer before turning on the power to the MHP. I can also say that David from Hitecastro is very helpful via email, so suggest you try contacting him directly.
Old 26-06-2013, 11:57 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Chris, it says in the addendum to the MHP GPS doco that it has a GlobalSat GPS chipset built in. The link to that driver is http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/dow...test_setup.zip

The Prolific link is broken since they have updated the driver. Try http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41

Now I just need to go get mine and see if it works properly.
Old 27-06-2013, 11:56 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Chris, it says in the addendum to the MHP GPS doco that it has a GlobalSat GPS chipset built in. The link to that driver is http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/dow...test_setup.zip

The Prolific link is broken since they have updated the driver. Try http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41

Thanks Andrew for the links. I had actually managed to find them in the end, but alas the device still does not want to work - at least not with my Windows 8 64 bit O/S. I could try with my XP machine, but to be honest, even if it works it is no use. I have been meaning to move away from that machine for a while and now everything appears to work with 8 and I won't be returning to XP just for the GPS dongle. I can just buy another that does work for a fairly small outlay.

If you do get yours working though please do let me know.

Chris
Old 27-06-2013, 03:28 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post

Blimey, what a game. Nevertheless, I finally have the GPS dongle working. It does not work using the software links from hitechastro or the ones in the quote above. What you actually need is the USB drive CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip which is found here: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BC75XLT.
Old 28-06-2013, 02:52 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

May I suggest emailing Hitecastro so they can rectify the links etc?
Old 28-06-2013, 05:32 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
May I suggest emailing Hitecastro so they can rectify the links etc?
Yeah, I did as soon as I found the fix.
Old 28-06-2013, 08:27 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

That's the spirit
Old 28-06-2013, 08:56 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

David Breenan seemed quite grateful and has promised to update the documentation and make the driver available. I hope they do because I had a frustrating few days trying to make it work.
Old 28-06-2013, 07:42 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Mine has the GPS inside the box so it did not take up a USB port. I bought mine 2 years ago and have had no trouble with it in that time. Strangely the documentation that came with it mentioned the dongal but I could not find in the packing. I rang the dealer and he said they were now internal which it is. Funny how they have reverted and now the documentation is backward again. Mine works fine on 64bit win 7 but have not tried to hook it up to win8 yet, must try. One other thing, I have never managed to get the GPS working with any other software except the one bundled with the unit. I have tried the Celstron software (nexremote/GPS), MaximDL, The Sky X and Alignmaster which sees the GPS but cant read it. Spent ages mucking with baud rates and ports with no luck. Not sure how others have faired with this but would sure like to find a cure.

Mark
Old 28-06-2013, 09:32 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Well that's interesting because I really can't say the GPS is not built-in. It is quite possible I have a unit that is even older than yours. Perhaps it was just sat unsold in the shop for more than 2 years!
Old 28-06-2013, 10:51 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Well that's interesting because I really can't say the GPS is not built-in. It is quite possible I have a unit that is even older than yours. Perhaps it was just sat unsold in the shop for more than 2 years!
It would have a USB type GPS if it is not internal and you would have to plug it into one of the external ports to run it. My GPS shows up as a serial device in the device manager and is definitely internal.

Mark
Old 29-06-2013, 08:24 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
It would have a USB type GPS if it is not internal and you would have to plug it into one of the external ports to run it. My GPS shows up as a serial device in the device manager and is definitely internal.

Mark
yep, mine is working in that way too now.
Old 24-09-2015, 10:17 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Update - I happily got GPS going on my 2nd hand mount hub pro under Windows 7 32 bit by loading up:

USB driver: http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/Uni...CP_Windows.zip
ND-100s GPS software: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/dow...etup140328.zip

Thanks everyone for the links.