Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 09-02-2020, 10:28 AM
Nightingale

Has anyone already tested this eyepiece? So my order with agena astro is still stuck in customs.. and after a full on tanty with Agena, they have refunded in full (though i am still waiting for the funds to be debited formally).. So as far as onerousness, i can’t fault them.. but now that i have reversed my purchase, i need to know if this eyepiece is worth dying for, or was it a blessing in disguise that mine did not arrive?
Old 09-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Don Pensack

It has been cloudy here for 2 months, so I haven't done much of a nighttime test.
I plan to do so if it's clear this month.
There appear to be a couple eccentricities I'll be looking for.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Startrek (Martin)

We’ve had bushfires for nearly 3 months with smoke filled skies and now we have monsoon type conditions ( +300mm of rain ) for the next 2 weeks
Hope to get back down to my weekender ( Bortle 3 skies ) late February or early March
Ive had my Apollo 11 eye piece for about 6 weeks now and still waiting patiently to trial it with a 50% waning or waxing moon to do some detail lunar landscape observations. First location , you guessed it Mare Tranquillitatis
Old 09-02-2020, 08:03 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

At the price I have better things to spend the money on
Old 09-02-2020, 10:46 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Martin, I'm waiting rather impatiently for your first light report on your Apollo eyepiece. I think it is a fantastic buy and good on you for pulling the trigger. Considering a common ethos that lots of people own is at least a grand I reckon the 11 is going to hold its value well. Who cares anyway as your not going to sell it and the 2000au it cost will fade into insignificance very quickly. Cheers Richard

Last edited by croweater; 09-02-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Puntuation
Old 10-02-2020, 07:18 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Richard
Thanks
As soon as get a chance to use it I will post a report
Martin
Old 11-02-2020, 10:46 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

I don't drink or smoke. I take that money and buy whatever eyepiece or scope I want
Old 18-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Barry
Thanks for your comments
Martin
Old 19-02-2020, 12:07 PM
m11 (Mel)

Just want to say congratulations on the purchase of the Televue Apollo 11 eyepiece.

Main thing is you get enjoyment out of it as life is too short to have regrets and worries, we get enough this from work and family.

All the best,

M11
Old 19-02-2020, 12:38 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

I might get one more for the binodob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TV11.jpg)
176.0 KB45 views
Old 19-02-2020, 01:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Mel
Thanks for the positive feedback , some folk not many, had a bit of a joke about this eye piece and that’s fine , but it is a high quality optical instrument designed and manufactured by an experienced professional company and produced to commemorate one of humankind’s most incredible scientific and technological achievements of the 20th century ( and I was privileged to see the landing as a kid in senior primary school on a tiny black and white TV set )

Barry
Sorry mate there’s no more being made , Australia (Bintel) was lucky enough to secure six ( and one of those six is in their eye piece display cabinet ) I was at Bintel this morning buying another mount and saw it there.
If your a game person , send yours to China and get a copy made up. I wonder how it would look like or perform when it came back ? Hmm.......... maybe not a good idea !!
Old 19-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Nightingale

Barry, test the eyepiece and let us know what you think of it in comparison with your other ones...
BTW, i think you have exfoliative dermatitis of the hand.. i see the skin pealing off it... could be an allergy to Televue eyepieces (joke)
Old 19-02-2020, 02:43 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

As a self employed furniture removalist the old hands take a bit of a caning. It's a paid daily workout though that pays dividends too as I get older
I have achieved a kind of virtuous circle where my source of income complements my hobby.

Only got the eyepiece the other day and the weather gods are fickle, will try eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Truck n scope.jpg)
113.6 KB33 views
Old 19-02-2020, 03:29 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Mel
Thanks for the positive feedback , some folk not many, had a bit of a joke about this eye piece and that’s fine , but it is a high quality optical instrument designed and manufactured by an experienced professional company and produced to commemorate one of humankind’s most incredible scientific and technological achievements of the 20th century ( and I was privileged to see the landing as a kid in senior primary school on a tiny black and white TV set )

Barry
Sorry mate there’s no more being made , Australia (Bintel) was lucky enough to secure six ( and one of those six is in their eye piece display cabinet ) I was at Bintel this morning buying another mount and saw it there.
If your a game person , send yours to China and get a copy made up. I wonder how it would look like or perform when it came back ? Hmm.......... maybe not a good idea !!
Hi Martin
I hope my comments on the eyepiece has not made you think I was having a laugh at your expense as this is not the case because what you do with your hard earned is nothing to do with me my comments were only about eyepieces that you could have procured at a lot less that are noted world beaters the Docter 12.5 and 12.5 Nikon Nav Hw if you wanted to step into 100 deg territory at very close to that fl the thing that has annoyed me about TeleVue is to limit the availability and charge an arm and a leg for the privilege to own one especially when the 2 Sx Ethos eyepieces are excellent lunar viewing eyepieces and do what they should give you a feeling that you could nearly step onto it, Before all you people that went out and spent a horrendous amount of coin on this ep this is just my opinion and have the right to voice it..
Old 19-02-2020, 09:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Andrew
No problem at all with your comments, and yes Televue in general cost an arm and a leg
In the US they are half the price of what us poor buggers down under have to shell out
The joys of being on the ass end of the planet in regard to transportation and import costs etc..
My journey nearly 4 years ago was starting with cheap Chinese Plössl eye pieces and then a quantum leap to Televue, couldn’t get away from them as the views were incredible
I’ve stuck with Televue ever since
Cheers
Old 19-02-2020, 10:44 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Congratulations to all of the owners in this thread!

What a lovely and historic moment. Visual astronomy is often a solitary place that we enjoy but you will be sharing it, at least in spirit, with the greats of space exploration whether you use it in the field or just enjoy it as part of your collection, never to see the sky.

Pure art

(If you do use it - first light HAS to be Mare Tranquillitatis)
Old 20-02-2020, 12:12 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hey Martin,

Enjoy that exclusive eyepiece knowing that you will get enjoyment out of it.

I do love Televue eyepieces as well, like an addiction.

Would have been an amazing period to live through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Mel

Barry
Old 20-02-2020, 05:19 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Jonathan
Thanks for your kind comments
If you look back through the thread , I did mention the first location I would like to use this eye piece ( and yes you guessed it )
Cheers

Mel
Thanks
The Apollo program was an incredible and exciting period of time for young and old to live through. Cant wait for the next phase of exploration “Back to the Moon” and “On to Mars” over the next 10 to 15 years
Old 20-02-2020, 01:37 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hopefully as you mentioned we get a buzz going with back to the moon and Mars

Might create some more amatuer astronomers and new friends to view with - inspire a new generation.
Old 21-02-2020, 07:02 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
will it fall in value if we never went to the moon
Tsk, tsk.